Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel Frosting...
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted
Could someone please define this for me and discuss it's implications in older firearms? Thank you.

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with Kings - nor lose the common touch...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more - you'll be a Man, my son!
- Rudyard Kipling

Life grows grim without senseless indulgence.

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
found this on the cmp website..... Frosting is the result of myriad tiny pits that are usually the result of using chlorate-primered ammunition in the firearm and not always properly cleaning it soon enough after use.

Looking at a light reflecting thru a frosted bore is reminiscent of light reflected off of frosted glass.

Usually the main issue with frosted bores is that it more difficult to get them clean.

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim!

On the plains of hesitation lie the bleached bones of ten thousand, who on the dawn of victory lay down their weary heads resting, and there resting, died.

- Rudyard Kipling

Posts: 7558 | Location: Victoria, Texas | Registered: 30 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Bwanamrm, the so-called "FROSTING" of the bore of old rifles just ahead of the neck of the chamber, to a short distance down the bore toward the muzzle, is caused by very hotly burning powder. Commonly called "Cordite burn"!

Cordite burned very hot, and caused the frosting. As long as the bore is clean past a few inches of the bore ahead of the chamber it doesn't usually effect accuracy.

The effect of Murcuric primers is to the full length of the bore, if not cleaned properly, and quickly after fireing ammo that is so primed. A solvent soaked patch run through the bore of a rifle that comes out GREEN is an indication of murcuric primers haveing been used without cleaning. This does effect accuracy quite seriously.

Hope this helps! coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Agree with Mac on this one.

If a gun had "frosting", it doesn;t worry me that much as long as it hasn't developed into deeper pits so that (deeper pits) is the one thing I look for.

Unless the barrel is really worn or some other problem, I haven't noticed it affect accuracy in the guns I have used.

Definately harder to clean but with the products on the market we have now, it's a lot easier.

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Thanks all...

- Rudyard Kipling

one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
Just can't resist buying a double, can you? So what is it that's on the menu?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19369 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bwanamrm
posted Hide Post
Wickedly clever marketing plan the folks at the Fine Gun Library at Cabelas' in Buda have dreamed up! Leave the bloody doors to the gun cabinets unlocked so the weak minded and weaker willed can handle the merchandise! Might as well put fish hooks in there...

- Rudyard Kipling

One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
ok... i'll bite.... what did you find????? fishing

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Tell Hal Skaggs I said Hi. I see he has an older 577 Jeffery there that's interesting, but the numbers on the action (177-650) indicate if was designed for the lightest 577 load. Still a cool rifle with enough power (650gr Woodleigh BP bullet at probably 1,900 fps)to do Cape Buff. A few other interesting pieces he has, too!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote