THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Light Caliber Double Wanted....375 Flanges or ???
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Light Caliber Double Wanted....375 Flanges or ???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted
A friend had several shoulder surgerys...Recommendations for a friend?
Thanks!

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tomahawker
posted Hide Post
I bought one of them baikals in 45/70. Amazed how little recoil there is. I've seen some 405win and somewhere a 308. I read Rushby loved his 375 flanged on lion. Reduced loads are always an option.

Posts: 3462 | Registered: 27 November 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Depends on how hard you can hit his shoulder; even the baby 30-06s kick a lot to some people. Chapuis makes a 30-30 which might work for him, again, we don't know his threshold. Actually, some of the bigger bores kick less due to weight, and the recoil velocity is low, so there are many factors involved. The most vicious is a 9.3 with iron sights; those will break your cheek bone. Add a scope and they calm right down.
How about a vintage 375 flanged (not mag) BP rifle; those don't kick much.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
.450 bpe.
I have a dandy for sale. Cool looking cartridge, great for deer and black bear, and brass and bullets are common.
Email or PM for pics if interested.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
Thanks!

Steve Barnett has a beautiful h&h dominion for the 2.5" .375 for sale.

Posts: 1279 | Location: The Bluegrass State | Registered: 21 October 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buckstix
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SAFARIKID:
Thanks!

I have an Edward Kettner Box Lock Double rifle in 35 Winchester caliber I could sell. This is a mild recoiling double.

Comes with Case & Misc - w/ Weaver 2-1/2x Scope in Claw Mounts

Chopper-Lump construction - 25-1/2" Bbls - 2-Leaf Express Sights - 7# 6oz - 14 1/8" LOP

Greener cross-bolt - Side Clips - Sling Swivels - Horn Butt Plate

Patented "pop-up" cheek piece, so you can switch between Iron Sites & Scope.

It has "set-trigger" feature on both triggers.

marked - “Koln, A/RN” (Cologne) & "Eduard Kettner" - "8.6" - "3126" - "Crown G" "small Eagle" "Leige proo" "S in hexigon" = (Suhl Schilling Forge Trade)

Let me know if you would like pictures

" .... you never pay too much for something, you only buy it too early .... "

How to Hunt Wisconsin Whitetail Deer with a Cannon

How to Hunt Feral Cats with a Mortar

Posts: 2135 | Location: Whitetail Country - Wisconsin | Registered: 28 September 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SAFARIKID
posted Hide Post
Thanks all! Some nice stuff here..passing it all forward to my friend tonight.... dancing

"That's not a knife..THIS is a KNIFE" !

Posts: 6572 | Location: NEW ORLEANS / CAJUN COUNTRY!!! | Registered: 05 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You can come up with all sorts of light kicking calibers in double rifles..Im using a 250-3000 double (on loan) for whitetail this year...

Doubles are ment for DG for the most part so he must stay within those limits I suspect..therefore a 9.3x74 would get him by about as well as anything, not quite legal but never questioned in Africa...The 375 flanged recoils a much or more than the 450-400-3" or 31/4" IMO..probably because they are made on .470 actions and weigh 10.5 to 11 lbs..That's what I would recommend.

BTW, the 9.3x62 or 64 is not a vicious kicker that breaks ones cheek, a comb to high and too much drop at the heel will be bothersome, but if the stock fits, the 9.3s are no more of a kicker than a 30-06 with 220 gr. handloads, or a factory 300 H&H..To me about like a 7 mag. would be a coparison if both guns fitted the shooter.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41964 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
I have had my shoulder rebuillt twice. I shoot a Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R with no problems. I just killed 12 plains beasts; springbok to eland; at ranges of 42yds to 220 yards with no problems.

Safe shooting........LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One Of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot both 405 Winchester in a neat little Francotte imported by Griffin and Howe and so labeled...and a 303 British, H&H Dominion....both light recoil and good for most NA animals...and of course Teddy Roosevelt shot many DG animals with his 405 Win 95....
Make me an offer!!
Cheers,

470EDDY

Posts: 2599 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Huvius
posted Hide Post
I could be persuaded to sell my Maharajah of Alwar Westley Richards 350No.2

I'm with Cal though.
A fine 450bpe or a 450/400bpe would be nice. They don't kick that much and are very versatile.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Colorado U.S.A. | Registered: 24 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Huvius:
I could be persuaded to sell my Maharajah of Alwar Westley Richards 350No.2

I'm with Cal though.
A fine 450bpe or a 450/400bpe would be nice. They don't kick that much and are very versatile.

I find it truly amazing the number of people that turn their noses up at a fine bpe double from some of the best makers from the UK, made during the vintage years of the Victorian or Edwardian eras, and buy a Sabatti or other European double for, at times, the same money. I guess that's why in today's world a "custom shop" rifle can be 100% machined parts glued to a plastic stock--with absolutely zero hand work. But, that said, there are more of the vintage rifles for a limited number of folks who appreciate fine engraving, wood to metal fit with no gaps, and the romance of a bit of history.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vlwtx348
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SFRanger7GP:
I have had my shoulder rebuillt twice. I shoot a Merkel 141E in 9.3x74R with no problems. I just killed 12 plains beasts; springbok to eland; at ranges of 42yds to 220 yards with no problems.

Safe shooting........LL

Smiler Another 24 died from fright! lol

Posts: 310 | Location: NE Texas | Registered: 12 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SFRanger7GP
posted Hide Post
Cal I don't think anyone is turning up their noses. It is about what one likes and finds most practical for their needs. Anything vintage is a total pain in the 4th point of contact when it needs maintenance or repair. It doesn't matter whether it is a vintage car, watch, or English SxS. Parts are between hard to impossible to come by and qualified gunsmiths are scarce. Get out your check book to ship it now days and pray it doesn't get more damage during shipping. Heck where I live I cannot even find someone that can install a recoil pad let alone repair one of my 100+ year old English SxS shotguns. Vintage anything requires a distinct passion that not everyone acquires or finds reasonable.

Safe travels...............LL

Posts: 887 | Location: Wichita Falls Texas or Colombia | Registered: 25 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Merkel African Safari Series in .450-400 for sale in Classifieds. This is a very low recoiling double and absolutely gorgeous. PM me if you need pictures or want to call me. Thx

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
I find it truly amazing the number of people that turn their noses up at a fine bpe double from some of the best makers from the UK, made during the vintage years of the Victorian or Edwardian eras, and buy a Sabatti or other European double for, at times, the same money. I guess that's why in today's world a "custom shop" rifle can be 100% machined parts glued to a plastic stock--with absolutely zero hand work. But, that said, there are more of the vintage rifles for a limited number of folks who appreciate fine engraving, wood to metal fit with no gaps, and the romance of a bit of history.
Cal

Don't get your panties in a wad just because someone likes something different than what you are trying to sell.

Posts: 282 | Location: Foothills of the Rocky's | Registered: 04 June 2014Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Just how recoil affects your friend's shoulder, Safarikid, is something we can't really know, and it may be that that even a double .303 would be too much.

However, I don't recall any shoulder discomfort from my 10.25lb .450/.400. Yes, it lifts and pushes me back but seems much milder than my 338 WM, which is nearly as heavy when fully loaded.

Posts: 5009 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote