THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Why all the Chapuis for sale?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why all the Chapuis for sale?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Have you guys noticed that there are a very high number of Chapuis 9.3x74R's for sale on this sight. Seems like about one per week.

I've heard that they have a very poor stock design which causes unnecessary cheek thump. That they have heavy triggers from the factory. Is there anything else that makes these guns seem to flow so freely on the used rifle market.

The reason I ask is that I am very interested in buying one but I'm starting to have second thoughts.

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Surestrike:

I guess everyone is different. I think the stock design is fine and have never noticed what the others are talking about. Perhaps the problem is that people put scopes on these guns and maybe they are lifting their heads to peer through the scope. When I put my non-scoped gun up, it comes up perfectly. The factory triggers are indeed a bit on the heavy side but mine shoots great and JJ can do a trigger job for you in no time. I think the reason you see them for sale is that they are in the right price range. That's all. I think they are a quality gun but throw one up and see how it fits you.

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I think the reason you see them is that they are very popular right now. I have one and think it's great. Yes, the comb is too high but mine is scoped so no issue. Yes the triggers are stiff but not really an issue. Could have them worked on if I wanted.

Really, it's just a fine little double rifle and I have absolutely no complaints about mine.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Mine is the most naturally pointing and handling rifle I have ever owned, and that numbers in the hundreds, including many custom made ones. It does smack my cheek bone rather severely, however, and I am selling plasma to get money for a scope mount for it. Hard opening, but that is what you get with ejector guns.

Posts: 17286 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Chapuis UGEX rifles are like a stepping stone to some of the members here. They make a great first double as they are well regulated, accurate, and easy to load for. Yes, the comb is to high for most of us. Triggers can be easily fixed for about $100.
Unfortunately some people think they outgrow the smaller calibers and sell them to get into bigger bore rifles, which is a mistake in my opinion as they are a great rifle to keep. If nothing else, they are inexpensive to practice with.
People are not just selling off the UGEX's. Economy is still in the dumpers and many are trying to sell the big boys as well.
It is a great time to buy a used well kept double rifle of any brand as the prices have seemed to be sliding recently. If you can find a nice rifle that fits you well at a great price, buy it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think Wolfy nailed it. For many, a 9.3x74R DR is a "transition gun", their first DR after years of bolt action experience. When they get a taste of the Kool-Aid, it's a short step up to the 450-470-500 NE doubles, and the 9.3s are sacrificed to get there. There is certainly nothing wrong with a 9.3x74R for hunting...it has more uses than the big calibers.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

There is certainly nothing wrong with a 9.3x74R for hunting...it has more uses than the big calibers.

Biebs:

Agreed, especially with the bullets with have today like the North Fork Cup Point Solids!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They aren't perfect, but JJ will tell you that a Chapuis is the best bargain in the double rifle market. I defer to his expertise.

Mine has had a trigger job. It's still less than perfect, but it shoots reasonably well.

To me, the problem is an awkward calibre. Betwixt and between. Too small to be legal for dangerous game most places and on that edge. It will clearly handle dangerous game, it's just illegal in most countries. Would definitly be a great cat gun.

Most people don't want to shoot something "that big" for other plains game. Believe it or not, the fellow I purchased my 9.3X74 from thought it kicked.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's interesting that the 9.3x74R has become the standard US metric double rifle cartridge in Chapuis and other makes, even for medium to large nondangerous game like deer and elk. Based on ammuntion availability, it is my choice as well.

In France, however, things appear somewhat different in selecting a Chapuis or other double rifle cartridge for shooting driven wild boar. Check out the web site for James in Autun, http://www.james-autun.com/ ,one of the leading sellers of double rifles in France. Rifles chambered for the 8x57JRS greatly outnumber those chambered for the 9.3x74R. Very limited factory ammuntion in that caliber in the US it much less attractive here.

One of the reasons for the popularity in France of the 8x57JRS in Chapuis and other light double rifles is its lighter recoil compared to the 9.3x74R. To paraphrase a standard French book on hunting arms, L'Arme de Chasse Aujourd'Hui by Dominique Venner, "Less Brutual for the gun, less brutual for the shooter".

Posts: 84 | Location: Eastern USA | Registered: 08 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Still hanging on to mine!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vangulik:
It's interesting that the 9.3x74R has become the standard US metric double rifle cartridge in Chapuis and other makes, even for medium to large nondangerous game like deer and elk. Based on ammuntion availability, it is my choice as well.

I have struck out the metric as wouldn't it be THE calibre ?

Also, this would be in the last ? 20 or 30 ? years ?

Metric was never popular in the US sso it's interesting that this is so. Lack of a suitable competitor ?

We need a really good, low recoiling 30 cal Flanged Double cartridge.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
We need a really good, low recoiling 30 cal Flanged Double cartridge.

Chapuis UGEX in 30R BlaserSmiler. Bought one earlier this year and still working on it.
Bet Chapuis would chamber one in 30-30 for you if you asked.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am a long time .470 shooter and I love doubles. I am just looking for a general purpose hog, deer, elk, coyote, rock, water jug swatter to play with.

That little Chapuis seems just the ticket at a reasonable price. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Shot a meat hog with the Chapuis this past weekend. Worked like a charm, but a head shot would have worked fine with a .223. I 9.3x74 has little recoil, so I don't understand wanting an 8mm instead.

As far as a .30 calibre -- I think Chapuis makes one in a .30-30. A .303 British always intrigued me, and would be more useful.

Posts: 10371 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I am a long time .470 shooter and I love doubles. I just looking for a general purpose hog, deer, elk, coyote, rock, water jug swatter to play with.

That little Chapuis seems just the ticket at a reasonable price. Thanks for the input gentlemen.

If you go with one of the little 9.3 Chapuis, I think you'll be extremely happy. The UGEX with wood upgrade has to be one of the best DR values out there today. I use it for hogs, White Tail Deer, and will be taking it this October to Zim as my light rifle to back up the 577NE on Elephant and Buffalo. As mentioned, it is scoped, so in the event we see the buff of a life time and can't get close enough, I'll use it in the same manner as I've done with a 375H&H in the past. It's a great all round rifle and you'll find yourself reaching for it more and more when heading to the field.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you use a large caliber DR that weighs 13+ lbs, the 9.3x74R DR makes a nice carry rifle while your tracker totes the big gun.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just curious? What is a GOOD price right now for one of these puppies?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Larry Sellers:
Just curious? What is a GOOD price right now for one of these puppies?

Larry Sellers
SCI Life Member

Basic UGEX in excellent condition. A great price would be $4K. They hold their value really well seeing you can order a new one for mid to upper $4's from Dale Nygaard.

one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
The 9.3X74R chambered double rifle of about any make is a fine first double rifle because it is cheap to shoot so the new owner will get a lot of learning practice for a very low price over all. I find that guys who buy a very large bore double as their first double is most times a mistake. Many of the guys who buy big bore doubles to start off with have a large drop out rate and most never goes back to doubles.

The small chambered double (especially the 9.3X74R) is not only cheap to buy compared to the larger doubles and one chambered for 9.3X74R will handle anything North America has to offer, including the Brown bears of Alaska. The sale of that small rifle will make the big bore bought later a lot easier to afford, or kept will make a fine light rifle to back up the big bore in Africa.

The Chapuis doubles are most times very accurate, and with a little modification of the stock, and forearm, and a trigger job make a very good double that will outlast you and your kids, and grand kids. With a quick detach scope mounted it becomes a very all around hunting rifle.

I believe they are a great value for money spent even with the little customizing cost added on to the price! I have a 9.3X74R Merkel 140E that is going nowhere but with me into the field, and is one of my all time favorite double rifles.

I think if you have a double rifle collection and there is no 9.3X74R in the mix, your collection is not complete!

..................................................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mac,

You bring up a good very good point here. I've got two daughters 13 & 16. The other day I heard my 16 year old tell the 13 year old that she'd like to shoot dad's double rifle but it's too heavy and she's afraid of the kick. But she thinks it's "cool".

The 9.3 would be a great way to get these girls shooting a double. I'd have to have the stock shorter for them and then could add a spacer for myself.. Hmmm rationalization and justification begin to take over here. Wink

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by surestrike:
I am a long time .470 shooter and I love doubles. I am just looking for a general purpose hog, deer, elk, coyote, rock, water jug swatter to play with.

That is exactly why i bought my Chapuis in 9,3x74R.
Research my previous posts, I have taken a lot of game with my 9,3x74R. I havge taken it on all 3 of my Safaris as my plains game rifle.
I have shot giraffe, cape buff and elephant with it too...

I have also shot several deer, pigs, coyotes turkeys, and a couple of black bear with it as well.

The 9,3x74R makes a perfect companion gun to a bigger bore double on Safari, and it is an excellent North American hunting double.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will sell my new Chapuis 9.3 that I got in April, for $4650; exactly what they cost and you don't have to wait the 4-6 months. Test fired 4 shots. Has the elk and pig engraving and very nice wood. Another project came along. PM me if you want pics. Shipped free in CONUS.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can only speak for one that was recently sold, my own. I really loved that gun, but a few years back, I nearly lost my right hand in an accident. At one point they drew lines on my hand and arm and were discussing where to cut the mess off. Eventually, my hand was rebuilt and it works pretty much. Part of the residual of all that and a life of taking chances has been the development of arthritis in that hand and my shoulders. I had pretty serious pain for several days each time I shot the gun. I hated to sell it, but the time had come. If I ever get Uncle Arthur to move out, I'll get another. Until then, it's soft pads and lower recoil. I couldn't bring myself to take a chop saw to it and put a big squishy pad on it.
If you're thinking about one, get it and enjoy it. They are just wonderful little guns.
Bfly
If you want one, buy it.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
dpcd,

I am several months from being able to buy one. when I get the mula piled high enough I'll start actively looking.

Thanks for the offer.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I need to buy parts so I can restore my Barracuda, and I have other DRs but only one 'Cuda.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The real reason is Biebs is the owner and he is selling them faster than the ink can dry on the check he bought it with.
Larry

Posts: 1571 | Location: New Mexico Texas Border | Registered: 29 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wink

I have to chuckle ... the AAR Cuda has already been given to one son.

The 9,3x74R Chapuis with its scope and 20 gauge barrels will go to another ... when I can't use it any more!

Great little rifle! Useful in more places than the .470 NE that I also love.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The son who got the Cuda definitely got the better deal. You will have to send the other one to Africa a few times to equal the value of an AAR Cuda!