THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM DOUBLE RIFLES FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Double Rifles    Why aren't smaller caliber doubles made like the DG rifles?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why aren't smaller caliber doubles made like the DG rifles?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
After looking at a lot of 9.3x74R rifles on line, I find all of them to be over-and-unders and not side-by-sides. They also cock manually on the tang.

Why aren't the smaller caliber rifles made like their bigger cousins? And, why don't you see an O/U DG rifle in the large calibers? Do the heavy barrels handle badly in an O/U configuration?

Thanks!
Sid

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I bought a Merkel SxS in 8mm JRS and it looks and works just like the 470 NE.....I don't know about other brands......................JJ

" venator ferae bestiae et aquae vitae "

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Look at some of the sales/auction sites. There are lots of SXS's in 9.3.

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I'm looking for an 8X57R, my ownself! Got to shoot Rojovin's little rifle and it was a delight!

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
O/U configuration takes longer to reload as the barrels need to be swung open wider.
Cheers...
Con

Posts: 2198 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Charles_Helm
posted Hide Post
You do see O/U in the larger calibers (at least .458 and the occasional .470) at times but they are not as popular as mentioned above.

Posts: 8773 | Location: Republic of Texas | Registered: 24 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For smaller calibre SxS's take a look at Chapuis, Merkel, Siace. I'm sure there are others, but these come right to mind.

JPK

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post

That looks like a Merkel 140E side by side to me! Big Grin

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone!

I missed the Chaupis but, found them on the French website. I totally missed the Heym 140E.

Best Regards,
Sid

All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
Alexis de Tocqueville

The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.
Alexis de Tocqueville

Posts: 602 | Location: East Texas, USA | Registered: 16 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sid Post:
Thanks everyone!

I missed the Chaupis but, found them on the French website. I totally missed the Heym 140E.

That would be the MERKEL 140E.

Free 500grains

Posts: 4900 | Location: Chevy Chase, Md. | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mouse93
posted Hide Post
Guys - chek this one - 1910, Roux - 6,5x52R (~ .25-35 WCF):

http://www.egun.de/market/item.php?id=1985647

Posts: 2028 | Location: Slovenia | Registered: 28 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
I bought a J.P. Sauer in 8X60RS SXS that is just a scaled-down version of the big express rifles....

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JPK:

That would be the MERKEL 140E.

homer Freudian slip Smiler

Best Regards,
Sid

Alexis de Tocqueville

Alexis de Tocqueville

One of Us
Picture of Wink
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons they aren't made identically is weight. I once looked at a nicely priced Merkel in 8 X 57 JRS but found it too heavy.

AR, where the hopeless, hysterical hypochondriacs of history become the nattering nabobs of negativisim.

Posts: 7046 | Location: Rambouillet, France | Registered: 25 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Non dangerous game rifles will always tend toward the O/U and dangerous game rifles will always tend toward the SxS. First shot recoil recovery and the speed of the second shot will always favor the O/U. So a deer or elk hunter is better served by a 7x65R O/U. The second shot will be a split second faster and by the time he can load ANY double the animal will be in the next county anyway. That being said, I prefer SxS aesthetics and will live with my self imposed handicap if I ever get a small bore double.

For dangerous game that may soak up 2 fatal shots and still have enough life to come and discuss matters with you puts a premium on getting beyond that 2nd shot as fast as possible. So most will opt for a SxS for dangerous game.

When reloading speed doesn't matter, the O/U has the advantage. When was the last time you saw a serious competitor use a SxS for skeet or trap competition?

The same smaller required opening angle that makes SxS faster to load also makes them easy to load in a cramped blind. So many favor SxS in a duck blind.

Posts: 259 | Location: Texas | Registered: 07 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MacD37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brazos Jack:
Non dangerous game rifles will always tend toward the O/U and dangerous game rifles will always tend toward the SxS. First shot recoil recovery and the speed of the second shot will always favor the O/U. So a deer or elk hunter is better served by a 7x65R O/U. The second shot will be a split second faster and by the time he can load ANY double the animal will be in the next county anyway. That being said, I prefer SxS aesthetics and will live with my self imposed handicap if I ever get a small bore double.

If you put two rounds into a deer, or elk, from a 7X65R and he makes to to the next county before you can reload with any double rifle, you don't shoot very well. This simply does not apply! ....And what makes you think the O/U will be faster for the second shot over a S/S double? That is simply not true!

quote:
For dangerous game that may soak up 2 fatal shots and still have enough life to come and discuss matters with you puts a premium on getting beyond that 2nd shot as fast as possible. So most will opt for a SxS for dangerous game.

However if you put two in a Buffalo at close range, and as usual it doesn't do the trick, you will need to reload whether he runs or comes to you. This also applies to the deer & elk if you don't get the job done with the first two. With the deer & elk, however it will likely be a "walk up and finish him on the ground"type thing. The only advantage an O/U has is over a bolt rifle, for the second shot, and the third, and fourth will be much faster for the S/S!

quote:
When reloading speed doesn't matter, the O/U has the advantage. When was the last time you saw a serious competitor use a SxS for skeet or trap competition?

The same smaller required opening angle that makes SxS faster to load also makes them easy to load in a cramped blind. So many favor SxS in a duck blind.

...................... Roll Eyes........ space... jumping

When was the last time you saw any double rifle used for skeet & trap competition, is a better question! The rifle, and shotgun uses are two distinctly different applications that bear no paralell. Your analogy is like compareing hedging sheers to a pair of scissors for cutting hair!

The O/U double rifle has absolutely no advantage, other than the price of the O/U, over a side by side double rifle, be it small or large chambering! All other features of the O/U in double rifles, fall in the negative column! The difference is far and above simple aesthetics!

coffee

....Mac >>>===(x)===> MacD37, ...and DUGABOY1
DRSS Charter member
"If I die today, I've had a life well spent, for I've been to see the Elephant, and smelled the smoke of Africa!"~ME 1982

Hands of Old Elmer Keith

Posts: 14634 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote