New
Find
Notify
Tools

Used Merkel 140 .470 NE..
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am being offered such a rifle....light use, mostly shot with reduced loads and lead bullets...upgraded stock and engraved with a lion on the right panel and a rhino on the left..regulated for Federal 500gr. trohpy bonded

Offered price is ca. $7.500,- a good buy..?

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pondoro:
I am being offered such a rifle....light use, mostly shot with reduced loads and lead bullets...upgraded stock and engraved with a lion on the right panel and a rhino on the left..regulated for Federal 500gr. trohpy bonded

Offered price is ca. $7.500,- a good buy..?

Yes, this is a good buy if it's in good condition.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Absolutely! tu2 I have one and it is a fine piece of working iron! They are not Westley Richards, but they will not let you down when the buffalo gets in close!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
If in good condition, I'd say jump on it.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rifle have ejectors or extractors? Ejector rifle good price, non-ejector rifle not so good.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:
Rifle have ejectors or extractors? Ejector rifle good price, non-ejector rifle not so good.

That is a 140-2.1, and it is a good price even with extractors!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Agree with Mac. That's a good price with extractors. Excellent price with ejectors. A couple of years ago, this rifle, with the full coverage engraving, was selling at Cabelas for between $11,999 with extractors and $13,999 with ejectors. This is the model I just traded.

The model with limited scroll engraving was selling for $10,999 IIRC.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
They are solid, accurate DRs. Good price as well.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the advice folks.. Smiler

Posts: 3974 | Location: Vell, I yust dont know.. | Registered: 27 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JCS271
posted Hide Post
So did you buy it?

"The difference between adventure and disaster is preparation."
"The problem with quoting info from the internet is that you can never be sure it is accurate" Abraham Lincoln

Posts: 1626 | Location: Montana Territory | Registered: 27 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not yet, I am presently offshore on an oil rig in the North Sea....we´ll see in 2 weeks time..I have to examine and testfire it.. Cool

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very solid guns. @ $7500 you I don't think you can go wrong.

This will be a rifle that ;you can hunt with. If you put a scratch on it, its not a tragedy. It will not cost you a fortune to insure and if some goon steals it it isn't like you have lost a one of a kind H&H that can't be replaced.
my 2 cents worth

If you own a gun and you are not a member of the NRA and other pro 2nd amendment organizations then YOU are part of the problem.

Posts: 1231 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 12 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
quote:
Originally posted by dirklawyer:

That is a 140-2.1, and it is a good price even with extractors!

Thanks Mac, somehow missed the 2.1 part of the model number, as you said and I agree, it is a good price even if it is an extractor rifle.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote