New
Find
Notify
Tools

Damn! I love my 500NE
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
In a previous thread (Tradition, Beauty and Technology) I presented my new addition, a Blaser S2 in 500 NE. Using the same load that did well at 50 yards (93 grains RL15 and 570 grain Hornady DGX), I loaded up 4 rounds and shot them at 100 yards, no sight adjustment.
Right barrel:

Left barrel:

This thing just shoots!
Peter.

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
What velocities are you getting? For me to get 2000 fps plus in any of my .500's it is taking 96-99 grains of RL15.

Mike

Posts: 21340 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike, unknown at this time as my chrono is on the fritz. If you see the post I mentioned, I stopped at 93 because the bullets looked like they were getting closer and about to cross, and I did NOT want to have MacD37 ragging me about THAT!!!
The 100yard target shows that this was not happening. So, I was getting the regulation I wanted. Next step is the chrono. So, the question is: Is the extra 150 fps worth worrying about? To me, if I lose regulation, then no, but I am interested in your thoughts. So far, every round that I have fired through my Blaser has been posted on AR, so, I have put maybe 30 rounds through it, and what I like, is that while some are clearly more accurate than others, it does not seem that sensitive to the powder charge ie. all at a pinch, are keepers!
I will keep you posted on my velocity measurements after I send it back to Chrony.
Peter.
PS. I would assume that the velocities with the NF FPS bullets would be greater than the Hornady DGX bullets using the same powder charge?

Be without fear in the face of your enemies. Be brave and upright, that God may love thee. Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death. Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong;

Posts: 10514 | Location: Jacksonville, Florida | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Peter:
Mike, unknown at this time as my chrono is on the fritz. If you see the post I mentioned, I stopped at 93 because the bullets looked like they were getting closer and about to cross, and I did NOT want to have MacD37 ragging me about THAT!!!

jumping jumping jumping BOOM............ diggin

Peter that old ugly rifle is shooting pretty well, Congratulations! beer

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MJines:
What velocities are you getting? For me to get 2000 fps plus in any of my .500's it is taking 96-99 grains of RL15.

Mike

When I was working with the 500N, I also stopped at 93/RE15 with Barnes and other monos. With the decreased case capacity of a mono, 93 gives Hornady factory pressures and velocities. With conventionals, I did go up to 95-96 grains RE15. 99 would be way too hot for me.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I will post the velocities I am getting later. But I have found that to get close to 2100 fps with Woodleigh softs and solids, depending on the lot of RL15 that you are working with, it will take between 96 and 99 grains. I had a .500 at the range on Saturday (probably mid-50's temperature wise) and with 98.5 grains of RL15, a F215M primer, 570 Woodleigh SN and Hornady case (no filler), I was getting just over 2000 fps.

Mike

Posts: 21340 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Interesting thread and one that made me pull out the old reloading notes from my days of having a 500-3".
My notes indicate that I was using 94grs R15 with the 570gr Woodleighs, velocity was 2130fps. This load achieved perfect regulation in my rifle.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just a difference in rifles I guess Mike. Just goes to show just how useless/dangerous taking someone elses loads for granted is. Obviously your velocities indicate that you have no pressure concerns.

Posts: 437 | Location: WY | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Will
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by John S:
Interesting thread and one that made me pull out the old reloading notes from my days of having a 500-3".
My notes indicate that I was using 94grs R15 with the 570gr Woodleighs, velocity was 2130fps. This load achieved perfect regulation in my rifle.

Yeah, what's the point of having a 500 if the velocity is at 2000 fps or lower?

-------------------------------
Will Stewart / Once you've been amongst them, there is no such thing as too much gun.
---------------------------------------
and, God Bless John Wayne.

NRA Benefactor Member, GOA, N.A.G.R.

"Elephant and Elephant Guns" $99 shipped
“Hunting Africa's Dangerous Game" $20 shipped.

red.dirt.elephant@gmail.com

Hoping to wind up where elephant hunters go.

Posts: 19327 | Location: Ocala Flats | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dave Bush
posted Hide Post
Yippee! Another Blaser shooter!

Dave
DRSS
Chapuis 9.3X74
Chapuis "Jungle" .375 FL
Krieghoff 500/.416 NE
Krieghoff 500 NE

"Git as close as y can laddie an then git ten yards closer"

"If the biggest, baddest animals on the planet are on the menu, and you'd rather pay a taxidermist than a mortician, consider the 500 NE as the last word in life insurance." Hornady Handbook of Cartridge Reloading (8th Edition).

Posts: 3728 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 26 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I resurrected this thread because MJines questioned the velocities I was getting with my "regulation" load. They were around 2000 fps (slightly less) with the 93 grain RL15 load. Yesterday I tried 96 grains of RL15 with the Hornady bullets and got 2074 fps. For convenience I shot it at 100 yards and have no idea whether they crossed or not. Just trying to see what it would take. Looks like my numbers square with Mike's.
Peter.

One of Us
Picture of DoubleDon
posted Hide Post
Regulation load for my V-C .500 w/25 1/2" bbls.:

95 gr. RL15 w/570 gr. Woodleigh soft
94 gr. RL15 w/570 gr. Woodleigh FMJ

Both yield 2100 +- instrument velocity.

Deo Vindice,

Don

Sons of Confederate Veterans Black Horse Camp #780

Posts: 1697 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 01 February 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Regulation load in my Merkel .500 with my particular lot of Reloader 15 is 96 grains with 1 grain of polyfill, Federal 215 primer, Woodleigh 570 grain soft and solid, and it's yielding almost 2200 fps.

Posts: 138 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 13 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ledvm
posted Hide Post
96 gr of R-15 and NF FPS get me ~2125 fps consistently.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
J. Lane Easter, DVM

A born Texan has instilled in his system a mind-set of no retreat or no surrender. I wish everyone the world over had the dominating spirit that motivates Texans.– Billy Clayton, Speaker of the Texas House

No state commands such fierce pride and loyalty. Lesser mortals are pitied for their misfortune in not being born in Texas.— Queen Elizabeth II on her visit to Texas in May, 1991.

Posts: 36799 | Location: Gainesville, TX | Registered: 24 December 2006Reply With Quote