THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Questions re W J Jeffery Double Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions re W J Jeffery Double Rifle
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just purchased my first double rifle--a W J jeffery Double Rifle--Serial # 2855X, same on barrels but also barrel #d 2396 under forend
Proofed: "Cordite 80--500 Max--475 EX";
24 inch barrels, ejector w single trigger;
Tiger in Savanna engraving with case colors;
blued underneath receiver and trigger guard;
express sight and 4 pop ups tp 500 yards;
overall condition 80%++
From my research I think I have a No.3 Cordite express rifle built around 1930 using a leonard built action in 475 #2 Jeffery 3 1/2 inch NE-using .488 500 grain bullets; with optional ejectors and single trigger??

Am I correct in my research?? Any info to add? Any body have a load recipes they would like to share? And where I can buy correct dies?

Thanks for any info/help u can give me.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Before you buy anything, slug the bore with a pure lead slug and measure it - or get someone who knows what they are doing to do it for you.

Dies - RCBS - Huntingtons as one option.

Sounds like a good pick up.

"Tiger in Savanna" - often referred to as "Birmingham Pussy cats" because of the flat noses Big Grin LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
If it was proofed after 1924 it should have the cartridge length stamped on the barrel flats.

The number on the under rib would most certainly be the Leonard serial number. You will find that number stamped inside the action underneath the bottom plate and on the wood under the forearm metal.

One of my best friends David Guitar owns a Jeffery in 475 #2 Jeffery and it is an awesome rifle!
send me your email addy. rkmojo@aol.com and I will forward you the "Reloading the Nirto Express" article.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Pics or it didn't happen!

Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never posted pics b4--but read the "how to' at beginning of this forum--will try to get pics posted in the next few days

One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
send pic to me. I'll post them for you.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Here are the pictures.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Very nice indeed.

Just gotta love those Birmingham pussy cats !!! LOL

Posts: 3191 | Location: Victoria, Australia | Registered: 01 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of tendrams
posted Hide Post
Eeker

VERY nice.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
tasty stuff. corking tiger!

John

Posts: 172 | Location: Ireland/London | Registered: 09 February 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Rusty for posting the pics for me--and to everyone else for the congrats and info

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMHO a Jeffery, and any Leonard built double, are some of the best British doubles on the Planet.

The 475 No2 Jeffery is a great cartridge.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regarding the below rifle I say

MMMMMAAAAAA VELUS, simply MMMMMAAAAA VELUS...
clap tu2 salute dancing Big Grin dancing salute tu2 clap

Now we must know: weight, length bbls, LOP, velocity it regulates

at, loads that are working well, and those that just don't, and so on,

and so on, and so forth...
quote:

Jack

OH GOD! {Seriously, we need the help.}

Posts: 2791 | Location: USA - East Coast | Registered: 10 December 2005Reply With Quote