THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Introduction and a few newb questions
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Introduction and a few newb questions
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I’m new here and wanted to introduce myself. I’m from Texas but currently working in Saudi Arabia. “Home†is the Tyler area, but I spend more time in the Houston area when stateside. That’s the area where both my son and father live.

I’ve never owned a double rifle (do have a 16 x 16 x 8x57IR drilling) and I’ve never hunted Africa. I plan to rectify both situations in the next few years. A fellow expat here in Saudi has built a home in South Africa and can get me on some plains game hunts from now until I retire in about 6 years. Since both of us have all our guns in the U.S. and we’ll be leaving straight from work here to go to SA, we’ll both be hunting with whatever we can rent or borrow there. Once I retire I want to go back and hunt DG in Africa, though not necessarily SA.

I want to get a first double to initially use to hunt with stateside in the coming years. Mostly East Texas whitetails. So an 8x57IRS would probably be ideal, but I’ll opt for a 9.3x74R so I could use it for any NA game and any African plains game. Eventually I’d also like to add a slightly heavier double – probably a .450/.400 – for that post retirement DG hunt or hunts.

The Saudi’s block all internet access to any “weapon†related sites, so while here I can’t access manufacturer’s or distributors sites to get information on any of the doubles. I can access “Steve’s Pages†to download any PDF catalogs he has there. So I have most turnbolt magazine rifle catalogs. (if any of you have PDF copies of catalogs from Heym, Chapuis, Merkel, Searcy, et al, please contact me if you would be willing to email me a copy)

I should be in Houston for a week or so in August and will try to find “Eurogun Imports†while there. I’ll be back in Texas for a month for my annual leave in December and may be able to get over to Dallas and find Double Gun Imports there. I’d like to get up to Champlins, but Enid is a long way. I use to live in Duncan, Oklahoma and know that it’s at least 7 hours from Tyler. And if I remember right, Enid is a good 2 hours north of Duncan. Does Southwest fly into Enid?

I’d like to join the Double Rifle Shooter’s Society (by self declaration?). I’m hoping those here will let me know of shoots or other events within easy driving distance (<2-1/2 hours) from either Houston or Tyler so that I can try to get to some whenever I’m home.

Brazos Jack
Texan in exile in the logic free zone

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Doc52
posted Hide Post
Brazos Jack,
Welcome to the DRSS, you're in! when in town make a post here on AR, there are quite a few members who post here in the Houston area. I'm sure something can be arranged at a local range.
If you get up to Dallas, give Chris Sells a call at Double Gun Imports. He won't steer you wrong! He's GOOD PEOPLE!!!!

Doc52
B. Searcy & Co .577 NE
Double Rifle Shooters Society

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote!"

Benjamin Franklin 1759

Posts: 241 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
When you get down to Houston, let us know. Members of the DRSS are always looking for an excuse to go to the range!

And yes, Chris Sell is a good fellow to deal with.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Brazos Jack - Here are a couple that you can download.

Full HEYM Catalog
http://www.heymusa.com/catalog.pdf

Double Rifles Only
http://www.heymusa.com/web_catalog.jpg

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Chris,

Unfortunately your site is blocked here. You probably have front pages for each page mentioning "weapon" or some similar word. Maybe I can get someone to email it to me if its not large.

I have a 28th edition Blue Book. It shows the Heym 80B only about $1000 more than Chapuis UGEX. I have no idea what an 80B looks like or if you still import it. But I'd like to find out.

Brazos Jack

One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
I've emailed them to you.

And I'll apologize in advance for the prices in the Blue Book. They are waaayyy out of date.

I've been trying to get updated info to the publisher for 2-years, but haven't gotten it done yet.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brazos,

Look us up in Houston. I'm good for a ride from the airport or whereever your staying in the area over to Euroguns.

Between the members in the Houston area we can let you paw over ever maker your looking at and you can talk to guys that actually hunt and shoot for fun. We have been wanting to do a wiegh in and measurings so we can post them online about all the different modern makers.

December is great as most of the dealers have all the new inventory and ordered guns in-country.And the Afikaneers and PHs are in ready for SCI staying with locals in the area, Welcome

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks .500Pro,

I'm hoping to at least have a 9.3x74R ordered by the end of the year.

Chris Sells, up in Dallas, sent me a Heym catalog in PDF format. If anyone has Chapuis, Merkel, or Evolution in electronic format, please PM me for my email address.

I usually stay south of town at my Dad's in League City.

When I come for my annual leave in December, I'll have my wife and 2 daughters (twins due the end of May) in tow. Yes, the wife is considerably younger.