Find
Notify
Tools

Double Rifle restock
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted
I was able to get into a Webley PHV1 400 3" for a very good price. The bores were very good , trouble was the gun needed to be restocked as it had a crack running from the top tang all the way through the left side of the grip. The crack had been repaired poorly and the wood had been refinished several times improperly.

With good bores the price was too good to pass on and I jumped on it. An opportunity to get a great rifle in a great caliber and have stock dimensions made to fit me. Decision time....who do I use to do the stock? I spoke with many people and got many opinions.

The only experience I had with having a gun restocked was a Fox Sterlingworth and I used a well known man who was priced very competitively and promised quick turntime. I got what I paid for...a low end job with quick turnaround. Everytime I use that gun I'm reminded of that. Funny, I don't use that gun much anymore.

My goals for the project were twofold, the stock needed to look original and I wanted a first class job. As I looked at examples of different stockers work I noticed some restocked double rifles done in the US have the American style of a fluted comb and pointed up checkering. I wanted it done in the English style as it was originally. I asked the question on the forums and looked at many examples and narrowed my choice down. In the end, I went with Paul Hodgins out of Logan Utah. Paul had worked at Holland's and came highly recommended.

It was interesting sifting through all the pictures of the blanks and I relied on Paul's opinions as to suitability of certain blanks for a Double Rifle. I chose one with good figure and contrast and sent in the check for the blank.

I received the gun last week and am very pleased with the job Paul did. The shaping,inletting and checkering are all first rate. I had Paul put on a leather pad as well. If I can figure how to post pictures I will.

Was it cheap? no. Was it worth it? yes. In then end, you get what you pay for. As a buddy of mine says, "You never get hurt buying premium". I hate to tell him he's right!

I would recommend Paul without hesitation.

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I love Pauls work. Hes a great guy too. I bought a lovely blank from him last year at what I consider a very fair price. Someday I hope my stock work looks nearly as good as Pauls. An excellent choice for a proper restock. So where are the pictures?
Steve

Posts: 3770 | Location: Boulder Colorado | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
470 Evans,

Great to hear that you are so happy with your double rifle and its new stock by Paul Hodgins.

Can you tell us how long the stocking took from when you selected the blank to when you received your rifle?

Thanks,

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
None of the good ones are fast. I've seen photos and it was worth the wait. Hodgins is good.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes but how slow in not fast?

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I believe he said about 14 months.
-----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 470Evans
posted Hide Post
14 months is correct. That was the hardest part, as my friends and wife can attest patience is not my strongest virtue!

Posts: 1311 | Location: Texas | Registered: 29 August 2006Reply With Quote