New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chapuis 9.3x74R.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well amigos,my double just arrived today from the group buy through Dale.Absolutely beautiful.May post some pics later.One burning question however.I have not had this problem with any of my other doubles so am at a bit of a loss.Need some help here.The forend latch will not engage (properly latch) onto the dog on the barrel.Just too new?I don't want to force anything.Adjust the linkage in forend recess?I've got my test targets with the rifle so I know it was assembled at some point at the factory.I'd appreciate some feedback.Thanks.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4391 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When my Chapuis was new it was fairly tight.
You may already be doing this...

I always pull open the lever with my finger as I install the fore end.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Randy-

Got mine too. Be advised, the scope bases require some gunsmithing to get them to line up with the holes and the cutout. Also, the rings take a 2.5mm METRIC Allen wrench.

Les

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

The Few. The Pissed. The Taxpayers.

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
N.E.450#2,Yes I hold my lever open too,just that when the forearm is in contact with the barrel (in proper position) the latch remains in the open position.Was'nt sure if there was something I missed.
Les,thanks for the input;I have'nt pulled the rib blank off plates as of yet.Tommorrow perhaps.Beau Coup of rain here.Wanted to at least get bore sighted.

Posts: 4391 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Pics please!

Also how long total was your wait?

Posts: 952 | Location: Mass | Registered: 14 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Here ya go.......

This one had the extra 20 gauge barrels.

I think this is a nice piece of wood, but my buddy's stock is GORGEOUS.

Stootin' it tomorrow!

YEE HAW

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

Posts: 1582 | Location: Arizona and Nevada since 1979. | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Bad lighting at night............it's actually a bit darker than it shows here.

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Very nice pics. I'm jealous since I haven't seen mine yet...Mine's still MIA but hopefully it'll show up on Monday..

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jimatcat
posted Hide Post
nice pictures!!!!!!!!!!!!!!..... i'm getting the bug waiting on mine to be here later this summmer.......

go big or go home ........

DSC-- Life Member
NRA--Life member
DRSS--9.3x74 r Chapuis

Posts: 2842 | Location: dividing my time between san angelo and victoria texas.......... USA | Registered: 26 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike

Don't know whether to feel good or bad about your post, but mine is missing too. Been in the mail nine days now. Mine just had to get from Minnesota to Kentucky. I didn't realize until yesterday that Dale ships via USPS. That put a big shudder down my back, but I am hoping for the best.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to mention; Geoff had asked about the total wait. I went back and reviewed the emails, and Dale sent a note on 4/10 and said they would be ordered the next day. Based on that, delivery was Mid-April to Mid-January (roughly 9 months). The original delivery quote was mid July, but Chapuis claimed to go through a period of high orders and a shortage of workers. This still isn't as bad as the RBL I ordered from CSMC. I ordered in the first two weeks of orders in fall of 2005, with a delivery date of April 2006. Still no shotgun.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
LRH270
What did you need to do to the rings ect. to get them to work?
Thanks

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SUGGEST YOU BE VERY CAREFUL WHEN INSTALLING THE RINGS. LAST ONE I HAD THE RINGS FIT INTO THE BASES SO TIGHT YOU COULD PROBABLY BEND AN ALUMINUM SCOPE TRYING TO SWING IT INTO PLACE !

was your like that ??

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LRH270
posted Hide Post
Started to do it myself and chickened out real quick.....er, decided additional expert help was indicated Smiler

Right off the bat, I didn't have a screwdriver NARROW enough to work in the slots to remove the screws holding in the blanks. Took it down to my local gunsmith who kindly got right on my "little 20 minute job".

He had to make a screwdriver bit to fit the blank screws as well. Once we got them off, the screw holes in the rear base were misaligned fore-and-aft by about 1/16", and the front base was about that much longer than the cutout.

Luckily we were mounting bases on two of these at the same time, so we pulled off all the blanks and got out all the bases and mixed-and-matched to get the best fits all around, which still required a significant amount of careful hand-filing to get them to fit into the cutouts without significant gaps and with the screw holes lining up.

French QC sucks, at least in this regard, or maybe it's a reflection of the non-mass produced nature of the product.

We did have a moment of levity when Chris (my gunsmith) scratched his head over trying to find the blockouts on the shotgun barrel, before he realized what he was doing Eeker

The good news is it's all together, working well, and seems to work a little smoother each cycle. The bad news is the wind is going about 40 mph here this morning, so it looks like no shooting..... Frowner

OH, and my 20 minute job ran a little over 2 hours before we were done....

RMEF Life Member
SCI
DRSS
Chapuis 9,3/9,3 + 20/20
Simson 12/12/9,3
Zoli 7x57R/12
Kreighoff .470/.470

We band of 9,3ers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Got the forearm remedyed.Had to hold my tounge right.Damned tight fit though.Hated to force anything.You're right about those screws too.Very thin slot.Even with 2 sets of gunsmith screwdrivers I can't find a good fit.In there pretty tight too.I may just follow your lead Les,+ take it into the local smith.

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Congratulations!
What part of Texas do you live in?

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
very nice....congrats

DRSS

Posts: 1168 | Location: Pamplico, SC USA | Registered: 24 August 2005Reply With Quote