THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Baikal 30-06 measurement pls.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Baikal 30-06 measurement pls.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Could someone with a Baikal 30-06 measure the muzzle diameter of the barrels please?

Thanks,
Bryce

Posts: 188 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: 12 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got ~.630" for the outer diameter of the muzzle "shroud" (not the barrels itself) if that's what you meant. If not let me know and I'll take another shot.
Bob

DRSS

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made out of meat?"

"PS. To add a bit of Pappasonian philosophy: this single barrel stuff is just a passing fad. Bolt actions and single shots will fade away as did disco, the hula hoop, and bell-bottomed pants. Doubles will rule the world!"

Posts: 815 | Location: MT | Registered: 14 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I will measure it for you if you tell me why you want to know.

Posts: 17281 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wondering about reboring possibilities, since it has the enduser jack screw system.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
.540; I would rebarrel; not rebore. I have thought of ripping one apart and rebarreling it. You can still install the jack screw system. Any larger bore on the existing barrels would make for a very light barrel; the only drawback to that would be recoil. I also am not sure about reboring a barrel that is not in the form of a tube; not sure if their machines can handle a set of DR barrels.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. Hmm, wonder if you could stub it like the handi rifles?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
It is already monoblocked; so you would just re-use the existing monoblock with new barrels. I have not taken one apart (yet) so I don't know if they are screwed in or soldered in.

One of Us
Picture of BwanaCole
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
It is already monoblocked; so you would just re-use the existing monoblock with new barrels. I have not taken one apart (yet) so I don't know if they are screwed in or soldered in.

I would be curious to know as well. Up to what caliber do you think the .30-06 action could handle if it were to re barreled??

H. Cole Stage III, FRGS
ISC(PJ), USN (Ret)

"You do not have a right to an opinion. An opinion should be the result of careful thought, not an excuse for it."

Harlan Ellison

" War is God's way to teach Americans geography." Ambrose Bierce

Posts: 378 | Registered: 28 September 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
The 30-06 is actually a good test for a frame; it produces more back thrust than most other bigger rounds used in DRs. It will take anything that the frame size will take with regard to chamber size; they use a small frame for those, but Baikals are very strong, being made from surplus T74 tank cannons. (That part is a joke). I want to make one in 9.3x74, which it will easily handle. So I think anything up to and including the 375 fl would be fine, and of course, 45-70 level pressures and case size. But the breech mass is not there for a 450 Nitro; while it would take the pressure, the overall rifle weight would be too light and it would be impossible to control. Just have no time for that project now. I have built them on 16 ga Baikal shotgun frames, which are really 12 ga frames; too big for the 9.3.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had to shake the cobwebs out, and use intermediate school math for my dreaming.

PSI•πr^2

30-06 : 60000psi
.473 case diameter

So 10543lbs back thrust.

Then just scale it backwards for pressure.

Say a B&M "express" off the 50-110...

10543÷((.550•.5)^2•π)

So 44376psi ceiling.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Well, you are on the right track; just took the wrong train. You have to use the Inside diameter of the case to determine back thrust on the breech face. Putting a rim on a case does not change the amount of pressure acting on it, which is based on how much surface area the gas pressure has to act upon. (the pressure is spread over a larger area, but rims don't count as they can be thin or thick) You can put a pretty heavy .50 cal round on this action; just need to make bigger barrels. If I could find another cheap Baikal 06 I would tear it apart to see how hard it would be to install new barrels in the monoblock.