New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3 x 74 case life
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
About how many reloads are you guys getting from your 9.3 x 74 brass?

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
On #5 on some rws and ain't done yet. How many do you get?

Posts: 17173 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Depends, with Norma only one or two. Once I use up the Norma cases on hand I'll never buy anymore.
With RWS and Hornady I toss them after five. They might last longer but I am ok with 5.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BayouBob:
About how many reloads are you guys getting from your 9.3 x 74 brass?

quote:
Originally posted by dpcd:
On #5 on some rws and ain't done yet. How many do you get?

dpcd is right RWS is very good brass, but is heavy, so when working up new loads start low because of the smaller case capacity!

Many here have had a lot of case head separations with NORMA brass in 9.3X74R brass. However I have used NORMA brass for years with hot hand-loads in things like very hot 243 Win (60,000 PSI chamber pressure )without any head separations. I believe this is because after the first firing, the case is fire formed to my chamber, or chambers. I then only neck size the brass then make sure all the rounds fit in the chamber or chambers of my rifles. I have some NORMA brass that has had many, many hot loads and still no indication of a head separation.

BB what brass are you using?
................................................................. Confused

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
Depends, with Norma only one or two. Once I use up the Norma cases on hand I'll never buy anymore.
With RWS and Hornady I toss them after five. They might last longer but I am ok with 5.

I read that after we got our brass that was weak they improved them about a year later. But the Hornady stuff I have is still going well after 6+ loadings.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I hear ya Mike. Norma might be better now but I am so happy with the Hornady brass there is just no reason to go back to Norma again unless it was half price of Hornady.

I might just keep a box of Hornadys for range use only and load them till they split to see how long they will last.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6638 | Location: Moving back to Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Norma brass I have is the variety they made on the Norma production line up until 2 years ago. It is so thin in the case head area that some of it separates on the 1st or 2nd reload. Norma 9.3 brass is now RWS 9.3 brass but I haven't been able to get my hands on any of it yet. With Hornady brass I get 2 or 3 reloads before I start getting separations. I neck size only,to the point that I have a tiny secondary shoulder on my brass. Most of my rifles get 5 or more reloads without any problem but my Chapuis seems to have a pretty generous chamber.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

Posts: 231 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 05 August 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
My favorite is RWS followed by Hornady!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
Partial sizing fireformed cases lengthens case life considerably. I have an ample supply of Norma cases and dump them after 3 firings. I experienced a (FL sized) case separation some décades ago and do not wish to repeat the operation (the gunsmith had to resort to a chamber reamer to extract the stuck headless case.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, there were no loading manual available for 9.3x74R useing common powders available in the US, so i proceeded to make one up.

I loaded "one" of the only two 9.3 bbl. set's in the US, for Valmet 412's, and shot over a thousand rounds testing loads. I loaded RWS brass 10+ times without looseing even one case.

I wish i still had one of those manuals, i don't think i even kept one for myself! Frowner

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DM:
Many years ago, there were no loading manual available for 9.3x74R useing common powders available in the US, so i proceeded to make one up.

I loaded "one" of the only two 9.3 bbl. set's in the US, for Valmet 412's, and shot over a thousand rounds testing loads. I loaded RWS brass 10+ times without looseing even one case.

I wish i still had one of those manuals, i don't think i even kept one for myself! Frowner

DM

I think you are so well grounded on reloading this cartridge because it is low pressure and doesn't have to be crimped. The brass goes along way with this cartridge.

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
I've had and reloaded for 5 9.3x74r's. Some Valmets a Chapuis and a Ruger No 1. I used Norma,and RWS brass. Predominately Norma as it was the most plentiful. Had many many incipient separations and one actual with Norma brass. Never had a problem with RWS brass at all. 2 reloads was absolute max with Norma, usually 5+ with RWS. The funny thing was I had an 8x60R double (an Otto Geyger) and made the brass from 9.3x74r brass using RCBS dies and neck reamer. I had cracks and potential separations with that also after one reload. Basically why I sold the rifle ,which I had scoped, and was supremely accurate and nicely engraved. Fit like the proverbial glove. Norma was about all I could find then. Basically the only Norma brass I have ever used.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had good results using Norma brass. I've got two boxes of "user" brass that are on now their 7th reload and still doing exactly what I want for practice. Those do not show any signs of failure yet and I'll keep shooting them until they do.

I have two other boxes that were on their second loading for my last Zimbabwe trip a couple of years ago and I'll start using them in the practice mode as I get ready for a May 2014 trip. I think I'll thoroughly mix the four pounds of I4350 I have from the same lot from two years ago and lean on my earlier hunting brass for practice until I load up a couple of once fired boxes for actual hunting... The trip loads will mostly be 286 gr Woodleigh PPs with 10 NF flat point solids "just in case". Last time the NF FPSs regulated with about 2gn less I4350 than the Woodleigh PPs.

It'll be interesting to see how many loads I get out of the Normas...

Good hunting,

Posts: 402 | Location: Houston | Registered: 09 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Emory, What rifle are you shooting in 9.3x74?

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's an early William Evans box lock ejector that is nice and trim - 1911 if I recall correctly. Very fine workmanship and wood, and obviously converted from a 360 to it's current 9.3x74 configuration at some time in its history.

I had JJ put claw mounts on it about 5 years ago and it is very accurate with either iron sights or a light 1.5x5 Leupold. If I had to get down to just one rifle, this would probably be it...

Good hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wonder if that is a Paul Roberts conversion ?

Previously 500N with many thousands of posts !

Posts: 1815 | Location: Australia | Registered: 16 January 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If I had to bet, Paul Roberts would be where I placed my money.

I went down to his shop to visit a few times when we lived in London. Didn't pick up this rifle until a couple of years later, but I am rather confident that I know who owned it for most of its life. In any case, it is in excellent condition and I've probably shot it more than the total of it's prior history.

Good hunting,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it has London or Birmingham proof marks,
then it is almost certainly Paul Robert's.

He did some great work on those guns.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, I just opened the safe to check and it certainly has proof marks and the 9.3x74mm designation. There's a crown and three other marks for each barrel. It also says 3900 bar on each. No indication of prior chambering anywhere. Engraving on one barrel says 9.3x74 and the other indicates "from Purdey".

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Might have been originally in 9.3 since the cartridge has been around since about the beginning of the 20th century. Sounds like it must have good tight chambers if you get that kind of case life.

NRA Endowment Member
DRSS

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Emory:
Well, I just opened the safe to check and it certainly has proof marks and the 9.3x74mm designation. There's a crown and three other marks for each barrel. It also says 3900 bar on each. No indication of prior chambering anywhere. Engraving on one barrel says 9.3x74 and the other indicates "from Purdey".

3900 bar is a modern proof mark.

Unless of course your gun was a modern made one
which you have already said it is not "1911 if I recall correctly".

one of us
posted Hide Post
I too very much like the RWS brass in a Chapuis. Loading more than 5. Bought a bunch of once fired through eBay before they stopped it several years ago.

I seem to remember that the older Norma was pretty thin. Newer Norma heavier. RWS about the same as the heaviest Norma if I remember correctly.

Didn't need to buy more brass when the Hornady became available so no experience with it.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
A little off topic but what brand/type of dies are you guys using?
I picked up a Krieghoff Classic when stationed in Germany for an awesome price and have shot a couple of deer with it but other things came up in life and it was stuck in the safe until this fall. I have a decent supply of RWS, Norma, and Hornady brass but I never got around to ordering dies.

Posts: 153 | Location: God's country Northern Minnesota | Registered: 29 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
RCBS dies in my case. I'm also using Hornady brass. I've got 9 loads on my first set of brass currently and haven't had issue other than a single case separating on the very first loading back when I first got the rifle. A Chapuis UGEX.

I'm shooting 255gr CEB Non-Cons and 285gr CEB solids in mine over 53grs of IMR 4064.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RCBS here

DM

Posts: 696 | Location: Upper Midwest, USA | Registered: 07 February 2007Reply With Quote