New
Find
Notify
Tools

600NE Brass...
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It looks like one of our friends picked up a VC 600NE this weekend, he's asked me to get an eye out for some brass.

Can anyone here steer me to a source who has brass in stock?

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Huntingtons is where I got some Ozzie brass recently.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
How much do you want?

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think 20 or so pieces will get him rolling with his new rifle.

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
I think 20 or so pieces will get him rolling with his new rifle.

Cheers
Tinker

Kynoch, BeLL or Wolfe?

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great question Gator.

I just don't know, I've never run a .600 nitro neither has the fellow who just picked up the new double rifle.

How would you characterize each different choice?

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
Picture of bwananelson
posted Hide Post
i got a lead will see tomorrow not to many rounds to the pound huh.a.tinkerer it was great talking to you in reno cant wait to go to Vegas,might do Dallas and Vegas next year.

DRSS,SCI.
ZOLI 9.3X74R (2)
Zoli 450 400 NE
Merkel 470 NE
V-C 600 NE
VICTOR SARASQUETA 375

Posts: 351 | Location: deltona florida | Registered: 09 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I have experience with Bertram, Horneber and Kynoch.

The Bertram are significantly heavier than either the Horneber or Kynoch. Based on this I suspect that the Bertram are thicker walled or have a thicker web and may have slightly smaller capacity. Therefore, if using loads developed in Horneber or Kynoch cases, I would back off on powder a bit, chrono them and work up to the "regulation" load when switching to Bertram. This is of course what anyone should do with any change in any component (there was a whole thread on this very subject and the dangers of not doing so) but I want to put it out there as a reminder.

The Kynoch are a few ten-thousandths of an inch smaller in diameter just ahead of the rim than either the Bertram or Horneber. All are within specifications, but that's just the way it is with the batches I have. If you run into tight feeding or extraction with either Bertram or Horneber you might want to try Kynoch. Alternatively, you can mill off the bevel at the base of a resizing die so that the last 2mm of the case above the rim is resized along with the rest of the body.

I have both CH4 and RCBS dies in 600NE - both are equally good in my experience with giant-bore calibers.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc-

Thanks for pitching in with clarifications for BwanaNelson.

Nelson-

The pleasure was mine!
Again, big congrats on the rifle.
As you're digging around while making space for the new 600 and you realize that night scope is just clogging your life and in the way, box it up and send it out to my hill - I'll run a full evaluation of it on coyote!!

Cheers
Tinker

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
He's planning on using that on the 600! (With lot'sa duct tape to mount it with I'm sure!) Big Grin Wink Big Grin

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Would like to find some more Horneber. Huntingtons has only Bertram and neither custombrassandbullets nor Horneber has answered my emails.

Any other sources?

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
http://www.custombrassandbullets.com/brass.html

or Graff and Son

http://www.grafs.com/index.php

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Hey Mike,
Custombrassandbullets hasn't answered my email requests regarding 600NE Horneber brass and Graffs seems to have only Bertram 600NE brass (as does Huntingtons).
Thanks for looking, though.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
A call to Huntingtons asking about delivery tim for the bras would probably be the best way. I suppose it's possible to order direct from Horneber but it'll be $pendy. Look for the Kynoch dist. in the US. IIRC he's down in S.C. or that area.

But the Bertram stuff I have looks pretty good also.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
I'll give Huntingtons a call again as you suggest. I do have Bertram 600NE brass as well and have had no problems with it.
Thanks again.

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Well Huntingtons told me last week only have Bertram but website now has Horneber listed as "New". tu2