Find
Notify
Tools

Sabatti RETURNED
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted
Hi everyone !!! ... I bought a 45-70 Sabatti from Cabela's for $2,174 delivered. THEN... I found you guys and I GOT EDUCATED Big Grin. Here's the next hurdle ... I'm trying to find a GENTLY USED 9.3x74 double (I'm thinking maybe a Chapuis???) and I NEED to stay around 4000 or less Is it possible?. I can't just save a couple more thousand (kids, Wife..... Avoid another divorce). Ken (at KEBCO) is on the search and really tried to help (Great Guy by the way). Any advice is more than welcome and glad to be on the Forum!!!

Frank

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
4K might be a bit on the low side IMO. I haven't seen any go for that but you never know!
There have been some for $4500 and up of course.
I wouldn't part with mine for that much but someone might.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Frank - What was wrong with the Sabatti? Just wondering why you sent it back. Details please. Thanks

Larry Sellers

Posts: 3460 | Location: Jemez Mountains, New Mexico | Registered: 09 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
I just wasn't comfortable if something happened in the near future (as soon as the warranty ran out). With hornady FTX 325gr (supposedly regulated with), At 25 yards right barrel shot about 1 1/8" group and centered but high. Left barrel shot about a 2 1/2" group and low. .... also the shots from the left barrel crossed at 25yds! (by about an inch). I was very cautious of consistency, a proper hold, good sight picture, no interference from a rest or anything. So today... Off it went. (I only had 6 days left on the 30 cabelas return policy).

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

Posts: 489 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: 27 December 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I bought my Chapuis thru Dale Nygaard at http://heirloomarmes.com/ during a group buy here at AR. Also a great guy to work with. Drop a dime and see if he's got a lead on one.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Dale. I purchased both of my Chapuis's from him. He had the best price and is a perfect gentleman to do business with.

Build time for my 30R Blaser was only about 14-15 weeks and price was WELL under $5K.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Another vote for Dale. I purchased both of my Chapuis's from him. He had the best price and is a perfect gentleman to do business with.

Build time for my 30R Blaser was only about 14-15 weeks and price was WELL under $5K.
\

But he put your cheek piece on the wrong side not to mention the triggers being reversed! stir

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of D R Hunter
posted Hide Post
O/U 9.3x74R Rifles may be running at lower cost. They are often quite elegant.

D/R Hunter

Correct bullet placement, combined with the required depth of bullet penetration, results in an anchored animal...

Posts: 997 | Location: Florida - A Little North of Tampa  | Registered: 07 August 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
D R Hunter is on to something...

I have a Merkel 220e 9.3x74r - Great gun, accurate, and ready for anything you want to shoot.

This is my 2nd Merk O/U 9.3 - If I'm thinking right, I paid around $4,300 for my first one and around $5K for my current one.

I've got a couple SxS's and A couple O/U's - I like both platforms - The SxS is more elegant, but with my rifles, they've been a little more finicky with ammo.

You really can't go wrong with either.

JDA

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Last of my Chapuis's I got was close to $5k, if you want a scope add another $600 and you have to send them your scope. (they are all drilled for scope mounts but not regulated for them although some shoot fine as is with a scope added) There are plenty of used and new ones out there available for sale. Balckbern has one for $5275.
Over and unders will be less.

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike Brooks:
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:

\

But he put your cheek piece on the wrong side not to mention the triggers being reversed! stir

Mike,
As we all know we use the opposite side of our brain than our primary hand. So a left handed person is always in the right frame of mindSmiler

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sent you a PM with a possible lead on a rifle.

Karl

Karl Evans

Posts: 2813 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karl. I checked on it and sent a message.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
So far we have 4200, 4800 and 2 at 5000. I'll hopefully know the price on another one right here in Florida by tomorrow? That 5000 tag is soooo close to the new price though??? (scope mounts and rings are included with the used ones)..... Decisions decisions...... Big Grin

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Find out if they are regulated with ammo that can be purchased in the US. (And ask to see a target with more than 2 holes in it.)

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Chapuis only sends targets with two holes.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with William, Larkin and Moore in Scottsdale, AZ. They are a Chapuis dealer. I was there last summer, they had a very good selsction at that time.

Posts: 2173 | Location: NORTHWEST NEW MEXICO, USA | Registered: 05 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
OPINIONS PLEASE. Confused I narrowed it down to 2 Chapuis ... First is a 2nd owner rifle with an estimated 40-60 rounds shot thru it, scope mount and rings. He will include 40rounds of Nosler custom ammo and has box and paperwork with the factory target. Second rifle is a one owner rifle with a 120 - 150 shot count, scope mount and rings, it is missing some case colors from the receiver where it was carried on a 10 day hunt in Africa. It was re-regulated by JJ @ Champlin's after scope mount was added. He has ALL paperwork with factory AND re-regulation target, box and receipts. Deal Includes dies, 50 empty brass and 200 Speer bullets. He is even sending it back to JJ for a check up and then Champlins will send it to me if all is good. There is a 350.00 difference between the 2 deals (cheaper one is rifle #2). I have pics of both that I looked over best I could. So ....???????

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go with the one JJ regulated. You know it will shoot with the loads he used.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of LionHunter
posted Hide Post
Not even close. It's #2.

Mike
NRA Life
Sables Life
Mzuri
IPHA

"To be a Marine is enough."

Posts: 3577 | Location: Silicon Valley | Registered: 19 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
I'd choose what's behind door #2 also!

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
I'd go with either - Once JJ goes though a gun, you can count on it bing right. Assume both ar 9.3's?

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Both are 9.3.... I'm leaning toward rifle 2. The # 1 rifle owner is about an hour and a half away from me and he offered me a few shots before purchase... BUT the piece of mind from JJ and a 350 savings is pushing me hard .... Cool

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Brooks knows what I have, but it might not be what you are looking for. A lot less money though.
PM sent.

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike Brooks knows something? That's news to me! :-)

Posts: 20138 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
LOL, Yer funny Biebs.. Mostly funny looking though.! clap

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guess I'm door #1 and Drilling Man was the orgional owner of my Champuis. It's like new in the factory case with factory dovetail swing mounts installed. It's condition is like new in the box. Been fired about 20 rds.

Regards all, Byron

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Hi PastorP..... Email sent

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
FL... I can tell you got the bug... There is no cure!

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Haaaa Haaaa Haaaa !!!! I DO >>>> Now, if I only had a fuller wallet to make this all much easier !!!!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
I DID IT !!! >>>> I'm going with PastorP's deal !!! I'll be paying on a credit card for a while but ..... I'll FINALLY have a really nice double !!! dancing Thank you guys for ALL of your input and advice. I'm sure I'll have TONS of questions and learn a lot here about this new venture !!!! I hear this is an addiction ????? nilly

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
Go with the one JJ regulated. You know it will shoot with the loads he used.

I know for a FACT that the one in Florida is a good DR and is regulated well with Nosler 286 factory loads.

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmm..... How'd you know that DM??? (Just kidding) Big Grin. I met PastorP today, got a beautiful tour of the ranch, saw a couple deer,..... shot a few rounds out of that Chapuis and..... Brought it home with me !!! What a rifle! Once again I learned that "you get what you pay for!! Mr. P is a great guy and I'm ecstatic with my new (and first "real") double!!!

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the kind words Frank.... Now you need to come back & help out with our hog problem..... You have the rifle for it.

Posts: 104 | Location: Alaska & Florida  | Registered: 21 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! We'll have to get together and shoot some hogs someday!

Life Is For Service
DRSS

Posts: 254 | Location: South Florida | Registered: 26 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FLGrizzy:
Hmmmmm..... How'd you know that DM??? (Just kidding) Big Grin. I met PastorP today, got a beautiful tour of the ranch, saw a couple deer,..... shot a few rounds out of that Chapuis and..... Brought it home with me !!! What a rifle! Once again I learned that "you get what you pay for!! Mr. P is a great guy and I'm ecstatic with my new (and first "real") double!!!

Congrats and welcome to the club! Like I said, this whole DR thing is a sickness...

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Without several pictures of it, it didn't happen. Do not photograph it on top of a recycled cardboard box. Please.

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys ! You're a great crew and I'm looking forward to getting settled in and soaking up the info! I must've cleaned this thing 5 times already Big Grin not that it needed it.... Just an excuse to get it out. Dies, brass and Nosler partitions were ordered... Pics will follow (I just have to do a search here to learn how. Can I use photobucket? Hey Tarawa I'll call u --- are there any others in Florida that like to use doubles?

Frank

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Yup, use photobucket or one similar for showing pics.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:

One of Us
Picture of FLGrizzy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Mike

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS !!!!