New
Find
Notify
Tools

375 Flanged Magnum
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Any of you gents that own one of these fine doubles care to tell me what kind of velocity you are getting with 270 and/or 300 gr bullets? According to Taylor's book, a 300 gr got about 2450 fps. I just saw some paperwork for Butch's regulation round with a 300 gr bullet from 26" barrels and it say 63 gr of RL 15 with a 300 gr bullet for 2250 fps. Now Butch has never been one to "load 'em light" in my experience, so am just curious. I ran the load thru a ballistic program and that load show 2364 fps.

Thanks.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gary,

Not sure that Taylor did more than repeat the advertising from ammo makers when it came to velocity. In that vein, Kynamco lists their .375 flanged ammuntion as 2600 fps for the 270 grain bullet and 2425 fps for the 300 grain either solid or soft.

Regards, Tim

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Tim....I saw that also. I know that typically Butch will load his rounds at least to "historical" if not slightly warm velocities. Quickload gives his charge of RL 15 a number of 2365 fps from 26" barrels....100 fps more than what the paperwork shows.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tim Carney:
Gary,

Not sure that Taylor did more than repeat the advertising from ammo makers when it came to velocity. In that vein, Kynamco lists their .375 flanged ammuntion as 2600 fps for the 270 grain bullet and 2425 fps for the 300 grain either solid or soft.

Regards, Tim

Yes. Standard for the .375 Flanged Magnum has always been 2,425 fps for the 300 grain - in 28" barrels. In 24" you would expect 2,300 to maybe 2,350. In barrels of equal length, factory 286 grain 9.3X74R (same SD as 300 grain .375) gives the same velocity. It's a shame the Flanged Magnum brass can be such a pain.
---------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would love to have a .375 Flanged mag but the brass issues have kept me cooled off on actually pursuing one.

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Jamison is now producing it. Hopefully, the supply issues have become a problem of the past.

http://www.midwayusa.com/BROWS...*652***670***9013***

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If brass becomes reasonably available, and THEY build a flanged 375 on the same frame as a 9.3...it will sell beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Head diameter is too great. Wouldn't want to depend on Jamison until they get quality under control.
-----------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Fired this gun at the range today...it has 26" barrels. Safari Arms loaded the ammo for the gent and it says 63 gr of RL 15 and Fed 215 primers. In my Oehler at 10 feet from the muzzle, the softs clocked at 2475 and the solids at 2500. I called Butch and we agreed that is too hot. I'm going to load some for him at 60 gr and see what happens. The barrels weren't crossing, but for me, they seemed to be landing on top of each other at 50 yards....accurate, but those velocities are too high. I'm going to pull a couple of bullets for him and see if indeed the powder charge weights 63 gr....Safari Arms IS a very reputable company...but I need to see for myself.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC