THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    1950s British Double rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1950s British Double rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have read that some of the British doubles from the 50s and 60s were less then up to par in terms of buld quality.

I saw this Westley Richards listed on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79556353

Would this be considered one of these sub standard doubles? Were the problems just cosmetic?

Is there a rule of thumb as to how much less they are worth then say pre WWII or WWI doubles?

Thanks

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
George Caswell of Champlin told me a few years ago to avoid the White Hunter model. He felt its locking system was inadequate and they would usually shoot off the face quickly

Posts: 3073 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: 11 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
why not contact westley in england or their agent in montanna.

www.westleyrichards.com

would be interesting to hear their reply.

pls let us know what they say vs what geo.caswell says.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GeoffM24:
I have read that some of the British doubles from the 50s and 60s were less then up to par in terms of buld quality.

I saw this Westley Richards listed on GB

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=79556353

Would this be considered one of these sub standard doubles? Were the problems just cosmetic?

Shortages of materials, skilled labor, etc. lasted long after the war in the UK. Also, the loss of empire during the post war years, especially India, meant that post war demand was a tiny fraction compared to pre-war. It was a very difficult time in the British trade.

British doubles from this period aren't automatically bad. Some were OK, but virtually all of the British makers built doubles in this period that they're still trying to live down. Sometimes the problems are just cosmetic, but sometimes not. Each gun has to be evaluated on it's own.

quote:
Is there a rule of thumb as to how much less they are worth then say pre WWII or WWI doubles?

They're not necessarily cheaper. You just don't want 'em if they're not up to par.

Same with this gun. Personally, I've never handled a "White Hunter" model that I would have wanted, but I suppose this one might be OK. You can't tell from photos.

I doubt a call to Westley would yield any useful information. They'll tell you what they want you to hear.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Good info here. I would have thought hat if it said Westley Richards on the side that it would have been top notch! Eeker

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think its way to high in price...BTW the front sight has been modified...For $21,000 you can buy a really nice double rifle..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
Doubles must really be going up Eeker.

George sold this gun for $16,900 a few months back. I've handled a couple of these 1950s post war Westleys and haven't been impressed with them.

Have to agree with Ray, there are nicer ones out there... trouble is finding one.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
470 Evans,
Your right, there are a ton of English doubles out there, and my guess is that 90% of them are junk...and the good ones cost like hell.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41976 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote