New
Find
Notify
Tools

RWS Published Velocities
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
You guys that have used RWS factory ammunition, how close to the published velocities did you find that the ammo actually chronographed?

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
9,3x74R - 293 TUG (UNI)
- published 2280 fps
- actually chronographed 2288 fps (only one measurement - right barrel)

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It depends on the gun more than the ammo. Every gun has differences in chamber size, throat length, bore size and barrel length. Many factors can change what the velocity of a certain load is. I'd say any factory load hits their published velocity in their test barrel. That's about all you can count on.

Posts: 2837 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've experienced results similar to mouse93 with their 9.3x74R 285gr T-mantel loads.

Posts: 193 | Location: Oz | Registered: 22 July 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
RWS use to load their ammunition quite hot and close to the CIP limit.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by husky:
RWS use to load their ammunition quite hot and close to the CIP limit.

That's my experience too..
Some 9,3x62 and 8x57 IRS ammo we chronographed were all 50-100 fps behind the promised vel.

M

Posts: 413 | Location: Norway | Registered: 14 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I don't ever recall a factory round that I have fired over a chrony being what the label said it was.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rusty, With the exception of some Hornady rounds that has been my experience. Of course the velocities published by Federingchester are not actual chronographed velocities, just theoretical ones based on pressure calculations in a test barrel. I was curious if RWS used real world figures in their published information since I can't buy their ammo in the US to chronograph.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
I don't ever recall a factory round that I have fired over a chrony being what the label said it was.

Plus one! As far as American made ammo is mostly speed checked in 30 inch test barrels, while most hunting rifles are usually no more the 26 inches on doubles, and more like 22 inches in single barreled rifles. so the speeds tend to be lower in the hunting rifle than listed on the box!

I have a box of BROWNING 375H&H ammo loaded in Canada that is hot as hell, I fired three or four rounds from one box and the recoil was more severe in a 10 pound scoped FN Mauser rifle than my 8.5 pound Ruger No1 458 win mag. The box has been setting on my desk for 15 years and is simply relegated to my ammo collection.

Hand loads is the only way to get the best your rifle will do, regardless of the type of rifle it is!

................................................................. tu2

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of husky
posted Hide Post
I beleive that Norma compared to for example RWS load their ammunition about 10% under CIP limit.

RWS are closer to CIP limit.

Posts: 1134 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mouse93:
9,3x74R - 293 TUG (UNI)
- published 2280 fps
- actually chronographed 2288 fps (only one measurement - right barrel)

Sam spot on - tho lets compare some other company ammo to gain some absolute comparison - same day, same barrel, same chrono...

CDP (Blaser) - 286gr - published 2296fps - chronoed 2257fps
Norma Oryx 286gr - published 2329fps - choronoed 2319fps
Geco TM 250gr - published 2460fps - chronoed 2289fps

So according to my data from my rifle - Norma, RWS and CDP are just there, while GECO is way off.

Posts: 2031 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote