Find
Notify
Tools

Newby questions
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RAC
posted
I finally broke down and bought my first double. A Chapuis 9.3 x 74R. If all goes well I might take it to Zim this September. http://forums.accuratereloadin...2711043&m=3641055901 I hope to get it before Friday.

I need to buy brass. Graff's has Norma. I see that Rusty thinks Norma is too soft. Any preferences for other types of brass? Where can I find it? I see that Hornady is out of stock just about everywhere I look. What about reloading dies? Is neck sizing the way to go with this cartridge? Do sure 'nuff hunting loads need to be full length sized? Any other advice will be appreciated. Thank you.

Roger

I hunt, not to kill, but in order not to have played golf....

DRSS

Posts: 839 | Location: LA | Registered: 28 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
RAC, I'd buy a couple of boxes of RWS or Hornady ammo, and see how it shoots in your rifle, then reload the brass. RWS brass is very good brass too. Maybe Hornady will come accross with another run of 9.3X74R brass shortly

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
congrats on your purchase... ive been shooting s&b 286gr sp's... factory stuff i picked up at cabela's for $33/box.... a couple yrs before i got my chaupuis......i picked up a set of rcbs dies here on AR for $40/shipped.... and i havent loaded for it yet...

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norma brass will usually seperate on the third firing in my Chapuis.

Next time I reload I will try some Hornady and some RWS.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote