Find
Notify
Tools

Question for Baikal Owners
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted
Does your Baikal MP221 or Remington Spartan double rifle have chrome lined/plated barrels? Reason I am asking is, if they do, re-chambering is no longer an option for them. I know the shotguns I have, do have chrome plated bores and chambers and it is glass hard.

Posts: 17291 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Funny, I was going to put out the same question on the Form. Anybody have any idea out there?

Best regards

Malek
Good shooting/hunting and God's best

Best regards

Malek
Good Hunting/Shooting and God's best.

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
According to the EAA web page the MP221 has chrome-lined, hammer forged barrels.

http://eaacorp.com/portfolio-i...action-rifle-baikal/

NRA Benefactor
TSRA Life
DRSS
Brno ZP-149 45-120 NE

Posts: 937 | Location: Corpus Christi, Texas | Registered: 09 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I saw the web page which is why I asked the question; Web pages and ads are often not to be trusted. I would like someone with a rifle to look at his chamber and bores; if they are silver, they are chromed. If they are blue or gray, they aren't. thanks.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The chamber in mine, is not chromed.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Thanks, that is good to know; what about the bores? If they are chromed like the web site says, we will have to go with carbide reamer.

posted Hide Post
My Baikal has blue chambers/barrels.

Posts: 18 | Location: Southeast, Arizona | Registered: 04 September 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good; thanks for looking; that is good to know; I will have one next week to inspect.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine should be in next week too, I will inspect and post info.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

Posts: 812 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: 25 December 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mine has blue barrels/chamber. It is a Remington, I've had it 3-4 years. Fun rifle.

Posts: 219 | Location: North Fork, ID | Registered: 24 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gun is 8 months old, Blue Barrels
Also just had the triggers adjusted, much better

Dean

Posts: 67 | Location: Houston Texas | Registered: 30 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Good; the consensus is no chrome; that will make re-chambering much easier. Carbide reamers are expensive.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Got mine today; NOT chrome lined. Thanks to all who responded. Case closed.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I see that yours arrived before mine, cleaned up my old Remington/Baikal and the bores seems to be non chrome and I suspect the new one will be too.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok what caliber is yours and what caliber are you planing on making it?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
30-06; 30r Blaser

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dpcd

If you have a rifle that is well regulated for a given 30-06 load, would you expect it to shoot to the same point after being rechambered to 30R Blaser?

My assumption is that if you use the same bullet and launch it at the same velocity as the original regulation load regulation would remain unchanged.

I realize that with the Baikal you can adjust the point of impact. Just wondering what would happen if a rifle with fixed muzzles were to be rechambered? Do you have any plans to experiment with your rifle before doing the rechamber?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have to give credit to Malek; it is his original idea; I just liked it. I will shoot it in 30-06; it is supposed to warm up tomorrow and I dug out some LC64 Match ammo. Since the barrels are adjustable for windage, and can be adjusted for elevation with a bit of creativity, it will be no problem. As for a DR that has fixed barrels, I would not expect good results. Even if you sent bullets at the same velocity as the old caliber, you have changed barrel harmonics and that might affect regulation. DRs are very sensitive to barrel flip and jump and it is a function of how the bullets get to a particular velocity as well as the velocity that affects regulation. That is why some DRs are sensitive to different powders even though the bullet is moving at the same terminal velocities. Of course, in this case, there is no practical reason to do this, except for having a rifle that is not in so common a caliber. I plan to restock (even though mine came with extra fancy, upgraded walnut) and engrave mine as well. And tune the cocking arms and trigger creep; it needs it. They are not heavy but left one is very creepy. And all Baikals have severe "over cock" which makes the barrels hard to open.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have one with fantastic triggers. I had Keith Kearcher do the trigger job and he showed me what he did in there and wow what a lot of work. He did it well and cheaply I thought(about $100) and it shoots very well for a $700 double rifle. FWIW, mine is not crome either.

Matthew

Posts: 383 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After my experience of owning two Baikals, one in 06 and the other in 45-70 I would expect the regulation to change when you change anything on the rifle. Adding just 4 ounces to the weight of the 06 rifle when switching from a red dot to a small scope caused the rifle to be so far out of wack I could not regulate it.
Using the sling to hold the rifle in place with the 45-70 caused the groups to spread by 6-7 inches at 50 yards. Removed the sling, groups returned to normal.

Great rifles for the money but once you find a combo that works, stick with it.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm considering getting a Baikal in 30-06 myself. Let us know how this one regulates.

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
These Baikals are great guns for the money, strong and light and affordable but they need some work to get them to where one will enjoy shooting them. I already own one in 30-06 and like it so much that I bought me another one in the same caliber and am waiting for its arrival soon.

I have done some work on my first one, lengthened the stock, sanded down the grip and reshaped it. Now the grip feels great and it mounts like a fitted shot gun, also removed the automatic safety, etc. I am in the process of restocking it but first I am going to rechamber it to the 30 R Blaser.

I have been doing some load development. Last time I went to the range and shot a hunting load that I been working on. It did shoot 4 shots in 3/4" at 100 yards. I hope it is not a fluke and I will be able to duplicate it in the next couple of days as soon as the weather lets up a bit and the sun comes out.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Malek,

I hope that 3/4 inch wasn't a fluke either!! That's outstanding!!

Did you work on the triggers yourself?

Posts: 618 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 01 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cj:

I did not do anything to the triggers yet, they are a bit heavy around 6 lb with a little creep on the front one. I will do that when I take the action apart to change the main spring.

I did lighten the way it opens up a bit, also I just installed a light scope on it, I did not shoot it yet with the scope on.

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had both the 06 and 45/70, and still have the 45/70. My particular 06 gun shot terrific with Rem. managed recoil 125s, got it for the wife, who preferred her Ruger carbine, so it is history. My gun didn't like the 300's like most I read about, mine shoots best with 400's or 405's. What a great, quick brush gun!
Rick

DRSS

Posts: 709 | Location: Gulf coast SW Fla. USA | Registered: 21 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I don't know why I have been spending thousands of dollars for double rifles over the years; this one shoots better than any of them, and I got it regulated in 8 shots. The top two shots are touching, at 50 yards, and it continued to do that. All it needs is a new stock, action work, and some engraving, which I will now do to it. I should have bought one years ago but I thought they were crude and worthless. A bit crude, yes, but certainly a performer.
Shame they wasted this striped walnut on this poorly shaped stock. I could design them a new stock; in fact I already have. That ammo is Lake City Match. 173 grain.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very Nice!! I hope to order one in the next week or two.

What mounts do you have for the Leupold and where did you get them?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Warne, I got them from my basement and I bought them 20 years ago. I don't know if they still make the 11mm rings any more but that is what you need. Talley makes the same type of rings. Don't worry about a recoil lug on the rings; I used the rear sight for that. That is the airgun standard size so look at places like Pyramyd air for them.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
All it needs is a new stock, action work, and some engraving, which I will now do to it...Shame they wasted this striped walnut on this poorly shaped stock. I could design them a new stock; in fact I already have.

If you do a better stock for it, please let me know. I love my flanged ought six but the stock is an awful shape. I've had it lengthened to fit my long arms but the hand grip is horrible. I would love something that fits like my over/under sporting shotguns!

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Here is two I have done on Baikals; I have made a duplicating pattern for the first one and the Bavarian one is hand made but I am thinking about making a pattern for it too. If there is any interest in it, I will make some ; I have a good supply of nice wood too. These are not drop in stocks; 90 percent inletted but you have to know how to fit a stock and sand and finish it .

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
Here is two I have done on Baikals; I have made a duplicating pattern for the first one and the Bavarian one is hand made but I am thinking about making a pattern for it too. If there is any interest in it, I will make some ; I have a good supply of nice wood too. These are not drop in stocks; 90 percent inletted but you have to know how to fit a stock and sand and finish it .

Very cool! PM sent...

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like your Bavarian stock it will be a good thing to make a pattern and have it duplicated.
As I stated earlier I would be interested in having one made up for my new 30-06 Baikal which I picked up today and would be rechambered to the 30 R Blaser in the near future God willing .
It is definitely a good solid rifle and the barrels stays open all the way on this one, a surprising but welcomed change.

Incidentally what is the shape of the forearm on the Bavarian stock?

Best regards

Malek

Best regards

Malek

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i also like that bavarian stock ive been wanting to do something with mine for some time.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Ok, I will have some made in grade 3 walnut. That means it will have at least 50% color or figure. This will take at least 60 days. One thing everyone must understand; the Bakial action was made for shotguns, thereby having a very thin vertical grip cross section. My patterns are made for a grip that has been fattened vertically by bending the lower tang and bending the sears down also (not difficult) so this is not a drop in thing by any means. I can explain the mods needed. Or, if you like the thin grip, the stock can be rasped to meet the metal as is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
in my last pyramid catalogue they had the 11 mm scope mounts. i believe they where about $20.00 i have a set on my baikal and they have been trouble free. also are you going to duplicate a matching forend for the bavarian stock? any idea of the cost and do you want a deposit?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will use the forend pattern I already have for the straight stock. Price will be about 150 plus wood cost; I don't want deposits. I will just have them made and see who wants one.

one of us
Picture of prof242
posted Hide Post
I really like your second stock. I might even have to take my current stock off despite the nice wood on it.
For those of you with the .45-70, I've lengthened the throat of both chambers to enable a larger powder charge without increasing pressures. So far, no problems with heavier bullets. The thing loves Hornady 325gr LeverRevolution ammo. With the new handloads, recoil does increase.

.395 Family Member
DRSS, po' boy member
Political correctness is nothing but liberal enforced censorship

Posts: 3490 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote