THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    My V-C .375 H&H Flanged Magnum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My V-C .375 H&H Flanged Magnum
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted
I'm going back to Zimbabwe in early April with a sable and an elephant on my ticket. I thought I'd try out the Corbon 300 grain DPX (TSX type?) ammo that I bought when they had a close out.

I've had the .375 Flanged H&H Magnum for some time, but haven't really "wrung it out" until today. I shot it with irons and with the 1.25x4 Swarovski Habicht Illuminated scope on it. Dang if they didn't shoot lights out. This is my 100 yard target using the scope.

Now that its sighted in, I ain't changing anything. Big Grin

I was contemplating taking a bolt gun for the sable and my .500 N.E. Searcy for the elephant.... but they way the V-C shoots, I think I'll do a one gun safari.

Sometimes you get the bear.... and this time I did, I reckon.

This isn't my H&H Royal .375 Nitro 2.5". I'm still working on loads for it. It shoots fine, too, but I'm trying to get a 235 grain load for it and will keep y'all posted.

The two (still yellow) shots an inch high were my final two. The two taped over and touching about 1.5" above were before I brought the scope down a bit. The two a bit above them and about 2" apart were with Norma 300 grain solids, also before I clicked down the scope two inches. Right at the number 8, now taped over, are 4 shots with the Corbon ammo made while I was adjusting the scope from the single shot, my first, over on the left side of the target. So.... by my figuring, both the Norma and especially the Corbon, are dynamite in the rifle. Alas, I think Corbon is no longer making .375 H&H Flanged Magnum. Damnit!!!! I've got a half-dozen boxes of 10, so I'm going to horde 'em.

I really would rather hunt elephants with iron sights, and they're fine, too. The Norma solids for which the rifle was regulated puts a right and a left about 1.5 inches apart at 40 yards with my tired eyes.

Thank you Ken Bush and Jerome!

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

Posts: 7711 | Location: GA | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Judge - that is some fine shooting - Jerome really builds them well. Best wishes for your upcoming hunt.

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That looks more than acceptable to me! Plains game is in for some trouble!

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thats looking fantastic. Any photos of the rifle for us to enjoy? Who are you hunting with in Zim?

Posts: 1449 | Location: New England | Registered: 22 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Judge, you Dawg! you didn't tell me you had a VC in 375? Great shooting! did you have it regulated with or without the scope and what ammo?

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge, great shooting.

Is that target with Norma factory loads or reloads?

DRSS

Posts: 1975 | Location: Australia | Registered: 25 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
General/Jorge:

I ordered it two years ago at DSC and picked it up right after last last year's convention.

It was regulated at the factory with Norma ammunition , but it shoots about anything well. It was regulated with another scope but it actually shoots better with the Swarovski. With iron sightss it will put whatever you shoot into a 3 inch circle at 50 yards. It weighs less than nine pounds with the scope and only seven and change without it. Recoil is negligible.

Give me a call this afternoon and I we'll talk about shooting it when it warms up. You need to see the progress on my cabin and my property, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by jorge:
Judllge, you Dawg! you didn't tell me you had a VC in 375? Great shooting! did you have it regulated with or without the scope and what ammo?

JudgeG ... just counting time 'til I am again finding balm in Gilead chilled out somewhere in the Selous.

One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
Ok, Ernest. I'll give you a call this afternoon. Had a good day at the range with my VC 450. I'm very happy with mine!

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge,

Looks like you've got a shooter. And, I'd call it "in."

Posts: 10376 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: 26 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of loud-n-boomer
posted Hide Post
Please post pictures of the rifle. A .375 H&H Magnum double rifle is my dream gun. I had a chance to buy a really nice Wilkes in .375 H&H Flanged about 10 years ago for $10,000 and just could not find a buyer for my left kidney.

One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know. - Groucho Marx

Posts: 3844 | Location: Eastern Slope, Colorado, USA | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Here are some pictures made when I first got it:

While I will use the scope for longer ranges (and that is what was used when I got the great groups referenced above), I most enjoy shooting it without glass. It shoots better than I can hold, both with the scope and irons, but with no scope, it handles better than any rifle I've ever had. It is a dream.

BTW, I have new Swarovski glass on it now.

One of Us
Picture of subsailor74
posted Hide Post
Judge - sorry to pile on, but I took delivery of my .375 fLanged from Ken Buch yesterday. Mine is an O/U,otherwise it is similar to yours. I have not shot mine yet, but I hope to get out to the range by this weekend. Jerome really builds nice rifles!

Posts: 1594 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 29 September 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JudgeG
posted Hide Post
Pile on anytime, Admiral. After all we accomplished about the same thing in the military , you being flag rank and me being a Marine captain. Eeker

Nice rifle!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Judge G,

Congratulation on a wonderful rifle and some fine shooting!

Regards
Esskay