Find
Notify
Tools

Placement of makers name
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I just saw a double with the makers name and address on the top filler rib.

Isn't that normally engraved on the barrel or 1/4 rib?

I'm just asking.

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
makers name can be anywhere. on the rib seems to be the classic location. i can't remember any on the quarter rib, but it doesn't matter

Posts: 174 | Registered: 12 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
Maybe I haven't been paying attention, but I just saw a double with the makers name and address on the top filler rib.

Isn't that normally engraved on the barrel or 1/4 rib?

I'm just asking.

I suppose it could be anyplace, but in my experience it is usually on several places on the rifle, but rarely on the barrel! The new doubles like Merkel do have the make on the side of the barrel. However, most vintage doubles do not have the name on the barrel, if memory serves. Confused

Most like Holland & Holland are on both sides of the bar, or side plates of a side-lock and on the belly of the action. The name is often on the filler rib between the barrels as well. What I find on top of the quarter rib, behind the standing rear sight, and just ahead of the breech, is usually the chambering!

..................... bewildered

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Kyler Hamann
posted Hide Post
You guys are right. It just seemed like it looked odd on the filler rib. That seems like a pretty fragile piece to engrave.

Thanks,
Kyler

I'm so old that I still have some skills even without an internet connection or electricity.

Posts: 2508 | Location: Central Coast of CA | Registered: 10 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kyler Hamann:
You guys are right. It just seemed like it looked odd on the filler rib. That seems like a pretty fragile piece to engrave.

Thanks,
Kyler

Hyler, the filler rib is usually engraved before installing, but after the fitting.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote