New
Find
Notify
Tools

Whats the difference?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
In looking at doubles what is the difference in the various manufactures? merkel, krieghoff, chapuis, heym, vc etc.

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lots of dollars?

Karl Evans

Posts: 2904 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
good point. Big Grin

Posts: 167 | Location: Mckinney, TX | Registered: 15 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
I'm not really sure where to begin with that question! Different mechanics, appearance, feel, level of finish, etc. I think all you mentioned are quality guns, just too many differences to describe. Some major, some minor.

For example, one thing about the Merkel and K Gun are the shape of the stock. The Merkel has a lot of drop at the heel whereas the K-Gun has a really straight stock. This tends to make the Merkel have a higher perceived recoil IMO.

If interested in purchasing one, the best bet is to establish a budget, then spend as much time as possible with the different models in hand, try to arrange to shoot a few, and formulate some specific questions after getting familiar with them. Lots of guys here with experience on the different makes and models.

Enjoy your search for the right one!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tx, I'd recommend getting a name-brand used double to start. Until you use one for a while and develop your individual likes and dislikes, you shouldn't spend a ton on a double. When you have it worked out, you can sell or trade your first one without taking a bath.

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tex,
Consider a Searcy. Well made and you will find the stocks a bit more comfortable. US made. Not many second hand ones.
http://www.searcyent.com/

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Memphis, TN | Registered: 25 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Spend some time on here and look thru some of the old discussions about the different brands and their merits.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Tx, I'd recommend getting a name-brand used double to start. Until you use one for a while and develop your individual likes and dislikes, you shouldn't spend a ton on a double. When you have it worked out, you can sell or trade your first one without taking a bath.

Good advice right there!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Good advice right there!

Said by a taker of many baths!!!

Posts: 20163 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Tex308 what is your largest chambering today, and have you shot some very large chamberings to any degree?

The reason I ask this is because I hve found when a guy wants his first double rifle he tends to buy too large. This,in my opinion, is a real mistake on two levels.

First the recoil being heavy, and the ammo being very expensive, one tends to not shoot the rifle enough to learn how to properly use a double rifle. This causes many to decide double rifles are not for him, and go back to his bolt rifle in disgust. My reccomendation is to find a good used Merkel, or Chapuis double rifle chambered for 9.3X74R. That chambering is easily managable and will handle anything that walks the Nort American contenant. Yet is cheap enough to shoot a lot, and is not only fine for North America, but is also a fine companion rifle for the larger chambering double you will buy later, and is capable of finishing a safari if something goes wrong with your big double.

A couple of years hunting everything from jack rabbit to grizzly with that double the move to a 470NE or a 500NE will be a natural, and most will not want to get rid of the 9.3!

One of the best ideas you have had so far is coming to AR before you jump into the double rifle whirl pool!

................................................................ BOOM...............................

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
mac i have just recently booked my firs safari Spending less on one of the 9.74's sound like a good idea. In looking i like the looks of the merkels and chapuis. Primarily since i can get one with engraving on it, in the price range i am looking to spend. I plan on giving bigguy a call in the near future to meet up with him to shoot some of his big bores. Up to this point the biggest thing i have ever shot is a 300 wsm.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Josh: I sent you a PM, come on down and shoot, I talked to Dr Scott and he will bting his Chapuis 9.3x74 and you can shoot it too. The DSC big bore shoot is April 28 and it is in your neighborhood (Texas Pistol Academy in Whitewright) there will be Heym and Kreighoff doubles you can try out and if you want to participate I'll bring a big bore you can shoot.

Karl Evans

Posts: 2904 | Location: Emhouse, Tx | Registered: 03 February 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I will bring the 9.3x74r Chapuis and the Sabatti 470 and the 416 Rem Mag. Those 3 along with all Karls big bores should give you a wide variety of big bore experience.

Posts: 308 | Location: Dallas,Texas | Registered: 11 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks alot guys, Im looking forward to the shoot. It will give a chance to check out that school as well. Was thinking of taking the shooting school with my wife.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if there are ever any double rifle get togethers here in the northern California area around San Francisco (they haven't banned doubles here, yet). If not, I'll stir one up in a year or so when I get my first.

Posts: 156 | Location: Preferably in the woods with my Verney-Carron .450/400 NE double rifle | Registered: 07 January 2011Reply With Quote