New
Find
Notify
Tools

JJ Perodeau
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Apparently JJ is moving the gun repair business to his home by the lake but will still be working in connection with George at Champlins handling his work as well. His phone number and address are:

JJ Perodeau GNMK, Inc.
711 S. 263rd West Ave
Suite A
Sand Springs, OK 74063

(580) 747-1805
E-mail: jj@jjperodeau.com
www.jjperodeau.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have moved MUCH further away from George Caswell.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
I would have moved MUCH further away from George Caswell.

Why???

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't understand your point, Biebs. George is a standup guy and I've had years of dealings and have always been satisfied with George and JJ's work.

Dutch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Would it be because he isn't a lover of all things Blaser! rotflmo

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have known, and done business with George Caswell for over 30 years.

He has been one of the most fair, and honest people I have ever known.

I can say the same for JJ Perodeau, as well.

I consider both of these Gentlemen as my friends.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
I'll throw in my two cents.
JJ is an artist in anything firearms. One of the best.
George has always treated me well and all that I know. He's one of the few good gun dealers.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
Gotta agree with Cal, Tony and Mike, I have bought and sold a number of rifles from and to George. I have always found him to be a man of his word.

Mike

Posts: 21719 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
Interesting.

I had an odd experience with Champlin Arms a few years ago.

First and foremost, I am a DR newbie that owns a Merkel .470

Anyway, with that disclosure out of the way…..

Called and spoke with George, (99% sure it was George) three or four years ago.

Had some questions about having JJ look over a couple of DR I was considering at the time.

He had rather unkind words for both the Searcys and Merkel I was considering, that JJ wouldn't work on them, and I should buy a Chapuis.

Not the conversation I expected based on what I had read here.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dutch44:
Apparently JJ is moving the gun repair business to his home by the lake but will still be working in connection with George at Champlins handling his work as well. His phone number and address are:

JJ Perodeau GNMK, Inc.
711 S. 263rd West Ave
Suite A
Sand Springs, OK 74063

(580) 747-1805
E-mail: jj@jjperodeau.com
www.jjperodeau.com

You say JJ is moving - is this current contact info or future contact info?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I wish JJ all the best. He's a great guy!

I like George. He has always stood behind his deals. I will never say that a buyer will get a "Great Deal" from George, but you will know the condition of the rifle and George stands by his sales!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers:
Both George and JJ told me that this was his new address but that he would be working on George's guns as well. Sometimes I mailed my doubles to JJ for work at their shop or, if I had one on consignment with George or was purchasing one from George then I would have JJ look it over and make sure it regulated with the ammunition that I had loaded.

Just a matter of convenience for JJ as I understood.

Dutch

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Duckear:
Interesting.

Had some questions about having JJ look over a couple of DR I was considering at the time.

He had rather unkind words for both the Searcys and Merkel I was considering, that JJ wouldn't work on them, and I should buy a Chapuis.

George, like anyone, has his opinions based on his experience. You heard his...

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
There are those who like like B.S. & M. D/Rs and
those who who do not. I have heard opinions for
and against a number of other double rifle makers
as well as those already mentioned.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PSmith
posted Hide Post
Well I suppose the business world is full of honest people. I do know three of them (all work in the gun trade) who I can send a $15,000 rifle to sell on consignment for me with only a verbal 'handshake': George Caswell, Ken Buch, and Mike Schwandt.

For that matter, everyone I have ever done business with on AR was as honest as the day is long.

There's something philosophical there, I imagine, about honesty and firearms.

Paul Smith
SCI Life Member
NRA Life Member
DSC Member
Life Member of the "I Can't Wait to Get Back to Africa" Club
DRSS
I had the privilege to fire E. Hemingway's WR .577NE, E. Keith's WR .470NE, & F. Jamieson's WJJ .500 Jeffery
I strongly recommend avoidance of "The Zambezi Safari & Travel Co., Ltd." and "Pisces Sportfishing-Cabo San Lucas"

"A failed policy of national defense is its own punishment" Otto von Bismarck

Posts: 2545 | Location: The 'Ham | Registered: 25 May 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hmmm, you obviously haven't heard about our Danish friend!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by N E 450 No2:
I have known, and done business with George Caswell for over 30 years.

He has been one of the most fair, and honest people I have ever known.

I can say the same for JJ Perodeau, as well.

I consider both of these Gentlemen as my friends.

Point on!.

No reason to create enmity that isn´t there.

I have stated before Champlin might be a little slow in answering email...but they do deliver and they deliver Good!.

DRSS: HQ Scandinavia. Chapters in Sweden & Norway

Posts: 2805 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I'll throw in my two cents.
JJ is an artist in anything firearms. One of the best.
George has always treated me well and all that I know. He's one of the few good gun dealers.
Cal

I've had the same experience.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Interesting.

..........Well I guess I need to find another gun smith if that is the case! I have a Merkel 140-1, 9.3X74R that I need quick detach scope rings and bases installed to mount my Trijicon scope, and have the right trigger lightened a little.

I'm sure as hell not buying a Chapuis just to get JJ to work on it!
................................................................ thumbdown

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have also purchased several rifles, bolt and doubles from George Caswell over the years, and found him to be totally upstanding and easy to deal with, He also sold a valuable double for me. JJ did some regulation on a double and did a fine job. I would trust them both implicitly. George was one I could completely trust especially when dealing with expensive doubles.

Posts: 159 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah | Registered: 15 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a huge surprise. The last time I made it to Enid, JJ's shop was kind of separate from George's operation. They are both fine gentlemen with whom you can have complete trust.

JJ has an affinity to French rifles, though, nothing bad there, I like them too. He's the best double rifle smith around, french made or otherwise.

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I believe JJ's affinity lies with highest grade Belgian rifles! Recall he was an apprentice to Marcel Thys.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Duckear
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Interesting.

..........Well I guess I need to find another gun smith if that is the case! I have a Merkel 140-1, 9.3X74R that I need quick detach scope rings and bases installed to mount my Trijicon scope, and have the right trigger lightened a little.

Your experience and others like it are what surprised me about our conversation.

Hunting: Exercising dominion over creation at 2800 fps.

Posts: 3108 | Location: Southern US | Registered: 21 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Interesting.

Mark Peterson at NECG

Posts: 1626 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
JJ worked on my first double, a Merkel in 470. He put a new shallow V on the rear, an ivory bead on the front and smoothed things up for me. Awesome gentleman and flat knows his stuff.

Gary

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GarBy:
JJ worked on my first double, a Merkel in 470. He put a new shallow V on the rear, an ivory bead on the front and smoothed things up for me. Awesome gentleman and flat knows his stuff.

Gary

GarBy, that is good to hear! I have always thought of JJ as top drawer where double rifles are concerned. It was sad news when A post above stated George told the poster that JJ wouldn't work on Merkel double rifles.

I was just about to drive up to Enid.OK with a Merkel double rifle to have him install Quick detach scope mounts, and check out the right trigger. The double is a 140E-1, 9.3X74R that I have owned for some 11 or 12 years, with absolutely no problem. I also have a Merkel 140-2 Safari 470NE double that I have owned for about 9 years, and the pervious owner had it for about three years, and it has never given him or me a problem either! I was simply perplexed at the statement that JJ wouldn't work on them.

Thank for your post here, I'll give JJ a call, and get the word from his own mouth!

....................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gary

He did the same on my 500 Merkel and added a recoil reducer and leather covered recoil pad. It was excellent work at a fair price.

"Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." Terry Pratchett.

Posts: 3517 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: 25 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Gary

GarBy, that is good to hear! I have always thought of JJ as top drawer where double rifles are concerned. It was sad news when A post above stated George told the poster that JJ wouldn't work on Merkel double rifles.

I was just about to drive up to Enid.OK with a Merkel double rifle to have him install Quick detach scope mounts, and check out the right trigger. The double is a 140E-1, 9.3X74R that I have owned for some 11 or 12 years, with absolutely no problem. I also have a Merkel 140-2 Safari 470NE double that I have owned for about 9 years, and the pervious owner had it for about three years, and it has never given him or me a problem either! I was simply perplexed at the statement that JJ wouldn't work on them.

Thank for your post here, I'll give JJ a call, and get the word from his own mouth!

....................................................................... old

Wondering if we have an update.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote