THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    SHOOTING the BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE by Graeme Wright
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SHOOTING the BRITISH DOUBLE RIFLE by Graeme Wright
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted
Does anyone know where I can purchase a copy of this book? I have searched all over the web and am finding it is out of stock everywhere or it has been discontinued.
Thanks
Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of walksfar
posted Hide Post
Got mine from Buffalo Arms.
Not sure they'll have it in stock now though, although you might check them, they have some good books.

"Faith in God and the Mauser"

DRSS-MEMBER

Posts: 129 | Location: East Texas | Registered: 05 September 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Huntingtons.

Volume 1 and 2, volume 2 is the best of the two.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 577NitroExpress
posted Hide Post
http://www.huntingtons.com/books.html

577NitroExpress
Double Rifle Shooters Society
Francotte .470 Nitro Express

If stupidity hurt, a lot of people would be walking around screaming...

Posts: 2789 | Location: Bucks County, Pennsylvania | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have the second edition (vol 2) at $46.00

in stock & ready to ship

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tomo577:
i have the second edition (vol 2) at $46.00

in stock & ready to ship

PM sent.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Thanks,
Mac

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
Part# 800, at HDS $32.98

Worth every penny! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
MAC,

WHEN WE DON'T HAVE THEM OURS ARE ONLY $5.00

TOMO577

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
we still have 4 or 5 copies of the second edition available

TOMO577

One of Us
Picture of Chris E Nelson
posted Hide Post
Tomo577- Would like a copy!! Please PM with details. Thanks Chris

Posts: 153 | Location: Montana USA | Registered: 18 January 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks Tomo577...mine came in the mail on Monday...great reading. Hope these guys get one before you run out. I remember the scene when the copies of Alexander Gray's book "The Hammerless Double Rifle" ran out...current asking price around $800 when one turns up for sale these days. Glad I got mine autographed waaaay back when for $45.

Rich
DRSS

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The gentleman at Huntington's told me that the author is working on a new, updated edition. He hopes to have the new edition in stock within a few months.

I haven't seen either the first edition or second edition of this book, so I don't know whether it would be worth waiting for an update. Any thoughts from those of you who have read the book(s)on whether I should wait or grab one now? How complete in your mind is the 2nd ed.?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KM5LA:
The gentleman at Huntington's told me that the author is working on a new, updated edition. He hopes to have the new edition in stock within a few months.

I haven't seen either the first edition or second edition of this book, so I don't know whether it would be worth waiting for an update. Any thoughts from those of you who have read the book(s)on whether I should wait or grab one now? How complete in your mind is the 2nd ed.?

I thought so much of it that I gave my copy away.
----------------------------------------------
"Serious rifles have two barrels, everything else just burns gunpowder."

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Steve
posted Hide Post

Why?

-Steve

--------

www.zonedar.com

If you can't be a good example, be a horrible warning
DRSS C&H 475 NE
--------

Posts: 2781 | Location: Hillsboro, Or-Y-Gun (Oregon), U.S.A. | Registered: 22 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve:

Why?

-Steve

While I appreciate Wright's efforts, for a number of reasons, I just didn't find the information useful. Wright himself states that the book isn't a reloading manual, which it certainly isn't. Overall, I found the data pretty sparse, and a number of fairly popular flanged nitros are omitted entirely.

What I found most disappointing is that he ignores current CIP standards and testing protocols for these cartridges - which is the testing that needs to be done. The British standardized all of these flanged nitros a century ago in their base crusher guns - a methodology that no one else in the world ever used (and thus never understood), which isn't convertible to modern piezo values, and which Britain hasn't used since joining CIP in 1980, by which time this ammunition was no longer being manufactured in Britain. It would have been much more valuable to have tested both the handloads and original late run Kynoch Cordite (which remains readily available in many calibers) in current CIP spec piezo guns, as that is the much superior technology in use today, rather than testing the handloads in the old base crusher guns and presenting the mixed data that he did.

Posts: 1742 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
Thanks TOMO, I recieved my books today.

Mac

Mac

One of Us
posted Hide Post
GRAEME WRIGHT IS WORKING ON A REVISED EDITION THAT HE HOPES TO HAVE TO THE PRINTER BY THE END OF THE YEAR.

ANYONE NEEDING LOADING INFO CAN GET IT FROM THE GURU ON THIS FORUM

TOMO577

One Of Us
posted Hide Post
Hammerless Double Rifle...AH ComeOn...that one ain't worth $800...?? I have one sitting here and that's what is does, sit...gave another copy away for a 50th birthday present to a friend that doesn't even have a double!! WOW, nice guy wasn't I...guess I better tell him...

470EDDY

Posts: 2677 | Location: The Other Washington | Registered: 24 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
tomo577,
Any copies left? I would like one. How do you need payment?

Thanks,
mk

PM Sent

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 400 Nitro Express:
[QUOTE]

What I found most disappointing is that he ignores current CIP standards and testing protocols for these cartridges - which is the testing that needs to be done. The British standardized all of these flanged nitros a century ago in their base crusher guns - a methodology that no one else in the world ever used (and thus never understood), which isn't convertible to modern piezo values, and which Britain hasn't used since joining CIP in 1980, by which time this ammunition was no longer being manufactured in Britain. It would have been much more valuable to have tested both the handloads and original late run Kynoch Cordite (which remains readily available in many calibers) in current CIP spec piezo guns, as that is the much superior technology in use today, rather than testing the handloads in the old base crusher guns and presenting the mixed data that he did.

400, are you sure we are talking about the same book? In the copy I have, second edition, chapter twelve is devoted to pressure testing of twenty-three tests by the Birmingham Proof House which the author had done in 1989. Aren't these done under CIP protocols? Then, in the 90's he had furthur tests done by both Kynamco and the Birmingham Proof House.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote