THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    William Douglas Double Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

William Douglas Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
New Guy here, I have had a lot of interest in /double rifles for some time and three years ago began to research and two years ago bought a Wm Douglas 470 NE, since then also bought a Charles Lancaster 450/400 31/4 since sold and recently acquired a Boswell 450/400 3" I am learning to reload and am having a blast literally. My question..anyone have any info on William Douglas and Sons? I love the way this rifle looks, it shoots fine ( I'm getting better) but will it hold up? how does it compare to Heym, Chapius, and other more sensibly priced doubles? Any information would be appreciated.

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They hold up fine.

Made a believe by a guy named Seagent in the UK,
the name Douglas i think was just someting english
they came up with.

I believe Cape outfitters or Champlins may have had something to do with getting them made - ie a low cost 470 Nitro.

I have one, they shoot great, handle well, feel well balanced, an all round good working gun.

Lighter than Merkel.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
Very good rifles, I owned one for a number of years and sold it last year to put down some on my two FAMARS guns.

They were imported by Don L. Shrum of Cape Outfitters, In Cape Girardeau MO. I think the barreled actions were made in Holland and they were finished and stamped in England. I think they made around 100 470's and 10 500's. My 470 was regulated with Federal and just shot wonderful. It is now in the hands of a Bot's PH(getting good use I hope)

They are very fine working guns, and did increase in value. To get that same gun built today with copper lump barrels and CC action with Purdy 3rd bite. You would be looking into about 25K.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
CC action
Ed

.............CC action ?????????????

The Willian Douglas rifles were good solid field rifles, and were commisioned by Don Shrum who owned Cape Outfitters till his death a few years ago. It is true that the actions, and barrelsets were made and fitted together in Holland, and proofed, regulated, and finished in the UK, and imported into the USA by Shrum.

They are field level rifles, but have the status of a perspective collector item, because of the low number made, especially chambered for 500NE.

I have never owned one of them, but almost bought one from Dan a few yrs back, but bought a 140E Merkel 9.3X74R instead, because I didn't need another 470NE, and he couldn't get me a 500NE WD rifle.

...............Enjoy your new rifle, Mr. Taylor, and welcome to DRSS! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MacD37:
[QUOTE]

Mac,

I think he means CCH, Case Colour hardened.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 505ED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 500N:
quote:
[QUOTE]

Mac,

Yep, Colour case hardened/ although some were coin finished too.

Ed

DRSS Member

Posts: 2289 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]

Mac,

Yes I think you are correct, and it finally dawned on me later! The CC just seemed to be a brand of action I had never heard of!!!!

................................. homer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 505ED:
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]

Mac,

Yep, Colour case hardened/ although some were coin finished too.

Ed

In which case he would have put CF Big Grin

one of us
posted Hide Post
Guys,

I have one in 470 and it's a great rifle.

Any idea what a 470 in good condition is worth these days? I'm toying with the idea of selling it to buy something else.

All the best;
Brett

One of Us
Picture of sjm
posted Hide Post
I have one and can not fault it , prefer to merkel, a good solid rifle.

12x12/9.3x74R

Posts: 134 | Location: Melbourne,Victoria,Australia | Registered: 11 June 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sorry posted a reply re
wm douglas value on separate thread my bad anyone interested please refer to that posting.....new guy will try to do better in the future...Cheers

Posts: 98 | Location: NW Missouri | Registered: 26 June 2009Reply With Quote