Find
Notify
Tools

Double trigger question
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted
I know that a true left hand double's triggers are different from a right hand doubles, but what are the exact differences and what difficulties will a left hander have in shooting a right hand double?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Antlers, as I understand it the main difference is that the trigger offset is different in that the front trigger is to the left of the set rather than the right as it is on a standard double rifle. This is to help in avoiding an accidental doubling by slipping on the trigger to the rear trigger at recoil. Whether the right barrel still fires first on a true left handed double I am not sure. The other main difference in a true left handed double is the top lever breaks the opposite direction. If I have that wrong I am sure someone will correct me.

I am a leftie and have had several double rifles, shot two elephant, buffalo, etc. and have never had any difficulty using a standard DR with normal triggers. I actually think most of it is in our heads anyway. You will probably never notice the difference unless someone tells you that you should think about it.

As to other left handed guns I am definately a fan of left handed bolts and left handed auto ejectors in shotguns when those types of machines are called for.

York, SC

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
The front trigger fires the right bbl in a RH gun.

A true LH gun is a "mirror image" of a RH gun, i.e.: front trigger fires left bbl.

Top levers open in opposite directions, trigger-guard edges are "rolled" for RH or LH and of course the stock dimensions themselves are for RH or LH.

Stock dimensios aside, I've found very few LH shooters actually want a true LH gun. Typically they've become so accustomed to shooting RH guns that they don't want to switch everything up with a true LH gun.

If you're LH and shooting a RH double (depending on the make of the gun), you'll probably want to have the triggers bent so that they are more easily accessible, or twisted so that the outside edges (for a RH gun) are not so sharp when shooting it LH.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm left handed, as is New Guy.

I have the triggers twisted for right handed shotguns and my DR and make neccesary changes to the stock dimensions - ussually cast is the more troublesome issue - and live happily ever after.

You can often, even ussually, have a stock with not too much cast off bent to accomodate the cast on a lefty requires. Watch out for long top straps here. You can also take some wood off the right side of the stock if neccesary to get the gun to fit.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
DO IT YOURSELF

you can switch the position of the triggers on the trigger plate - putting the right trigger in the left slot.

the slight bend of the trigger will be no hinderance. and you won't ever have to worry about having you finger set off the second bbl

if you know how to operate a screwdriver you can easily do this.

or another alternative is to just join a right handed world and become a righty ! ha !

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ChopperGuy
posted Hide Post
Having the left handed curse (not really), I shoot all my SxS shotguns and my double rifle with right handed double triggers. I prefer them that way. I shot a left triggered shotgun once and doubled it several times as I was used to the extra space between my finger and the second trigger. Bending the triggers is probably all that you will need to accomidate shooting the rifle left handed.

I agree that stock cast is more important than trigger placement. Over time you even get used to cast off (right hand) by tucking the gun tighter into your cheek. Stocks can usually be bent to accomidate cast on for the lefty.

Practice makes perfect does apply here. I actually prefer double triggers and I'm faster with them than a single trigger now. I'll often find myself trying to pull the rear of the triger guard when shooting a single trigger repeating or double firearm on the second shot. Really does not work very well!

Good luck.

Mike

If you are in trouble anywhere in the world, an airplane can fly over and drop flowers, but a helicopter can land and save your life. - Igor Sikorski, 1947

Posts: 676 | Location: Spring Branch, TX (Summers in Northern MN) | Registered: 18 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
I'm left handed, as is New Guy.
JPK

He only wishes he was a left hand shooter!

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
Ok, so now that I know I can deal with a RH double (with mods) another question: Can a RH DR be retrofitted with a LH trigger assembly?

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
look a few posts up to

DO IT YOURSELF

if you want to get real fancy then have the triggers re-bent for a lefty or buy new triggers made for a lefty.

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Antlers,

Thre is no reason to move the triggers, imo. Just twist them, or have it done, so that the trigger blade is facing to the left instead of to the right. That way your finger makes good contact with the trigger instead of just with the edge of the trigger blade.

I have never doubles my DR or my 10ga or any of the other once righty guns I have.

BTW, if you actually move the triggers or make new ones you will have sear engagement issues to be aware of. Too much and the triggers will be stiff or gritty, too little and it can be unsafe. If the rifle has decent trigger pulls then likely each trigger has been individually adjusted to its sear or vice versa or both. Not a big issue for a good gunsmith but not something for the average joe.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote