Notify
Tools

Broken firing pins
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by enfieldspares:
Why this fetish for "letting down" the ejector or hammer springs two on a double gun? It is a pointless and unnecessary fad.

True, but it is an old and fairly wide spread "fad."

I am sure that you have seen horn "striker blocks" for sale in the UK, more than likely some new and old and well used.

I have seen the practice of "releasing the springs" among waterfowlers here in the US Mid Atlantic region with double, pump and even auto shotguns.

And I've seen an AD from the practice too!

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
QUOTE]

......The opening lever being off center is caused by wear. It will happen to any double rifle used enough over the years.....[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to learm more about this so that I understand how this wear happens. Is it simply the opening/closing of a DR that does this or is shooting more a cause of the lever moving towards center and eventually left of center?

I'm relatively new to DRs (and break open shotguns) and this thread has been of particular interest to me (the wear of the top lever and more so what the opinions / practices mentioned above on snap caps and warnings around pulling triggers once a rifle is opened. Ken educated me on what not to do and I'm always mindful of that when breaking down/reassembling my DR.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's not wear on the lever, per se, but wear on where the bolt engages into the slots on the under barrel lugs.

The travel of the top lever spindle to the left being arrested by how far the bolt can go forward (into the under barrel lugs).

So the lever on a new gun is usually a little over to the right to allow for that initial take up as the bolt beds itself.

Posts: 6820 | Location: United Kingdom | Registered: 18 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
How do you know it is from wear at all since none of you saw it when it was newly built? You are assuming it was to the right of center; what if it was centered, or even left of center new? It makes no difference where the lever is a long as the lugs are tight.

Posts: 17271 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since the lever to the left is a universal sign of wear you would be hard pressed to find a new gun with the lever to the left.

Most really good guns start life with a centered lever since they are built to substantially tighter tolerances and do not see that initial wear that a mid price or budget double sees.

Slop in the fitting is an invitation to wear.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:
Since the lever to the left is a universal sign of wear you would be hard pressed to find a new gun with the lever to the left.

Most really good guns start life with a centered lever since they are built to substantially tighter tolerances and do not see that initial wear that a mid price or budget double sees.

JPK

Fellas:
The doubles in my meager collection vary in years (now) between 1890 and 1920. These, and all i've had in the past, have never had the lever to the left. I state again, the old ones were made to such high quality that it is an embarrassment when one spends 10-40,000$ for a new double and the lever is off center, the wood does not fit, the muzzle wedge falls off, the sights, main springs, strikers, (etc.) malfunction. A mate in Anchorage bought a new double for 30K and the ejectors on one set of barrels do not work and the chamber dimensions are way off
I've had some refinishing done on my vintage doubles, but no repairs.
Be gentle. I'm sensitive.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

JPK

Fellas:
The doubles in my meager collection vary in years (now) between 1890 and 1920. These, and all i've had in the past, have never had the lever to the left. I state again, the old ones were made to such high quality that it is an embarrassment when one spends 10-40,000$ for a new double and the lever is off center, the wood does not fit, the muzzle wedge falls off, the sights, main springs, strikers, (etc.) malfunction. A mate in Anchorage bought a new double for 30K and the ejectors on one set of barrels do not work and the chamber dimensions are way off
I've had some refinishing done on my vintage doubles, but no repairs.
Be gentle. I'm sensitive.
Cal

Cal - Your collection is beautiful, no question about it! With those of us putting kids through college, I'll have to wait until that's done to play with the toys you play with... Until then, my Merks will have to do!!!

JDA

One of Us
Picture of cal pappas
posted Hide Post
JDA:
I've never been a great money maker in my life, just a school teacher but one who saved and invested. Also, the five "No and/or never hads" as I like to say: no wife, no kids, no house payment, no car payment, no credit card payment. One of the investments as double rifles. Good return when ready to sell and it is a commodity one can have fun with whilst owning them! Can't do that with a painting or other artwork!
Until you kids graduate, feel free to join us up north for a double rifle shoot in May and/or June.
Cheers, gents.
Cal

Cal Pappas, Willow, Alaska
www.CalPappas.com
www.CalPappas.blogspot.com
1994 Zimbabwe
1997 Zimbabwe
1998 Zimbabwe
1999 Zimbabwe
1999 Namibia, Botswana, Zambia--vacation
2000 Australia
2002 South Africa
2003 South Africa
2003 Zimbabwe
2005 South Africa
2005 Zimbabwe
2006 Tanzania
2006 Zimbabwe--vacation
2007 Zimbabwe--vacation
2008 Zimbabwe
2012 Australia
2013 South Africa
2013 Zimbabwe
2013 Australia
2016 Zimbabwe
2017 Zimbabwe
2018 South Africa
2018 Zimbabwe--vacation
2019 South Africa
2019 Botswana
2019 Zimbabwe vacation
2021 South Africa
2021 South Africa (2nd hunt a month later)

Posts: 7281 | Location: Willow, Alaska | Registered: 29 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of JDA-CO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cal pappas:
JDA:
I've never been a great money maker in my life, just a school teacher but one who saved and invested. Also, the five "No and/or never hads" as I like to say: no wife, no kids, no house payment, no car payment, no credit card payment. One of the investments as double rifles. Good return when ready to sell and it is a commodity one can have fun with whilst owning them! Can't do that with a painting or other artwork!
Until you kids graduate, feel free to join us up north for a double rifle shoot in May and/or June.
Cheers, gents.
Cal

Cal - Thanks! I was born in Achorage and return there every other year, or so.

Was thinking about flying my Maule up there and spending a few weeks fishing. Talk about a blast!

JDA