Find
Notify
Tools

Remington/Spartan/Baikal
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted
Well, it's here. I have to give credit to FedEx. The seller gave it to them Monday afternoon around 2-ish and it was delivered to our shop Wednesday morning around 10. Not shabby!

I know there are those who scoff at the Baikal but, then, they can afford "the good stuff". I can't. There are more of us who can't than those who can and the Baikal has filled a gigantic void. It might be considered the "Model A" of the DR world, bringing two-barreled fun to "the masses". Your Cord or Deusenberg will get you there with A LOT more style but my Model A will still get me there!

Made two discoveries right off the bat. #1. You guys weren't lying when you called the triggers horrible. You were being nice! The piece is going to our gunsmith for a trigger job before I even try to fire it. #2. Contrary to what I've read, when mine cocks, it doesn't re-close half way. It stays nice and open with easy access to the shells. (On the other hand, I have to cock it over my knee, it is so stiff.)

The sights are abysmal. Functionally, they are probably fine. Aesthetically, they do nothing for the lines of the rifle. But most noticeable to me is that both front and rear sights are a ripped-open hand just waiting to happen. A slip when on uneven terrain and you got a painful gusher. No thanks! My first thought is to replace the front sight with a (real) ivory bead from Brownells and the rear sight with any of a large number of fixed dovetail sights from Track of the Wolf or the Log Cabin Shop. They've even got a two leaf express-style sight for German jaeger rifles. Been thinking about converting one of those.

Now a question: Has anyone had any luck removing those cheesy painted logos and "lawyer speak" pressure warnings from their Baikal without damaging the blue job?

This is going to be an ongoing project, so get used to having to put up with my drivel. I guess to put things in perspective, you need to know that I am a glutton for punishment. My main motorcycle is a Ural sidecar rig built in Irbit, Siberia!

Thanks,
Tom "Sarge" Brown

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

Posts: 93 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sgt Brown

Before you do anything to it,I recommend the following...

Clean the barrels real good...

Put some good gun grease on the hingepin, extractor cam surfaces etc...

Shoot a box or two of factory ammo through it.

And report back to us how it shoots of course.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sarge-

You ride a Ural?
Good God help you.

A friend form this area has a lot of time on his Ural hack rig. He typically keeps a couple of spare heads (no kidding) in the hack for use as emergency spares.
He's done head swaps on the road numerous times.

450#2 just gave you some good advice.
Run that thing and let us know how it goes.
Also, before your smith goes into it, do a search here for the previous conversation threads on action-jobs and trigger-jobs specific to this model.
There's good information with photos if I recall...

Cheers
Tinker

Posts: 802 | Location: Palomino Valley, NV | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a.tinkerer:
Also, before your smith goes into it, do a search here for the previous conversation threads on action-jobs and trigger-jobs specific to this model.
There's good information with photos if I recall...
Cheers
Tinker

I must be missing something. I searched every word combination I could think of and did not find any info on trigger jobs. That's why I'm asking here. Can anyone direct me to an existing thread?

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life

"Learn to ride hard, shoot straight, dance well and so live that you can - if necessary - look any man in the eye and tell him to go to hell!" US Cavalry Manual 1923

One of Us
Picture of Sgt Brown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Brown - DRSS:
I must be missing something. I searched every word combination I could think of and did not find any info on trigger jobs. That's why I'm asking here. Can anyone direct me to an existing thread?
Tom

I guess it is time for the doctor to increase my meds. Tried another search and the trigger job thread came right up! Don't know what the heck I was doing wrong before.

Tom

DRSS
NRA Life