Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS 470 expander ball
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted
So, I'm an idiot. I got a case stuck in my 470 sizer die and was having a hell of a time getting it out. In the end, I broke the post on the expander ball shaft. How do I go about getting a replacement without having to but an entire new die?

Thanks.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Call who ever made your dies. RCBS will send parts free. I think CH4D will too. Not sure about Hornady.

BUT next time use a drill and a 1/4" NC tap and a few misc. washers to draw it out with a bolt or get the factory kit.
I just did this last week for another gent..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBoutfishn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
Call who ever made your dies. RCBS will send parts free. I think CH4D will too. Not sure about Hornady.

BUT next time use a drill and a 1/4" NC tap and a few misc. washers to draw it out with a bolt or get the factory kit.
I just did this last week for another gent..

What Mike said. I lost a piece on my RCBS press and it was sent out gratis the same day. tu2 Good folks.

Jim "Bwana Umfundi"
NRA

Posts: 3014 | Location: State Of Jefferson | Registered: 27 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike. I did have something cobbled together to try and pull it out, but it failed miserably - broken ball!

I'll call them and see if they'll send me something. Kind of frantic to have something resolved.

Posts: 1667 | Location: Las Vegas, Nevada | Registered: 12 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
The factory does sell a 'stuck case remover kit'.

But it's just a drill bit and a 1/4" allen head bolt and wrench as well as a spacer instead of washers. I use stuff I have in the shop and it works fine.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Join the club I've done that several times and RCBS has always sent me whatever I needed free of charge immediately.

I've since popped the $15.00 or so for both types of stuck case removers. That is money well spent my friend.

Also I have since started using Imperial Sizing wax to lube my big NE cases both outside on the body and inside the neck with a cue tip. I no longer have any stuck case issues and my brass lasts longer. Like twice as long as it used to.

Get your self both types of stuck case removers and some Imperial sizing wax, your life will become much more harmonious in regards to the loading bench.

In fact I lube all of my cases with Imperial now that stuff is the shizzle dizzle as they say. Wink

One of Us
Picture of Bwanna
posted Hide Post
Just called RCBS. No questions asked they're sending me another. Can't say enough about that! What a great company.