THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Addition of Rail for Optic Site
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Addition of Rail for Optic Site
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Ok double gun guys...here's my question, have any of you had a rail mounted on your doubles to allow for a red-dot holographic site to added to your double???

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
My Merkel came with a Recknagle QD scope mount with 1 inch rings. Recknagel makes the same sort of thing for red dot sights (it's basically the scope mount with an integral Weaver type rail). That's what I'm planning to get and use a Trijicon RMR. I used a Trijicon TriPower on my Krieghoff for tuskless and buffalo. It looked awful but worked great.

There was a guy in Texas who made a short rail mount that fit on Krieghoffs and that's what I used. I don't think he sells the part anymore though.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PSmith:
My Merkel came with a Recknagle QD scope mount with 1 inch rings. Recknagel makes the same sort of thing for red dot sights (it's basically the scope mount with an integral Weaver type rail). That's what I'm planning to get and use a Trijicon RMR. I used a Trijicon TriPower on my Krieghoff for tuskless and buffalo. It looked awful but worked great.

There was a guy in Texas who made a short rail mount that fit on Krieghoffs and that's what I used. I don't think he sells the part anymore though.

Paul,

Now I see why you asked me that question in my shop a few days ago. Great idea! My only hesitation would be for close up shots on charging game (although I have not experienced such a charge).

We are of similar age, with similar eye issues. We need all the help we can get. I still want to shoot that gun.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
The Sabbati came drilled for and included a rail sight. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7143 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Heym offers a small base that fits on to the rib of a Heym with minor machining to the rib. The metal work was done by JJ at Champlin. I then mounted a Docter red dot sight. Small, easily removed with a set screw and most effective! Call Chris at Heym AKA New Guy and check it out. My gun is at the stock maker or I would post a picture. Perhaps Chris has a photo to send you. Perfect for my 68 year old eyes!

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
Jerad,
Did you buy that .500 NE Merkel???

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36556 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Mike, well I had two of your fine beers and none of your barbeque so I likely wasn't clear about the sight and base idea. Drinking plus empty stomach = Bad.

I have a Recknagel catalog that is in German but there is a mount that looks like it would work assuming it has the same dimensions as to one I already have. Although if it's Recknagel it has to be spendy.

It's on the 17th page of this document:

http://www.recknagel.de/Joomla...tagen%20Teil%201.pdf

With my old geezer eyes I do need some help that's for sure. The Trijicon TriPower I used last time was great other than its large size; these new Trijicon RMR sights are really small.

I can't wait until the next shoot at Feather & Fly!

So Oryx, I think Recknagel probably has a solution to any double you are thinking of, obvously with some gunsmithing.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LJS:
Heym offers a small base that fits on to the rib of a Heym with minor machining to the rib. The metal work was done by JJ at Champlin. I then mounted a Docter red dot sight. Small, easily removed with a set screw and most effective! Call Chris at Heym AKA New Guy and check it out. My gun is at the stock maker or I would post a picture. Perhaps Chris has a photo to send you. Perfect for my 68 year old eyes!

I had JJ do the same thing with my Chapuis. Ivan Carter had a Trijicon RMR mounted on his double when he used it for a Wyoming elk hunt earlier this year.

Posts: 119 | Location: Redmond, WA | Registered: 06 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
awesome, all of this is great advice, thank you guys for your imput!!

jerad

Posts: 725 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 October 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Since most of these holo sites are setup for a Weaver style base and since most DR's have a solid rib w/o the cutouts for scope mounts like Chapuis. (and maybe Heym?) What about taking a Weaver mount for a 2 pc. mount 9like a bolt gun has,) then mill out the bottom lengthwise so it straddles the rib and use 2 screws to hold it down. It'd need to be taller than the Weavers I've seen so there'd be enough room for the mounts hold down clamp screw.
It would need to be short enough to be able to see the iron sights.
What's your thoughts?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have scope rings aimpoint makes a long red dot that is very nice and very light. On my 470 the bell would prevent the removal of the rig useing the claw mounts. I liked it better than a scope , becaouse it was not overhanging the top lever and made loading easier.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
I thought I saw on AR somewhere that a guy had an adapter for the Burris Red dot on his double.

and here it is.

http://forums.accuratereloadin...771076501#5771076501

Posts: 6389 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Since most of these holo sites are setup for a Weaver style base and since most DR's have a solid rib w/o the cutouts for scope mounts like Chapuis. (and maybe Heym?) What about taking a Weaver mount for a 2 pc. mount 9like a bolt gun has,) then mill out the bottom lengthwise so it straddles the rib and use 2 screws to hold it down. It'd need to be taller than the Weavers I've seen so there'd be enough room for the mounts hold down clamp screw.
It would need to be short enough to be able to see the iron sights.
What's your thoughts?

Mike, by using the Henneberger mount and dovetailing the rib like Heym does, allows the Red Dot to be mounted much lower.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote