Find
Notify
Tools

Verney-Carron Rifles
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted
Guys, anyone here have a Verney-Carron double? If so, how do you like it?

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I know Wade Bale has a 600 that he loves. The first in the country, I believe. Also Don Soter either has one, or it's on order.

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Dave

I own a .577 and have a .500 on order. I believe them to be excellent values.

Unlike many of the other Continental makers, V-C will listen to your wants and needs.

Let me mention as well that the V-C guns have cleaned house at the Vintagers competition the last 2 years.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1706 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave,
Do a quick search. Not long ago they were discussed, and also there is at least one thread on NitroExpress.

The census seems to be that while few know anything at all about the make, those who do appreciate it as a high quality brand.

- Lars/Finland

A.k.a. Bwana One-Shot

Posts: 556 | Location: Finland | Registered: 07 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, Forget the VC rifles...they have conventional safeties. After you mastery of the Blaser system, you probably kill yourself with this one!!!

Posts: 20165 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dave, I have a VC 450/400 3" and it is a great double. Points and shoots great. For the $$, I truly believe it has to be one of the best values out there. Fit and finish is on par with way more expensive rifles. 2-3 years ago, these were sleepers...but they are rapidly making a name for themselves.
A gent who saw mine in Zambia in 2008 loved mine so much he came back and ordered one...had to...he shot from the wrong side of the stock.

Gary
DRSS
NRA Lifer
SCI
DSC

Posts: 1970 | Location: NE Georgia, USA | Registered: 21 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Antlers
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Dave, Forget the VC rifles...they have conventional safeties. After you mastery of the Blaser system, you probably kill yourself with this one!!!

yuck

Antlers
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Heym 450/400 3"

Posts: 1990 | Location: AL | Registered: 13 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:

Your right Biebs, I would probably shoot my foot off Wink

I am coming back to your neck of the woods in March. I hope you have a .577 by then so we can shoot it thumb

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dave, Let me know dates. JudgeG and I will be in Zim whacking management Eles for the first half of the month.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
I was just about to start this very discussion post. I bet Dave, like me, looked at the VC doubles at Reno and was favorably impressed, but not very familiar with the name.

I looked at a 500 NE two or three times and was very impressed with the fit and finish.

I am glad to hear the owners are pleased with their rifles.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Will, Was it Ken of Kebco at Reno, or the factory VC folks? Ken had 500, 577 and 600 NE at the DSC. Quite impressive, especially for the money.

One of Us
Picture of safari-lawyer
posted Hide Post
It was Ken. There were others in the booth, but I only met and talked to Ken.

Will J. Parks, III

Posts: 2989 | Location: Alabama USA | Registered: 09 July 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In addition to Ken, G. Verney-Carron was there as well as one of the gunmakers from France. The latter gentleman was taking stock measurements of clients.

They did not attend the SHOT show this year.

Posts: 1132 | Location: Land of Lincoln | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote