New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Krieghoff 500/416
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just broke down and traded in my Zeiss scoped Dakota Safari (375) for a Krieghoff Big 5 (PH) in 500/416. I live in Norway and the store sadly had no ammo for it. So shooting is some weeks away. Was shooting 380 grain Rhino at around 2300 fps in my 375 and was not bothered by recoil except from prone (short eye relief on my 2.5-10 varipoint). So i don't think I will have problems handling the 500/416.

First impression of the gun is that it seems solid, well built and HEAVY. It really feels like two guns Smiler

I have read both pros and cons of this double on this form and my impression is that the safety turns a lot of people but others like it. I belong to the latter category.

What kind of accuracy can I expect to get from the gun? I reload and will tune loads for it. I will bring it on moose hunts yearly where ranges are usually from 50-150 meters. From what I have read, around 3 inches at 100 yards is not unattainable. As long as I do my part that is plenty for 150 yard shots on moose. Will hunt buff in Africa eventually and the gun should be superb for that?

Also here in Norway it seems hard to find 410 grain bullets (for which it was regulated). Will I have to work hard to make 400 grainers regulate well?

And thanks all for the great information on this site.

Regards, Bernt

Posts: 446 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post

one of us
posted Hide Post
Norsk, congratulations on joining the club! The K gun in 500/416 is a fine rifle. Are you going to put a scope on it? I would not worry about regulating it. Mine shoots 380 grain GS Custom monometals and Woodleigh softs (both barrels) within a couple of inches of each other at 100 yards (with appropriate loads). A scope makes it much easier IMHO to find appropriate loads. Takes the human sighting error out of the picture, so to speak.
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10515 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted Hide Post
Norsk: Beautiful rifle and lovely flooring!

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16654 | Location: Las Cruces, NM | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Good luck with that boomer. Nice straight grain in stock for strength. No moose will run away after that big bullet hits him.

Mike tu2

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bigdoggy2bore
posted Hide Post
Should provide a life time of hunting and shooting. Hope you enjoy it!

Used to be bigdoggy700 with 929 posts . Originally registered as bigdoggy 700 in July 2006.

Posts: 318 | Location: ILLINOIS , FINALLY GETTING. A CCW! | Registered: 14 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BaxterB
posted Hide Post
A great gun in a very useable caliber. Have fun.

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
This is for you. Will help with shooting.

Mike

http://forums.accuratereloadin.../1411043/m/745103114

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle. Nice wood. It will be a great gun for moose. I'm in the camp (minority?) of liking their safety as well.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Was shopping for dies, cases and bullets. Found a (50) Jamison cases (hope they are decent quality), some 400 grain Hornady Interlock bullets (1.5 dollar each, could not find cheaper) for getting to know my gun on the range. Hogdon H1000 Powder.

RCBS dies had 30+ days delivery and were expensive though (around 500 dollars for 2 die set). Is this because it is a custom die set or something?

Also when finding regulated loads for the gun (will start with 105 grain H1000 and work up to 109), should I have to expect to start over again once I change from Hornady's to Woodleighs (same weight)?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Look for Hornady dies.. They're much cheaper cost and good quality!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have not found Hornady dies for 500/416 sadly.

Also, I know shotguns should not be dry fired without caps. Will a little dry firing without caps damage my double rifle?

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
It'd be better to use snap caps. Try and find some for a 500 NE. They should work fine. The 500/416 should use the 500 NE as the 'base round'.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
You don't have these problems with Krieghoff or Blaser. You just de-cock them before you put them away. No snap caps needed.

Don't say it Biebs!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
It'd be better to use snap caps. Try and find some for a 500 NE. They should work fine. The 500/416 should use the 500 NE as the 'base round'.

Try the snap-caps for 500NE from GALAZAN they are short and work with the 500/416K . You don’t need them for preparing the rifle for storage, as Dave says just de-cock it, but you will need them for dryfiring!

quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
You don't have these problems with Krieghoff or Blaser. You just de-cock them before you put them away. No snap caps needed.

Don't say it Biebs!

Dave you know you don’t have to decock the Blaser because it automatically de-cocks the rifle when you open it to remove the cartridges or any other reason! Big Grin

If he wants to practice dry firing his K-gun he needs snap-caps!

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote