New
Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel for Sale on GI
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
For anyone wanting to get in on the Double Rifles Shooting Society at a real steal, then "Blackbern", who I believe is Ken Buch's son, has a Merkel 140 in .416 Rigby with beautiful wood for sale for only $5999.

Now that's a steal, even if you don't really like a belted cartridge in a DR. At that money, one could have their DR and still pay for a nice hunt.

Thankfully I just bought a Bradshaw, so I'm out of funds or else I would be tempted.

Mike

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Some interested guns (Double Rifles) on GI at the moment.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505G:
Some interested guns (Double Rifles) on GI at the moment.

I've sold a lot of Merkel DR's over the past 11 years, but nothing, regardless of caliber, at that kind of price.

I have sold two .416 Rig's in the past in the Merkel, have shot them both, and that is a kicking SOB in that caliber; more so than the .450/400 or .470. It think it has to do with the velocity increase. The recoil of the .416 is on par with the .500 Merkel.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Even better; 416s don't have belts.
"even if you don't really like a belted cartridge.."
We know what you mean.

Posts: 17282 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
At the opposite end of the scale, what is it with the huge prices on some of the H&H et al, guns
at Connecticut Shotgun and others etc ?

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
md...what happened to your pursuit of the 375 Flanged Mag on a group purchase?? Did that fall through with no interest from the factory??
I am still waiting anxiously with baded breath....not holding my breath!!
Cheers

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 470EDDY:
md...what happened to your pursuit of the 375 Flanged Mag on a group purchase?? Did that fall through with no interest from the factory??
I am still waiting anxiously with baded breath....not holding my breath!!
Cheers

At this point it has fallen through. Their explanation is that it would require a lot of re-tooling, and they would need a very large first order to make it feasible. I don't understand this, but then again I don't build them.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike-
Check your PM's

Also, Blackbern is my son. He took the Merkel on trade and wants a fast flip. I suggested to him he also post it here in the classifieds

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
Dang. If I hadn't just bought a siace that puppy would be mine! I've been looking for DG mate for my 140 in 6.5x55. Hmmmmm...

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
HUMMMMM, I find that interesting too....they must use a set of jigs to set and connect barrels...but is would seem to me that they could use all of their 9.3x74R tooling with 375 bbls and chambering tool for 375 Flanged...pretty much the same??
OH well, they are in the drivers seat....just pushes toward VC and Chapuis...or a new build Bradshaw.
I like the idea of a nice little Droplock Bradshaw in 375 Flanged!!...also keeping up with Biebs too!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2676 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
At the opposite end of the scale, what is it with the huge prices on some of the H&H et al, guns
at Connecticut Shotgun and others etc ?

It is my understanding that many of those high priced doubles are "with provenance, ie from the Bob Petersen collection that he has had access to selling??
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks. Now you mention it, I remember the name,
not that I call that provenance.

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. Now you mention it, I remember the name,
not that I call that provenance.

Bob Petersen was owner/publisher of Peterson Publications...Guns and Ammo, Peterson's Hunting, many, many gun and also well known auto magazines....I recall 55 in all. He was a philanthropist and collected guns and probably had one of the finest collections in the Country if not the world.....he donated Half of it to the NRA which you can visit in Virginia NRA Museum....quite a show for any of us!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I still don't get it, for the first time double rifle owners why they don't make a move on this rifle. Whether you like the caliber or not, this is a great buy, and I don't have a dog in the fight.

Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
And Too Many More

One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Well we know the potential issues with high pressure cartridges in double rifles.

Having said that there does seem to be some merit in a two rifle battery with this Merkel along with a bolt rifle in .416 Rigby. Having one type of ammunition would simplify things for sure.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
416 Rig is not one of the "high" pressure cartridges like the 458 Win Mag, although it is higher than the usual Nitro Express. 17 tons (measured by the British system) Or 47000 PSI is not considered overly high and a Merkel will handle it; no problem. Others do not like rimless ammo in a DR; still, this is a great deal.

Posts: 17282 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Personally,IMHO I don't think the 416 Rigby in any double is a good choice-rimless cartridge!
Further, I don't think the Merkel is the right weight to handle a cartridge of this amount of power/recoil....unless you are a glutton for punishment!
I would call a very knowledgeable double gunsmith like JJ at Champlin and ask about the viability of this cartridge in these doubles...I recall that they have some experience with them.
I want a 416 Rigby so bad I can taste it....but I will go with a Bolt Gun...I had a pre-64 Model 70 being built for 18 years....the gunmaker died... I am still looking!! If this was a good one.....I would have been there, done that already!!
Cheers,

470EDDY