THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    30R Doubles - Anyone have one?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30R Doubles - Anyone have one?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Was wondering if anyone here actually owns one or knows of anyone that does? If so, feedback would be appreciated.

Chapuis has an upcharge of about $350 to order one. Why is this? Do they have to build the rifle differently due to the higher pressures of the 30R? How fast would a 30R spit out 180 grain bullets?

Kebco states brass is easy to come by but dies are a special order item.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowwolfe
I do not have a double in 30R, but have used a oouple of Blasers -an BBF-95 and a K-95-in that calibre ,is a little under the 300Win Mag in power .I get 2850 fps with 180 grainers and 2900 fps with 168 grainers, using very old IMR-4350 powder.I wonder what velo. i will get if I ever can get hold of a can of H or IMR 4831. Reloading is unforgiving and accepts many kind of powders giving good speeds with no press signs. RWS brass lasts forever.
It is said that Blaser and RWS ammo is hotter.
Mistakingly many compare the power of this calibre with the 300H&H rimless instead of comparing it with the 300H&H Rimmed.
Now I am testing some CT Ballistic Silvertips in 168 grs to be used on the K95 on a tahr and chamois hunt in NZ next year.
Pulki.

Posts: 93 | Location: Santiago, Chile. | Registered: 13 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello, Snowolfe:
I had a pretty sideplated Chapuis double in 30R Blaser. The rifle was very light, around 6,5 pounds without scope, and was quite accurate with commercial ammunition. The caliber is not infrequent here, and you can consider it half way between 30.06 and a 300 Winchester Magnum. I used it in our driven hunts and was and had to decidehappy with it... until a 375 double crossed my way. I sold it to a friend, with options to buy it again if he sold it (he hasn´t...).
In Spain you had no special price for the 30R. My reloading dies were RCBS.

one of us
Picture of Lorenzo
posted Hide Post
I dream with a DR in this caliber, what gauge will accept if one want a pair of barrels for a shotgun / rifle combo ?

Thanks
L

Posts: 3085 | Location: Uruguay - South America | Registered: 10 December 2001Reply With Quote