THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Thoughts solicited on the .303 British in a double rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Thoughts solicited on the .303 British in a double rifle
 Login/Join

Picture of 450/400NE
posted
What weight bullet would you choose, 180 vs 215, to regulate a new double rifle built to hunt deer and pigs on up to elk-size game at ranges up to 150 yards? Which bullet brand would be your choice and why? Thanks!

450/400NE

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always advocated heavier for cal bullets, but I don't know the ballistic differences between the two, so I don't have much. However, 180 grained bullets have always been a good load for 30 cal rifles, and if you just plan on shooting elk, der, and hogs, I'm sure the 180 grained bullet will work. Howver, if you plan on shooting anything bigger or with thicker skin, I'd go with the heavier for cal bullets.

Also, if you're going to scope your double, make sure they regulate it with the scope you intend to use.

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
450/400NE,

Go with the 215gr bullets. Better sectional density and penetration. If you are having a new gun built have the maker use ammo loaded with woodleighs. If the gun is regulated for heavy bullets its pretty to get the lighter 180gr and 150gr bullets to regulate as you will have more velocity to play with.

Corbin

Posts: 244 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Easy - 215 grain Woodleighs. I wouldn't even consider 180s. The 215 grain bullet is what permitted the .303 Sporting to perform beyond it's paper ballistics on heavier game and it will do anything the 180s will on the lighter.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Did you get .308 or .311 bores?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost..

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
Picture of 450/400NE
posted Hide Post
I have requested .312 groove diameter to favor Woodleighs.
quote:
Originally posted by Idaho Sharpshooter:
Did you get .308 or .311 bores?

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost..

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
What a classy choice in a double. Edouard Foa would be proud.

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16532 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think a 303 double would be simply neat! The case design is just about perfect for double rifle to.

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1229 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
tomo577 showed up with a .303 DR at the DR shoot in brady last june.... sweet, light double and he shot it well... thumb

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what a grand choice. Makes for a really neat stalking rifle for anything up to about 600lbs or so.

Rich
DRSS
Knowledge not shared is knowledge lost...

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
Who makes new doubles in .303? I, too, find it an attractive proposition. (The .30-40-220 would be a fine choice as well.)

Posts: 978 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have a Westley Richards 303 droplock with all the bells & whistles Westley offered in 1908
whitworth steel barrels
ejectors
single selective trigger - we see where miller stole his idea from !
safe & bolted safety
droplock with jeweled locks and 2 gold animals inlaid
patent foresight protector
one standing and 3 folding leaves- platinum lines
long triggerguard
pistolgrip trap
real nice wood

refinished to new long before i got it 17 yrs ago. excellent shooter - probably the most accurate double rifle i have owned. it was built for Lord Selborne - the man who convinced parliament to combine the cape colony, transvall , the orange free state and natal into THE UNION OF SOUTH AFRICA by passing the Selborne amendment

it is listed on gunsinternational.com - search under my name tom ondrus
will offer to A R readers at $25,000 this is $5,000 below asking price.
ftondrus@hotmail.com tel 814 774 5739

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 333_OKH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

I think we rely on velocity too much today. The heavy for caliber bullets are still the way to go as they were over 100 years ago. I am re-reading Edouard Foa's After Big Game in Central Africa as we speak. Stay with tradition and hammer those animals with the penetration power of the 215s

Posts: 3284 | Location: Mountains of Northern California | Registered: 22 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tomo577- Why are you trying to rid your self of such a snazzy sxs shooter?

I dig the histoty behind it. Knowing the story of the rifle truly makes it classic. If only I hadn't just bought a house. killpc

"Sometimes nothing can be a pretty cool hand."

470 Heym; 9.3x74r Chapuis, Heym 450/400 on it's way

Posts: 653 | Location: austin, texas | Registered: 23 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have too many rifles and want to sell off some and get another holland royal, but in a bigger caliber.

the Westley is a super nice rifle, but since i got disabled and can't stalk anymore having a great stalking rifle isn't of much use to me.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 333_OKH:
quote:
Originally posted by Bill/Oregon:

I think we rely on velocity too much today. The heavy for caliber bullets are still the way to go as they were over 100 years ago.

Well said - and it applies to more than just the 303.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote