New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rail-Mount Question ???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted

Not the best photo in the world but how do you mount a scope with built-in rail on a double rifle?

Does anyone have some good quality photos showing the process?

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Bill:

I don't know wheher it is the same, but the rail mount scope on my drilling uses a claw base that mates to the rail.

Dave

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3839 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
DB Bill - if you look closely at the bottom of your scope (on the rail) you'll see a few holes. The majority of these scopes (with rails) were drilled so that the bases could be mounted to the rail.

Today, however, most scope mfg.s make some sort of mount (on the rail) that does not require drilling of the rail, but rather the "bases" lock into the bottom of the rail - usually from the bottom side of the rail.

Swarovski, S&B, Zeiss, etc... all have thier own version of this concept.

If you were buying a new scope today for a rail mount, I would reccomend one of the newer models that have this feature - they will keep you from having to drill holes in the scope rail as shown in your photo above.

The second part of the answer to your question (how to mount them on a DR) is that the quarter rib is machined and claw "feet" are hand-fitted into the top rib. It's in these "feet" that the "claws" lock into.

Although the rail is drilled on the scope below, you can see where the 1/4 rib has been machined to accept the "feet." The whole thing is really best described with a photo.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
your scope shown is the wrong one for a double rifle .

the rail under the forward objective is for attaching to a barrel mounted base on a bolt rifle.

for double rifles the rail is only under the center tube.

i have a few of these old style scopes with the center rail and can supply the claw bases and the "hooks" that attach to the rails.

if you have the money, buy the ones the heym chap mentioned. they are expensive but excellent.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn that's a nice looking rifle.

Thanks to all that answered.

DB Bill aka Bill George

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
I love rail scopes. The former rail model had to be drilled through and gunmakers have a special holding bracket to be sure the rail is drilled square (see O/U pic).

The new rail model is attached via an internal Piccatiny system and there's no drilling involved, you can mount it yourself (see Blaser pic).

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Kassel optik 6x heavy post. It is mounted to a brno 06. What is it worth? Can a valmout base be machined to accept it.

JD

DRSS
9.3X74 tika 512
9.3X74 SXS
Merkel 140 in 470 Nitro