THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    A little help, please, with the .303 British
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A little help, please, with the .303 British
 Login/Join

Picture of 450/400NE
posted
Anyone have a good load for a double rifle in .303 British using 215 grain Woodleighs? I will be starting load development with 37 and 38 grains of Reloader 15 ( Ross Seyfried's formula ) using a P-14 Enfield as a test bed.Thanks!!

450/400NE

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have the double rifle in .303 British now? You should have the load it was regulated for. If you don’t have the rifle working up loads using a P-14 Enfield as a test bed is a waste of time. The loads won’t shoot the same in a double rifle as in a bolt rifle.
By the way please post your location in your profile and welcome to the forum.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
Picture of 450/400NE
posted Hide Post
Bill,

Thanks for the welcome. The double rifle in question is being built for me so I have the option of creating the load for which it will be regulated.I must disagree that using a bolt gun for load development is pointless. On the contrary, it will give me useful information as to ballpark velocities, felt recoil,relative accuracy and performance on game at the target velocity.

I will modify my profile to include my location,McAllen, Texas.I would enjoy discussing double rifles with you.

Posts: 20 | Location: McAllen, TX | Registered: 17 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
welcome to the forums... unless you can duplicate the twist, barrel length, chamber dimensions, everything exactly, i agree with bill that the bolt gun won't shoot the same as a DR...for instance: i've got 2 30-06's.. a garand and a m70... the garand will shoot 150 gr ball milsurp into 1" all day long... the m70 has a 4" pattern if i'm lucky...i've got 3 .458's , a whitworth that will shot MOA, a m70 that won't and a ruger #1 that might...just my experience... anyway, welcome to the forums, and if you head north , you're welcome to shoot with me at the range in pt lavaca...i have 1 DR.. a 9,3 x 74r chapuis..scoped wwith a leupold 2x7x20... who's building your .303???

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2833 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who is building your rifle? Most rifle builders will only use factory ammo to regulate a double. Have you talked to them about using loaded ammo and loads you provide?
What bore diameter are you using? The Woodleigh bullets are .312 diameter. Hear is a load that I have tried before 215 gr Rem sp 39.5 gr 4895 powder for about 2183 fps. “the usual disclaimer appliesâ€
I think the 303 is a great small caliber for a double should make a great pig wacker.
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
450/400NE:
Check private messaging, please!
mhb - Mike

Posts: 10 | Location: S.E Arizona | Registered: 04 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check your PM's and good luck
Raff

Posts: 460 | Location: Arizona | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gator1
posted Hide Post
450/400NE

Try this.

Rifle: Alex. Henry
Bullet: 215 gr. Woodleigh RNSP
Powder: 42.0 gr. IMR 4895
Case: Remington Trim length 2.210"
Primer: Winchester standard large rifle (not mag)
Length: 3.060"
Vel: 2075 FPS. Chronographed
Results: 1 1/4" to 1 1/2" 6 shot groups at 50 yds.
Shoots to the sights.

http://forums.nitroexpress.com/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board...Search=true#Post9847

Gator

A Proud Member of the Obamanation

"The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left."
Ecclesiastes 10:2

"There are some ideas so absurd that only an intellectual could believe them." George Orwell

Posts: 2753 | Location: Climbing the Mountains of Liberal BS. | Registered: 31 July 2002Reply With Quote