Find
Notify
Tools

Merkel vs. Chapuis in 9.3
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Bill/Oregon
posted
What are the good and bad points of these two makes if you had to pick one over the other? And I hear Merkel made 9.3s on both a 28- and a 20-gauge frame; which is preferable?

There is hope, even when your brain tells you there isn’t.
– John Green, author

Posts: 16651 | Location: Sweetwater, TX | Registered: 03 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
Can't really give you an informed opinion on the Merkel 9.3 as I have never owned or handled one. I owned a Chapuis 9.3 in the UGEX and have nothing but praise for it except the recoil. I removed the filler blocks from the rib and had an old Ruger rib cut in sections and fitted so I could use Ruger rings. Used the original tapped holes so it could be returned to original if desired. Best feeling and handling double I've ever owned. I have a new Merkel 141 in 8x57JRS that I like very much. Have only fired it a couple of times and have yet to really check it out. It's basically equivalent to the Chapuis in as much as both were light with 21" barrels. The Merkel is a European model with humpback stock,single non-selective trigger and ejectors, the Chapuis had extractors and double triggers and a conventional buttstock. They both had/have beavertail forearms. The Chapuis had a bead front sight and the unusual but nice flourescent insert rear, The Merkel has the standard square notch rear and a flourescent patridge front blade. I would be hard pressed to pick one over the other if they were side by side, but I THINK I'm leaning toward the Merkel. Of course that may be because that's what I have now and it's new. I think you could hardly go wrong with either one.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bill
I have handled and shot the Merkel on the 20 ga frame a few times, and I have used a Chapuis for several years.

My advice to you would be to handle all 3, and shoot all 3 if posible, and chose the one YOU like the best. I would definately recommend you scope which ever one you get.

I also recommend you get a 9,3x74R double, as I feel it is one of the beat hunting rifles on the planet, not just for Africa, but for much of the game here in the states as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
keep your eyes on the forums and classifieds. there are some super prices on merkels @ $4,600 on the new 28 ga frame in the classifieds and the double rifle forum.

and there is a rumble starting about another group buy of chapius -MAYBE for around $4,000

TOMO577
DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 1144 | Location: west of erie, pa | Registered: 15 September 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The greatest advantage of the Merkel 141 is this, that you can regulate the barrels with a screw-drewer! No problem to change the bullets etc., I saw one at my gunsmith in action ( in 8x57IRS), no problem to change from TIG to Norma-Alaska!
But I think, in 9,3x74R the little 141 could be a little light!

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of zimbabwe
posted Hide Post
My NEW in box Merkel 141E 8x57jrs does NOT have adjustable barrels. It has the conventional protruding wedge between the barrels at muzzle. The other 141 my dealer has is the same. Must be two versions of this rifle available.

SCI Life Member
NRA Patron Life Member
DRSS

Posts: 2786 | Location: Green Valley,Az | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
In Germany at the grear dealers you get only the Mod.141 with adjustable barrels for around 4.500 Euros. Same with Mod. 161(sidelocks).
The bigger Mod. 140 or 160( cal. 20 frame) has no adjustable barrels.

Posts: 561 | Location: northern Germany | Registered: 26 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bill, just bought a Chapuis 9.3x74R (should be in next month) and the two guns I checked out were the Merkel and the Chapuis. I chose the Chapuis over the Merkle and here are the reasons.

I am Left-handed and the Chapuis folk were more flexable with making me a custom rifle. They put me on a Lt. handed cheek piece and bent the triggers for a left handed shooter. Also, they put on a 1 inch decelerator pad to my length of pull (14.75 inches) NO EXTRA CHARGE, you'll get no pad with the Merkle. Merkle would not do the Lt. handed cheek piece without charging me extra and they would not bend the triggers. Also Chapuis has 24 inch barrels which I prefer to the 21.6 inch Merkle barrels. Also Chapuis will regulate my gun to my load and bullet selection which I chose 300 grain Swift bullets.

The one big plus with the Merkle is the self regulating block but with the Chapuis folk regulating my gun to my personal load it was a no brainer. The one negative of the Chapuis that I did not like was the light weight which runs around 7 pounds BUT they are going to pick a heavier piece of walnut for me and make the gun around 7.75-8 pounds, they are also regulating my gun with the scope I sent them which was a 1.75x6 VXIII Leupold, again they are willing to customize my gun a lot more than Merkle will without the extra charges.

I'm not against the Merkle at all, I have a 30-06 caliber 141.0 that I dearly love and it shoots 1.25 inch groups at 100 meters w/scope. But, I had to spend an extra eight hundred dollars bending the stock, pad, refinishing the gun, work on the triggers, and disengage automatic safety function, etc.

Get a hold of Chris Sells with Double gun Imports with the ejectors on my 9.3 rifle was around 5,500 dollars WITH the Recknagle QD mounts, etc.

"An individual with experience is never at the mercies of an individual with an argument"

Posts: 1827 | Location: Palmer AK & Prescott Valley AZ | Registered: 01 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Brain1
posted Hide Post
My 9.3 Merkel has the adjustments and is very accurate. It is a little light for caliber, but with a recoil pad fitted to it is very fun to shoot.

You can borrow money, but you can't borrow time. Don't wait, go now.
Savannah Safaris Namibia
Otjitambi Trails & Safaris
DRSS
NRA
SCI
DSC
TSRA
TMPA

Posts: 1265 | Location: Bridgeport, Tx | Registered: 20 May 2005Reply With Quote