THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Dovetail mount for Holo or dot sight on DR
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dovetail mount for Holo or dot sight on DR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I thought I remembered a thread here a while back about someone making a mount for a dot or holo sight that fits into the dovetail groove of the rear sight, allowing one to mount the optical sight in its place. Anything like that available? I'm not wanting to D&T or alter the quarter rib on a small caliber DR I have, but I'm getting beyond "open sight" age, at least for longer ranges.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Check out the first photo in Chris's thread here:

Click here

Maybe Chris can point you in the right direction.

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Doc, yes, I saw that. Maybe I'll call Chris and find out what rib width if it designed for. I thought someone made one where you drive out the rear sight, then that dovetail is used for the new sight base. Maybe I dreamt it...I do a lot of that with double rifles!!! :-)

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
How about these - I know what you are talking about as far as old threads related to that topic:

Rusty's experience

try this too - there is something about Recknagel mount and using the factory dovetail:
Click here too ...

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3465 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's it! It was the base that Rusty had. Unfortunately it is a "one-off" custom....back to the drawing board. I'll check the Recknagel.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Recknagel makes a mount for a red dot sight that fits their pivot bases. It is rifle specific as it is a one piece mount that fits the bases and pivots on and off.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bob, I was originally going to do Recknagel mounts and a scope or Aimpoint...just thought I'd save altering the gun by using the rear sight dovetail.

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Save the cost of the custom mounts and just use gorilla tape!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, might be easier!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
Depends on the brand of double you have.
I made a custom base for my K-gun 450/400 NE
from a 10 inch blank of picatinny rail that fit into the blank slot at the breach end of the barrels. Posted the construction and pictures here. Tried to find it but the pictures don't
show any more. Total cost was $125. Then installed a Trijicon RMR on the rail. Left the rail long enough to right up behind the rear sight to allow scope mount, never have done this. Sorry don't know how to post reference
thread but you can search 450/400 Trijicon RMR
and look for Tetonka postings. new-guy did this on Heyms with dove tails cut in the rib.
Mine still working great after over 300 rounds
thru the gun.

Good Shooting

Tetonka
DRSS

Posts: 295 | Location: Willow City, Texas & Polebridge, Montana | Registered: 12 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks! Many options on this, I guess.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,
JJ at Champlin Arms 580-237-7388, has done several of these. He showed me one a few months back, when I wanted to scope my Churchill .500 but I ended up staying with the express sights.
ND

Stephen Grant 500BPE
Joseph Harkom 450BPE

Posts: 625 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 21 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint supply a wide veriety for their Micro T1. Got a factory one with my new Aimpoint for my Krieghoff. Just what the doctor ordered.

Posts: 3026 | Location: Zimbabwe | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs, I was planning to have Mike Merker 828-698-8804 (?) make me a custom dovetail to fit into my Army Navy 450 in the same spot as my current irons. Just have not gotten around to it yet.

Larry

York, SC

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Larry, that's a thought. I know Mike and Danny, and they're not too far from me for shipping.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aimpoint supply a wide veriety for their Micro T1

Hey, thanks! I like Aimpoint products. I'll check their mounts out today!

One of Us
Picture of retreever
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

I have the aimpoint on my BLR 308 bear rifle.
Just pick it up and point like a shotgun the dot is right there...

Mike

Michael Podwika... DRSS bigbores and hunting www.pvt.co.za " MAKE THE SHOT " 450#2 Famars

Posts: 6768 | Location: Wyoming, Pa. USA | Registered: 17 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Biebs,

I decided that I wanted a dot sight on my Searcy too. Is an old enough rifle that the rib is too narrow to mill into a scope mount, so I replaced the rear sight with a flat mount for a Burris FastFire II.

Pics are in one of the threads listed above.

After using red dots and holosights on IPSC raceguns for many years the following factors drove my decision on the specific kind>

1) Price ... not as rich as I once was,
2) Smallest dot size
3) Good range of brightness control
4) Reasonable shape to allow the manufacture of a mount.

Is really not hard to make the mount for a Burris, but a mill is necessary.

Have had no difficulty with the sight. Is holding well under recoil.

Have used PDP red docs, Aimpoint, Serendipity, EoTechs, and the Burris over the years. The last three are really pretty good. Every Aimpoint I've ever bought has died due to battery contact failure.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote