Locks?
Ejectors?
Hinge pins?
..."?

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
Hinge pin, sears, recoil pad, checkering, ejectors out of time, top lever off center.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Modern sport hunters will never use a modern built rifle enough for anything to wear out. It will take generations of hard field use with no maintenance to show the kind of wear we see on old rifles. Modern steels are much better than the old ones and we do not subject our rifles to the abuse that the old, perhaps pros, did. If you see a worn out rifle, it has either been used by a PH, or is old and was used when a proper gentleman could take a 30 day minimum safari and use the hell out of his equipment.

Posts: 17178 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Hinge pin, sears, recoil pad, checkering, ejectors out of time, top lever off center.
Cal

This is correct. I have customers that think nothing of shooting 150 plus rounds a day of full house loads. I have one that had over 6000 rounds through his .470NE last time we spoke a few years ago. With this volume of shooting you do wear out parts. The hinge pin/locking block are usually the first to go. As these parts wear the top lever will move from the right side of the tang to the center or even the left side of the top tang. Sears and ejectors will wear as well but normally they do not need any major work. Refresh the sear angles and retiming of the ejectors.

Cal,
The recoil pad normally only wears out for you Alaska guys... This is because your rifles spend more time in the rack than being fired!
fishing

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Double rifles make Africa safe enough for bolt guns!

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by h2oboy:
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
Cal

This is correct. I have customers that think nothing of shooting 150 plus rounds a day of full house loads. I have one that had over 6000 rounds through his .470NE last time we spoke a few years ago. With this volume of shooting you do wear out parts. The hinge pin/locking block are usually the first to go. As these parts wear the top lever will move from the right side of the tang to the center or even the left side of the top tang. Sears and ejectors will wear as well but normally they do not need any major work. Refresh the sear angles and retiming of the ejectors.

Cal,
The recoil pad normally only wears out for you Alaska guys... This is because your rifles spend more time in the rack than being fired!
fishing

I would think you would need to start looking at rifling wear after 6K rounds.

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1327 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For most English guns, the owner wears out sooner than the rifle.

465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
Ken,
Last time I saw it, the rifling was fine. However there was a lot of throat erosion. It was not affecting accuracy just causing some cleaning issues.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

Posts: 495 | Location: Gillette,Wyoming | Registered: 16 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, that is a sample of one out of a population of, well, who knows?
There can't be many double rifle owners out there who shoot 150 rounds a day and I submit that 90 percent won't shoot 150 rounds, ever. I see a few double rifles come through the Rock Island Auction here and all the ones made after WW2, and all the English ones, are still in at least excellent condition. It's not like trap shooting with your Krieghoff where you shoot thousands of rounds a year and your gun needs re-built.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

You are only looking at it from a US perspective,
you need to take a global perspective.

Europe - Driven game, driven boar.

Australia - lots of DR competition and
quite a lot of shooting with DR's.

I agree 150 is a lot in one day and can't think
of anyone here in Aus who would do that many in a day.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
True; I was thinking about big calibered DG doubles; which are the predominant US rifles. I forgot about those in Europe that use them for hunting all the time. And I know you guys in AUS use them a lot too. Still, a good double should last a very long time between rebuilds.

One of Us
Picture of h2oboy
posted Hide Post
dpcd,
I am in agreement with you. Any quality built gun that is properly maintained will last a very long time. A little preventative maintenance yearly can double the time in between major repairs. Little things like keeping the hinge pin greased, ejectors lubed, and proper cleaning help a lot.
I realize that not everyone shoots a large caliber double a lot. But you may be surprised at how many actually do. I have more than a few customers that do. Another place a gun can see a lot of use is at a double rifle shoot. Not only by the owner but by other people shooting it as well.
It would be very interesting to conduct a poll of AR members and see just how much they shoot.

Dirk Schimmel
D Schimmel LLC
Dirk@DoubleRifles.Us
1-307-257-9447

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

Agree.

I still think you under estimate the amount a gun is shot by some.

I do agree that some big bore DR's wouldn't see the light of day between Africa trips.

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Any part in any rifle that rubs against another part, will wear. Any steel that is stressed by pressure or friction will be effected over time. The amount of damage that results from this will depend on how the total mechanism is cared for over that same time.

That being said, as someone above stated, cared for properly a modern made double rifle will out live it’s owner! Care for your double properly, you will have no worries!

……………………………………………………………………………………….......................................... old

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote