Find
Notify
Tools

458 Lott DR
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of PWN375
posted
Setting aside the issue of a rimless round in a DR. If a guy had a 458 Win Mag DR why couldn't he have it chambered for 458 Lott? If he did so he would be able to easily load to 2150 FPS, get less chamber pressure and still be able to shoot commonly available 458 Win Mag in an emergency? Except for the rimless issue, wouldn't this be a win-win situation?

Perry

Posts: 1144 | Location: Green Country Oklahoma | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:
Setting aside the issue of a rimless round in a DR. If a guy had a 458 Win Mag DR why couldn't he have it chambered for 458 Lott? If he did so he would be able to easily load to 2150 FPS, get less chamber pressure and still be able to shoot commonly available 458 Win Mag in an emergency? Except for the rimless issue, wouldn't this be a win-win situation?

Perry

It absolutely would make sense! One of the guys that comes down to the Band of Bubbas shoots re-chambered a double trigger CZ O/U double from 458 Win Mag, to 458 LOTT, loaded it down to 458 win mag "ADVERTIZED" speed, and it still regulated, and shot well!

To me, however, it would be better to rechamber to 450NE 3 1/4", and be done with it! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
I have shot robgunbuilder's CZ O/U, that was punched out to a Lott, it worked great. Mjines also has one of the CZ O/U 458 Winnes, not sure if he has turned it into a Lott.

The biggest "defect" with these, is they are not SxS. Other than that they are just fine.

Keith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here even I have to draw the line. While I wouldn't hesitate - and don't - taking a 458wm against any dangerous game, I just don't see the point. The 458wm is plenty of cartridge for any animal.

If your going to go to the expense, risk and trouble of rechambering, might as well go with the 450 3 1/4".

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In theory, yes it would. There was a nice Jeffery .450 No. 2 for sale a few years ago...with an extra set of Ferlach .458 Win Mag barrels that had been added later (probably when .450 No. 2 ammo was impossible), that were still later re-chambered to .450 No. 2. Had the extra set been left alone, perhaps that would have been the true ideal - if your ammo didn't make it, you could just buy .458 ammo and use the other set of barrels in the pinch.

However, with just the one set, if you're already going to punch them out - makes more sense to go to one of the .450 flanged rounds.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Perry,

That was my rational when I purchased my first heavy DG rifle in 458 Lott...I have one of the first production run Ruger's in 458 Lott.
Ammo lost there is plenty of 458 winny ammo in Africa...Any ammo is better then no ammo!!!

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems to me that there is a Lott of confusion here.Smiler

The Lott and the .458 are suitable cartridges, no doubt about that.

The problem is that anyone that would own a double rifle in a belted or rimless round is a very foolish person. That belt or rimless round can and will jump the ejectors or extractors sooner or later and that gun is then out of commission. Murphys law says it will do that at the most inopertune time and I know a very well known Zim PH that this happened to during a very inopertune time.

The intelligent thing to do with a .458 Win mag that is a DR is to rechamber to a 450-3 1/4", in fact that is the only intelligent thing to do.

This is an issue and the most important issue, it cannot be disregarded IMO>

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PWN375:
Setting aside the issue of a rimless round in a DR
Perry
thumbdown

NO, NO, NO!!! horse

PLEASE STOP!! PLEASE? stir

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote