New
Find
Notify
Tools

MERKEL DOUBLE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
At present im in europe on hoildays and have had a feel of a Merkel double in 8x57.....it is one of the sweetest rifles i have ever held , its balance is unreal, it just points on its own...as i dont know a thing about doubles what is the quality of the merkel in the world of doubles in comparison to the Krieghoff ,Heym,etc
also i noticed that one can have the double chambered in 308 or 06, is this possible or am i just misreading the frankonia catalouge
regards Daniel

Posts: 1488 | Location: AUSTRALIA | Registered: 07 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
M98, you can have a double rifle made by someone chambered for any cartridge you choose.With the Merkel:

http://www.granitearms.com/library/Merkel-141-Open-Lge.jpg
The above are the only chamberings available in the smaller calibers. IMO, the best are the rimmed chamberings in that selection.

The rimless cartridges are available, and in those chamberings below the 9.3X74R, which are meant for hunting things like deer,Elk, and moose, they are a fine choice. If the rifle is to be used for dangerous game then I have a personal bias against rimless cartridges in double rifles.

The Merkel can be had, in the Safari models, chambered for the belted rimless 375 H&H, and the 416 Rigby, but they don't sell well because most serious big game hunters want chamberings with rimmed cartridges, and don't buy them.

There are those who use the rimless, and belted rimless cartridges in their double rifle without a problem. One poster here has Tys 458 Win Mag double rifle, that he has take several elephant, and Buffalo with, and never a hitch. Still, in my opinion, it is simply a matter of time.

In the case of hunting deer, a mal function, cost nothing more than a missed chance at a trophy. That same mal function with a Buffalo, or elephant closeing on you fast, is considerably more costly.

As far as quality, the Merkel is an off the shelf double rifle, and are well made, and strong, but are not in the same class as double rifles made to fit the owner, by makers like Westley Richards, Marcell Tys and H&H.

They can be had made to order, but at quite a bit more cost. The same goes for the Heym,Chapuis, and Krieghoff,but for the most part these are off the shelf as well. All are well made, and if they fit you, are worth their asking price, IMO! Hope any of this helps you.

There is no other rifle, other than a double rifle, that was never a weapon of war first, and was designed, from the start, for hunting, and is great at that presuit! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
WHY NOT VISIT THE MERKEL FACTORY IN SUHL ? YOU CAN LOOK AT ALL THE CALIBERS AND MODELS.

WHAT A GREAT SOUVENIR OF YOUR TRIP TO GERMANY !! A NEW DOUBLE RIFLE.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote