Find
Notify
Tools

Regulation: Scopes & Irons
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
All,
What are your experiences with scoped doubles regulating both wearing a scope, and when using the iron sights?

I ask having decided to look for a small bore double, with extra set of medium bore barrels (Chapuis, Merkel, Krieghoff???) and wonder about other's experiences. My own Gibbs in .350 Rigby No.2 regulates well with iron sights at 100 yards (left barrel prints slightly higher than the other, but that is because the right barrel is more worn). At 100 yards the Leupold 4x compact with both rings on the front tube regulates brilliantly with a composite group slightly better than with iron sights.

However, when I put a Leupold 1.5-5 Vari-X III on, for proper eye relief I had to separate the rings, putting one on each side of the turret. The barrels printed a foot apart. Evidently moving the rings had grossly changed barrel harmonics.

Grateful for knowledgeable views/comments on this issue.

Regards

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I have an old J.P. Sauer 8X60RS SXS which shoots 200-grain Nosler Partition bullets into 2.5" patterns (or smaller), R-L, R-L, etc., with s Leupold 2.5X-5X variable scope in claw mounts, or iron sights. It's pattern does not change when the scope is mounted or removed. However, I have not changed the ring placement on the cope tube, like you did. Markings under the barrel breeches indicate it was regulated with 198-grain ammo, and started out as a 7,8X57R, rechambered to 8X60RS in 1942 by "Kurt Anschutz". The barrels slug .322", and I am using RWS 7X65R brass to make ammo for it.

I have tried other bullet weights as well, and it seems to pattern 185 grain 175-grain, and 150-grain bullets about at well as 200-grain, but zero must be changed for the lighter bullets, of course.

Is it possible that the smaller caliber doubles are less sensitive to bullet weight change than the big bores in regard to regulation?

This target was shot at 100 yards with the scope mounted using Speer 200-grain bullets, which give a pattern comparable to the Nosler Partitions, but cost about half as much! I use the NPJ's when hunting, however. But the Speers would be fine for nothing bigger than deer.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Take a look at this thread:

Merkel 141E

I think it answers some of your questions

Also, I got my rifle from www.kebcollc.com It was a pleasure to deal with Ken.

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you both. I'm looking for where to put savings from this return period in Baghdad, and can't think of a better place than into another double, but smaller bore this time.

Judge, the Merkel, Valmet and Krieghoff (?) systems for regulating with screwdrivers/keys seems a winner. But the Chapuis are nice, shoot very well and I don't mind reloading... We'll see.

Regards,

Posts: 1322 | Location: Washington, DC | Registered: 17 March 2003Reply With Quote