Find
Notify
Tools

optic site question
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hello All,

As painful as it is to admit I find that my once youthful vision has deteriorated to the point that holding a fine bead over the sites of my double is becoming frustratingly more and more difficult. So much so that I have resigned myself to the fact that I need to install an optic (gag) of some type on my double.

I'm leaning heavily towards one of the reflex sites such as the Leupold Delta point or Trijicon RMR.

My question for you, is that for those of you who may use these or similar sites what would be your recommendation, pros, cons, other alternatives?

Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 63 | Location: Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 11 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Best "optic" for a double rifle is a good pair of eye glasses.

clap

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Longfeather:

Depending on the rib configuration, an aperture rear sight--with changeable apertures--can be fitted to your rifle. I did this recently on a 470 Chapuis and it has worked well, providing quicker acquisition and better sight picture than traditional "open" sights would have with my vision when young.

Dave Manson

Posts: 690 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 04 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
As Dave said-- aperture (aka "peep") works well
I however find that the small red dots are even faster for my old eyes.

I prefer the Doctor (Noblex) 3.25 MOA on my DR's
Mostly due to the lack of lens color distortion.

I do own a Delta Point on a hand gun as well-
and Burris FastFire , Vortex etc-

and- a few RMR's both tritium and electronic, with the 1 MOA being my favorite handgun unit.

JJ Perodeau (and others I am sure) can and will mill your rib for a mount.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
My eyes now make using irons almost impossible.

I own the Burris FASTFire on a 500NE DR, I've also had one on a 458 Bolt. I currently have the Vortex Venom and the Leopold Delta Point Pro, both as yet uninstalled. My SIL had an RMR on his 500NE DR.

Keep in mind that a 3MOA red dot is what you want. Certainly nothing larger than 3.5MOA. This can be a problem with the RMR brand. My SIL found the RMR dot was covering his animal.

You need nothing special for mounting on a large bore. We only had larger bolts placed through the standard mounts into the tapped center rib. Burris makes a cross slot, flat bottom rear mount for a Savage rifle that we have used multiple times on center ribs.

The red dots work very well on our DRs and have accounted for Ele for both my SIL and I. I still prefer low powered variable scopes on my big bore DG bolt guns.

NOTE: I corrected the red dot size above as I erred in the original post

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my mid 70s I also need optical help. I find the RMRs work well for me on my dangerous game double rifles. However, I personally prefer a larger than 1 min. dot. Up close and personal the loss of precision is not as important to me as very rapidly acquiring the target.

Posts: 159 | Location: Dallas area | Registered: 07 October 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
gbs
agree, I also prefer the 3.25 MOA Noblex/Doctor on the doubles, much faster for older eyes , particularly on rapidly moving game

Although , I like the 1 MOA on a handgun

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
GBS & Clan_Colla,

I made a correction to the dot size in my above post. Not sure what I was thinking but yes, a 3MOA is the preferred size. Thanks for pointing this out.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Clan_Colla
posted Hide Post
LionHunter
understood-

FYI, I have used my 1MOA on the DR's when developing loads.

The smaller dot is very helpful in that situation--
just too small for my eyes for "quick" work

Posts: 633 | Location: Texas | Registered: 30 December 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LionHunter, can you give more info on the flat base Savage you mentioned. Could be ticket for me. Thanks, Bob

Posts: 1284 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: 20 October 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
The base I use is made by Burris. It is designed to fit a Savage rifle that requires a "flat" rear base. Easy enough to find the correct model by doing some simple research online or perhaps calling Burris customer service. I am in the process of moving all my guns, safes and equipment so cannot look for the info here just now.

Only the rear base is needed and I have never been able to convince Burris to sell me only the rear base. This is a steel, "cross-slot" base and you can place it anywhere along the center rib. We usually mount ours about halfway towards the rear sight. We drill and tap the rib for "oversized" screws and our smith has also put some glue on the bottom of the base. Never had an issue on either of the 500NE DR and we shoot a lot with full power loads at the range prior to safari departures.

We plan to use this method on a 577NE, a 450-400NE and some additional 500NE DRs.

Hope this helps.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Burris Fastfire. Drifted the standing leaf base out and replaced it with one I made to fit.
I have never regretted that!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Todd Williams:
Best "optic" for a double rifle is a good pair of eye glasses.

clap

Absolutely! That is if your eyes are simply aging naturally. However, in my case I have developed Macular degeneration in my right eye, and I am right handed. This will not work with just a pair of eye glasses.

My right eye can still make out a lighted reticle dot on the scope or Docter optic sight, and with both eyes open, the lighted point in the optic sight merges with the left eyesight because of the binocular effect. Of course that isn't of any use to someone with normal ageing eyes.

When one owns several double rifles this can get expensive setting them all up with this problem fix!

……………………………………………….. old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After using a Burris Fastfire on a double rifle with such good results I now have a setup for all my DG rifles currently in use. By far the fastest sighting system for up close and personal. A RMR will shoot to POA with dot no matter how your rifle is held, if you can see the dot and hold steady it will work, even when your eye is not directly aligned with the rifle.

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
In case you have not seen the discussion on the optics forum, and since I notice the Burris Fastfire mentioned here, cock an I eye behind this:

http://forums.accuratereloadin...1421043/m/7031016252

Posts: 5012 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of AK_Stick
posted Hide Post
I have an RMR with the 12 MOA green triangle, with the gun zeroed at 50 yards to the very top of the triangle.

It’s very fast.

Only Angels and Aviators have wings

Posts: 263 | Location: The frozen north, between deployments | Registered: 03 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Damn the naysayer's! You can't hit what you can't see to aim with. I'm in the same boat, and I have made the with to the Leopold Deltapoint with zero regrets. And I still get to hunt with my classics that I don't want to put a scope on. You will not regret it. You may take some shit from some folks, kind of like Beibs does about his Blaser's, but at the end of the day your still hunting with the guns you love.

That being said, I am going to give you a strong recommendation of the Leopold. When I made the switch, I looked through everything there was on the market, regardless of price. It is hands down the best one, in my opinion, for both the picture, features, and ease to zero. If zeroed properly, I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a bushbuck at 250yds.(lowest usable brightness setting), and feel very comfortable in the brightest of light for close and quick.

I have tried both the 7.5moa triangle and the 2.5moa dot. I much prefer the dot. It is plenty big enough for quick, and small enough for precise. If it matters, I own 4 of them. Thats how much I like them. I am NOT a representative of Leopold, nor can I profit if you decide to buy one.

Good luck with your search.

Posts: 288 | Location: AL | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Aaron Little
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Little:
I’m actually a huge fan of a compact red dot on a double rifle. For 90%+ of people target acquisition is faster with a red dot, and they are forgiving in the regards that your mount doesn’t have to be perfect every time, if the red dot is on target it’s hitting said spot. That’s not to say improper mounting is acceptable, but in the adrenaline of needing a fast shot...I find most who use a red dot shoot better groups as compared to irons as well.

Testing has shown them to be extremely durable. In the event of failure QR mount makes it easily removable. Batteries last a long time and are easily replaceable. Stick a spare battery in your hunting pack. If one was so inclined you could have the irons Co-witness through the optic in the event of failure. Might look funny...

The weight of a compact red dot also typically won’t effect regulation like a heavier scope can occasionally.

http://www.facebook.com/profil...p?id=100001646464847

A.M. Little Bespoke Gunmakers LLC
682-554-0044
Michael08TDK@yahoo.com

Posts: 1023 | Location: Mineola, TX | Registered: 15 October 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
I’m actually a huge fan of a compact red dot on a double rifle. For 90%+ of people target acquisition is faster with a red dot, and they are forgiving in the regards that your mount doesn’t have to be perfect every time, if the red dot is on target it’s hitting said spot. That’s not to say improper mounting is acceptable, but in the adrenaline of needing a fast shot...I find most who use a red dot shoot better groups as compared to irons as well.

Testing has shown them to be extremely durable. In the event of failure QR mount makes it easily removable. Batteries last a long time and are easily replaceable. Stick a spare battery in your hunting pack. If one was so inclined you could have the irons Co-witness through the optic in the event of failure. Might look funny...

The weight of a compact red dot also typically won’t effect regulation like a heavier scope can occasionally.

archer

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

All double rifle shooters/hunters should copy the above by Aaron Little and frame it and post it in your gun room!

………………………………………….. tu2 tu2 tu2 tu2 old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
JJ Perideaux mounted a Trijicon RM06 on my .500 NE for me. Even with progressive lens glasses...I struggled. When I gave in and installed the red-dot all was well again. Best move I have made in a while.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36846 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While it isn't pretty on a double, I put a Deltapoint on mine, and I have to say I definitely like using it. I played with peeps and as much as I used to like using them, the eyeballs are not what they once were, the dot sight or a scope is what I have to work with now. And the dot sight makes the gun far nicer to carry than it is with the scope. Just have to figure out what to do to keep it low as can be and make it into a QD base now, then it will be pretty much perfect.

Krieghoff Classic 30R Blaser
Stevens 044-1/2 218 Bee
Ruger #1A 7-08
Rem 700 7-08
Tikka t3x lite 6.5 creedmo
Tikka TAC A1 6.5 creedmo
Win 1885 300H&H. 223Rem
Merkel K1 7 Rem mag
CCFR

Posts: 284 | Location: southern AB | Registered: 17 May 2011Reply With Quote