New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smaller doubles
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Having followed the various posts for a while now and would assume there is little interest in doubles smaller than the 9.3 x 74. I have always liked doubles in the 7 and 8mm range. It would appear that doubles are thought of only as big bore guns. Is there a reason for that?

Just wondering...

Posts: 1319 | Location: MN and ND | Registered: 11 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fallow Buck
posted Hide Post
Jon,

Is funny you should bring this up as I have recently been looking at some of the smaller bore doubles around. There is an nice European 8x57 at one of the auctions coming up that would make a great plains game gun and driven boar too boot!!

Rgds,
FB

Posts: 4096 | Location: London | Registered: 03 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The big bores get all the glory, but the small bore doubles are great hunting guns.

I have a couple of small bore doubles. One is a Blaser D 99 Duo in 308x308x20ga.

On my lease many times there is furred and feathered game in season at the same time.

I also have a Heym 26B O/U in 30-30. This is going to be my new Pig gun. I really like it.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Akshooter
posted Hide Post
I have a couple. I've hunted a couple differant continants with my 8x57 Merkel. Smaller doubles are well recived in Europe where they get a lot of use on driven boar. I hunted a drive for boar in Normandy a few years ago. Of the 17 hunters on the drive only one had a bolt gun.

DRSS
NRA life
AK Master Guide 124

Posts: 1562 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 05 February 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of Phil T
posted Hide Post
I love doubles and picked up a Merkel 141 in 8x57IRS. Took a whittail buck last fall. Gun worked great. Just came back from a bear hunt without a bear but the little rifle was a joy in a tight cramped tree stand. Very comforting to have a fast second shot. Intend to try a moose hunt yet and will take it again for black bear soon I hope.

Posts: 10 | Location: Nova Scotia | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote