THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    OK, rechambering .45-70 Sabatti
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OK, rechambering .45-70 Sabatti
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
I'm just daydreaming about a double rifle that I can afford, and the Sabatti in .45-70 emerges. When the Remington/Baikal .45-70 doubles were first proposed, many here talked of having them rechambered. But when the rifles actually arrived it was immediately apparent that the chassis was inadequate for anything but .45-70.
The Sabatti appears to be a different creature, capable of being safely rechambered to .45-90 or .45-110, with the attendant increase in performance at reasonable pressure nudging it toward DG-capable status.
The critical issue then becomes regulation. Anyone out there thinking along these lines?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
The more I think about it, the more I think I ought to just cowboy up and find another $2K and buy the damned .450 NE.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16653 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:
The more I think about it, the more I think I ought to just cowboy up and find another $2K and buy the damned .450 NE.

That is most likely the best idea, because it will cost you close to $1K for the rechambering, and may cause a re-regulating to the tune of about another $1k with the re-regulating, and the ammo used for the job.

I was lucky with a Pedersoli 45-70 which regulated perfectly from the factory, and I re-chambered it to 458 RCBS and it still regulates well,but that is not always the case with re-chamberings on double rifles.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
9.3X74R!!!

Posts: 1083 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 05 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Much better idea beer

DRSS &
Bolt Action Trash

Posts: 860 | Location: Arizona + Just as far as memory reaches | Registered: 04 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know. Buy a reamer and do the rechamber yourself..$100 of so.

The Sabatti 45/90s are regulated with 300g bullets.

I was thinking a 45/90 would do the trick and add a bit of umph. But only because I have a bunch of gas checked 300g 45/90 ammo.

If you are thinking 400gr or 500gr bullets...I'd pass.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

now you're thinking....

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Rechambering is easy; definitely not $1k, but shooting a 7.5 pound rifle at increased velocites and bullet weight might be "interesting". Also, I am concerned that they used the Hornady 300 grain load for regulation when I like a 350 or 400 in the 45-70. I have had lower penetration with the 300s, (not the Lever stuff, never shot that). Get a 450-400.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill

Yes buy the 450 NE....

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would question if there is enough difference in performance between the 45-70 and the 45-90 or 110, to make it worth the trouble?
Seems like the 450NE would be the goal, but then wouldn't one need a faster twist rate to stabilize a 480-500gr slug?
I would think that $2K difference is cheap, to buy one already done like you want. I'm no expert...just my thoughts... bewildered
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrodave:
I would question if there is enough difference in performance between the 45-70 and the 45-90 or 110, to make it worth the trouble?
Seems like the 450NE would be the goal, but then wouldn't one need a faster twist rate to stabilize a 480-500gr slug?
I would think that $2K difference is cheap, to buy one already done like you want. I'm no expert...just my thoughts... bewildered
ND

I agree, but I have noticed in the DR community some people like to take a sow's ear and turn it into a silk purse. LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Unless you figure out an easy way to make the thin rim of the 450 NE as thick as the rim of the 45-70 it won't work.

If you want to play try "Jeffe's" 45-120 Nitro loads and rechamber with those. But then you'd probably hit the re-regulating problem. Cha-Ching!

Get what you want in the first place and don't cobble it up. You'll be happier.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Unless you figure out an easy way to make the thin rim of the 450 NE as thick as the rim of the 45-70 it won't work.

The thin rim on the 450NE is no problem because the rim is a larger diameter than the 45-70, and the recess for the rim in the barrel, and the extractor are larger as well, so simply cut the recess shollower!

quote:
If you want to play try "Jeffe's" 45-120 Nitro loads and rechamber with those. But then you'd probably hit the re-regulating problem. Cha-Ching!

Get what you want in the first place and don't cobble it up. You'll be happier.

quote:
by RDB
The Sabatti 45/90s are regulated with 300g bullets.

I was thinking a 45/90 would do the trick and add a bit of umph. But only because I have a bunch of gas checked 300g 45/90 ammo.

It is not only a different weight bullet that may cause a regulation problem. It is a combination of bullet weight, amount of recoil, and speed of the bullet that makes regulation work or fail.

Changing anything from re-chambering to a more powerfull cartridge, to useing a heavier, or lighter bullet in the origenal chambering can give regulation problems, to loading the same weight bullet to a faster, or slower velocity in the origenal chambering can destroy regulation. It can change with only one componant change.

The origenal 45-70 will most likely regulate the 400 gr bullets well enough if you don't push it too hard.

IMO the best choice is to simply buy the one chambered for 450NE and be done with it!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
The thin rim on the 450NE is no problem because the rim is a larger diameter than the 45-70, and the recess for the rim in the barrel, and the extractor are larger as well, so simply cut the recess shollower!

Hey Mac,

Not quite. There isn't enough difference in the rim diameters to do that. Have to fill up, or almost, the rim cut out for the 45-70 and then run the reamer in for the 450.

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19366 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, there is very little difference in the rim diameters of those 2 cartridge cases.
CIP drawings show a difference on the radius of around .008".

That's nowhere near enough!

Much simpler to just buy the 450 NE to start with IMO.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
The origenal 45-70 will most likely regulate the 400 gr bullets well enough if you don't push it too hard.

IMO the best choice is to simply buy the one chambered for 450NE and be done with it!

I'd bet not on the 400s. And agree with the second unless you wanted a 45/90 and plan on shooting the original Win. HV loads...even then it is nothing but a crap shoot and likely not worth the 3K as a bet.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
As I remember, PWN375 re-chambered a Pedersoli 45/70 into a 450 #2 NE. It shot well enough to not have to be re-regulated.

I seem to recall his description of the re-chambered rifle as. . Brisk!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote