New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x65R
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Am considering buying a Chapuis UGEX in this caliber to use for hunting whitetails in the timber. Any one own this caliber and use it for hunting deer or similar size critters?
Appreciate any input you may have.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Must be spot on for that purpose. This caliber is very popular and much used in the woods for deer and moose in Europe - especially in combined rifles ( one rifle barrel and one shotgun barrel )

Another caliber - the 8x57R and even the 7x65R are popular even though the 7x65R is somewhat more speedy than the others.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Edited my post as I meant to ask about the 7x65R as Chapuis does not offer the UGEX in 7x57R

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I once owned a Merkel 140A in 7x65R. Very handy little DR that was accurate and made for great whitetail, pig, and even elk round with the right bullet. Very popular in Europe. Good choice

JP Sauer Drilling 12x12x9.3x72
David Murray Scottish Hammer 12 Bore
Alex Henry 500/450 Double Rifle
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock 6.5x55
Steyr Classic Mannlicher Fullstock .30-06
Walther PPQ H2 9mm
Walther PPS M2
Cogswell & Harrison Hammer 12 Bore Damascus
And Too Many More

Posts: 1857 | Location: Chattanooga, TN | Registered: 10 August 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I made that choice 2 years ago for my Chapuis, and I opted for the 8mm; at those short ranges, I wanted a 195 grain bullet, not the more velocity of the 7mm; my rationale for the 8. Which seems to be more popular.

Posts: 17288 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've had a 7x65R drilling for a number of years. Pretty good stuff. My thoughts are that it's real similar to a 270 or a rimmed 280 on whitetails. It doesn't recoil; in my drilling, it is quite accurate; there is plenty of ammo available, and lots of bullet sizes. Shoots pretty flat, but I've never shot any deer at over a hundred yards with it.
More important, does it make your socks go up and down? If it does, go for it.
Bfly

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input. Is brass easy to find for this round?
If it isn't, I could buy ammo then reload but prefer to reload.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would have bought the 8x57R before the 7x65R when hunting in the woods. Heavier bullet and slower velocity - but if shooting distances over 165-220 yards maybe the 7x65R could be first priority.

Norma sells brass for 7x57R, 7x65R and 8x57R.

Morten

The more I know, the less I wonder !

Posts: 1143 | Location: Oslo area, Norway | Registered: 26 June 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The 7x65R is the rimmed twin of the 7x64. Ballistics are comparable to the .280 Rem but the European 7's twist allow heavier bullets. Both '64 and '65R are among the most popular calibers in continental Europe.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
All my hunting is under 200 yards which is why I chose the 8mm; if it was a bolt action for longer ranges, I would have chosen the 7mm, but not for my application. 8x57JRS brass and ammo seems easier to get, as are dies (same as 8x57) so are quite common. Bullet selection for 8mm is less, but in a DR, you are usually stuck with one weight anyway, and I like the 195 grain. It doesn't kick either. Not so you notice anyway. And, in an emergency (I mean a real one, like a Zombie invasion) , you can make brass out of regular 30-06 or 8mm.

One of Us
Picture of McKay
posted Hide Post
I have one in a drilling and a Ralf Martini single. Like the others say if you are good with 280 ballistics then you should be good to go!

Mac

Posts: 1747 | Location: Salt Lake City, UT | Registered: 01 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McKay:
Like the others say if you are good with 280 ballistics then you should be good to go!

Sounds like a perfect choice for whitetails and with hardly any recoil to boot.
Thanks for the input.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
As I am still in the tire kicking stage might as well ask. Does anyone else besides Chapuis make a left hand SxS double in this caliber (with the left trigger in front) for about the same price of the UGEX?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Not that I know of. Chapuis is the only maker I know with these features, and so responsive to custom orders.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had a drilling and still own a Valmet combo in 7X65R. At the ranges I can use a double rifle, I would prefer the 8X57IRS because of that wonderful 200 grain bullet. At longer ranges I use a bolt gun usually in 30/06 or 300 Win.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dear all,

am using my Krieghoff Hubertus in 7x65R since 10 years ago. Very happy with it, also on Scottish stags (app. 100 kg).
a little too tough on roe deer (<30 kg).
with light bullets usable up to 200+ m.
for a light rifle and for shorter distances: 7x57R would be more comfortable to shoot.
good luck with your choice.

Horrido!

Posts: 49 | Location: Germany | Registered: 06 June 2009Reply With Quote