THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Stocks used with scope vs iron sites
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Stocks used with scope vs iron sites
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I like to ask a question here on double forum,

I think shooting a double should be very quick and instinctive like a shotgun (not having a double rifle yet but using a shotgun)

When you snap a gun in place and fire all in a split second the cheek/stock/eye/sights all have to line up. No extra 1/2 second making a head adjustment based on the use of scope or iron site.

If you order a custom built double, do you have the stock setup based on your primary choice of sites? If not, why not? I see a lot of photos of doubles with QR scopes and to the casual eye the stocks all seem to have about the same profile.

Ideally, I would expect the geometry to shoulder would be the same (low recoil and good control) and the cheek piece would be high or lower based on the siting system.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For me the primary sights for my doubles are the iron back and front sights. When I've scoped a double, it's been mounted with QD rings as low as possible. That has still required adjusting my cheek on the stock to get the full scope sight picture. Presumably that's why doubles use claw mounts by preference -- they enable an even lower mount.

The double I've custom ordered from Bailey Bradshaw will rely on the irons, adding a top lever peep for best clarity. No scope for it, but then it's in .22 k-Hornet...

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fourbore:

If you order a custom built double, do you have the stock setup based on your primary choice of sites? If not, why not? I see a lot of photos of doubles with QR scopes and to the casual eye the stocks all seem to have about the same profile.

fourbore,
You need to have the stock correct for the iron sights, if you intend to use them.
If you had the stock done with a higher comb to suit scope use, when the scope is taken off, you will find it difficult to get your head low enough to use the irons properly, no matter how low the scope is mounted.

Posts: 232 | Location: Queensland Australia | Registered: 04 March 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you had the stock done with a higher comb to suit scope use, when the scope is taken off, you will find it difficult to get your head low enough to use the irons properly, no matter how low the scope is mounted.

So simple, That makes sense, ... Thanks.

Posts: 1226 | Location: New England  | Registered: 19 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I think the great assumption is when you are using the scope you are far enough away to have that extra half second to get proper position (this is where practice comes into play) for the shot. When you are expecting up close and personal action take the scope off. I think if you do practice you will find it is easy to get proper position. You can always add a lace on pad if you don’t plan on taking the scope off.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A couple of years ago, I ordered my 450/400 with a Swaro 1-6 scope. I asked Heym to fit the stock for the scope, and to put a peep as primary iron sights.

Sacrilege. I don't care, what makes sense makes sense, and I intended (then) to use the scope as primary sight.

Heym delivered the rifle with a low-mount scope, and with the irons higher than standard, so line of sight for scope and peep are very close.

Result? I now shoot only the irons, the rifle's fit is perfect for me, and if I want to use the scope it fits too.

The comb is straighter than on most doubles, and recoil is very controllable, the rifle pushing quite straight back. I'd be curious to try a similar double with a "standard" stock configuration, to compare.

Philip

Posts: 1252 | Location: East Africa | Registered: 14 November 2006Reply With Quote