THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    What double provides the best "value"?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What double provides the best "value"?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Under $20,000, what new double provides the best bang for your buck? For value, my top choices are:

1. Blaser
2. Krieghoff
3. Merkel

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hog Killer
posted Hide Post
Kind of depenends on how you (yourself) define "value". Resale, withstanding hard use, engraving, versatilty ???

IF I had the bucks to do it, I would look at (in a new gun)a Searcy or Heym in 450-400. In a used DR, a classic English in very good condition. Plenty of power for anything you want to hunt and will not beat you up with recoil.

Krith

IGNORE YOUR RIGHTS AND THEY'LL GO AWAY!!!
------------------------------------
We Band of Bubbas & STC Hunting Club, The Whomper Club

Posts: 4553 | Location: Walker Co.,Texas | Registered: 05 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
IMO “Value” is a relative term. If you want a very low cost double that will go Bang when you pull the trigger then the Blaser and Merkel and Chapuis may meet this requirement. Regardless of the various opinions in these makes, they tend to be some of the more affordable options.

If “Value” means you want modern technology and craftsmanship the I think the Heym, Kreighoff, Searcy come into play along with a few others. Heym rifles appear to hold their value better in relation to the other two however the new Searcy Classic rifles seem to demand very good prices on the used market.

If “Value” means you want to buy it now and sell it in 10 years for a significant profit, then the older Classic British doubles appear to offer the best potential to appreciate over time. The main Caveat of these rifles is to be sure you know what you are buying. Kind of like old Winchesters, good quality rifles tend to demand a premium price.

Regardless of one’s choice, it is a great time to own a double rifle. We have lots of options to choose from and the list keeps getting better and better.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Hog Killer:

I know that right now, both the Heym double and the 450/400 are very hot items. Heym makes a great gun. The workmanship is superb but for ME, I don't think it is worth $4,000 to $5,000 more than a Krieghoff and double the price of a Blaser but that's just me.

I know that guys who have the 450/400 just love them and it is indeed a fantastic cartridge. However, aside from the Searcy, most guns in that caliber run 10.5 pounds or more which I think it really heavy for a .450/400. In addition, you have to look hard at the ballistics. Take Hornday's ammo for example. It is only advertised at 2050 fps and 3732 ft-lbs of energy at the muzzle. That's not much more than my 9.3X62! Heck, it's a good cartridge but for the life of me I can't quite understand why someone would pick it over the more modern .500/.416. Again, just my view.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Owned the Krieghoff 500 for 15 years, I liked the safety/cocking mechanism, others do not.

I have fired the Heyms but do not own one, great guns.

Have fired Chapuis, Merkel etc.

I would , if buying new take the Heym or the K gun.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Price tag under 20,000 the Heym. Price tag under 13,000 the Merkel.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why buy a standard model like you mentioned when you can get a custom that will fit you for the same or less money? Searcy for me.

Posts: 3174 | Location: Warren, PA | Registered: 08 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikelravy:
Why buy a standard model like you mentioned when you can get a custom that will fit you for the same or less money? Searcy for me.

Mike:

Good point. The only drawback is the one year wait.

Dave

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Merkel, Blaser, Krieghoff = one size stock.

The HEYM and Searcy are both stocked to fit.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave
If I was buying a New made double today, it would be the Heym.

I have handled and shot several different rifles of the new makes, Searcy, Krieghoff, Chapuis, Merkel, and Heym.

Unless a fella has a lot of exerience with big bore rifles I recommend the 450/400.

I would have a scope fitted in claw mounts.

I have taken cape buff, lion and bull elephant with a 450/400.

If you are going to concentrate on elephants, and shoot several on each Safari, then I would recommend a Heym in 450 3 1/4".

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kriegs have the best resale bar none.

Value to Resale Value to Quality well you know what the answer is.

Kriegs kick less and we all know it.

Low pressure nitro express shells fall out everytime unless you break like a dove shooter.

But Searcy is an AMERICAN so he would be in the runnin I guess for me.

Merkel always gets the job done as long as you dont break like a dove shooter LOL and is the Throw Down gun of Africa. Only double ive lost and was more happy to be out of that #$%t hole.

On the Heym I would wait on the economy as payback is going to cost them. There are .470s and .416/500. in country at 14.5 K with a good case. But they Kick.

BWTFDIK

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .500Pro:

BWTFDIK

Say what, Confused

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ROSCOE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .500Pro:

Value to Resale Value to Quality well you know what the answer is.

Low pressure nitro express shells fall out everytime unless you break like a dove shooter.

But Searcy is an AMERICAN so he would be in the runnin I guess for me.

Merkel always gets the job done as long as you dont break like a dove shooter LOL and is the Throw Down gun of Africa. Only double ive lost and was more happy to be out of that #$%t hole.

On the Heym I would wait on the economy as payback is going to cost them. There are .470s and .416/500. in country at 14.5 K with a good case. But they Kick.

BWTFDIK

I would enjoy more elaboration on your comments.

R. Lee Ermey: "The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle."
We're going to be "gifted" with a health care plan we are forced to purchase and fined if we don't, Which purportedly covers at least ten million more people, without adding a single new doctor, but provides for 16,000 new IRS agents, written by a committee whose chairman says he doesn't understand it, passed by a Congress that didn't read it but exempted themselves from it, and signed by a President, with funding administered by a treasury chief who didn't pay his taxes, for which we'll be taxed for four years before any benefits take effect, by a government which has already bankrupted Social Security and Medicare, all to be overseen by a surgeon general who is obese, and financed by a country that's broke!!!!! 'What the hell could possibly go wrong?'

Posts: 2122 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bush:
Under $20,000, what new double provides the best bang for your buck? For value, my top choices are:

1. Blaser
2. Krieghoff
3. Merkel

In the under $20,000area there are only two that comes to mind. The Heym, and the B. Searcy classic. If off the shelf is a criteria, no others need apply!

If, however,off the shelf, you are looking at rifles in the price range of the ones you list, then my first choice would be the Heym PH hands down! After thay the Merkel then the K-gun.

Of the choices you listed The Merkel would be my first choice, with the K-rifle a close second. thumb

The Blaser is not in the running at all,IMO, at any price, if the rifle is to be used for hunting dangerous game! thumbdown

IMO, If you want a rifle you can buy off the shelf for under $20,000, the best would be the Heym 88B if you must have the 450-400NE chambering. Both the Merkel, and K-rifle follow closely in that order.

If you can stand the wait, then the 88B, and the Searcy will be made to fit you, and both are quality for under $20K.

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I will agree with MacD37. My Heym 88B comes up perfect for me. I took the challenge posted on this board and threw up my gun to my shoulder with my eyes closed. When I opened them. The front bead was perfectly centered in the bottom of the shallow V. I did this time and again. I just need more practice shooting!
If you be patient and shop around in this environment you might find a deal.

Posts: 3256 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For up to $20 K, you have lots of options besides those guns already mentioned.

Chapuis makes more double rifles than anyone else. They will also provide custom stock measurements when requested. Must be a reason they are #1 in double guns made.

Verney-Carron custom shop guns are also full-blown custom guns. They will make almost anything you want. I will put the V-C gun ahead of any other makers for looks, features and value in this price range. Ask someone that owns one. The V-C gun also won the Vintagers stopping rifle shoot last Sept and set a new course record. at the same time

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti...m.asp?Item=127332778

http://www.gunbroker.com/Aucti...m.asp?Item=127245053

Ken

DRSS, PP Chapter
Life NRA
Life SCI
Life DSC

Posts: 1329 | Location: PA | Registered: 06 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
For under $10K, it is hard to beat a Merkel. I got my brand new last year (game scence model) for way less that $10K and I love it. Spending $20K was out of the question for me. I am a soldier NOT a wall streeter. Fine what YOU like. Remember, opinions are only worth what you pay for them. Have fun, life is short.

Posts: 55 | Location: West Point, NY | Registered: 16 January 2009Reply With Quote