New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shooting the .600NE V-C
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Well, I finally got around to shooting the new .600NE double. Honestly, I loved it! This new gun fits me alot better than the .577NE did, and it was alot of fun to shoot.

I fired it a total of 8 times in about 5 minutes - but below is my initial 3 shot group at 35 yards, off hand (I forgot my sticks). The first shot was the center-low shot, which I fired just a single shot. The other two shots were both barrels fired in rapid sucession. Dis-regard the smaller hole in the middle, that was my .300 RUM - I was just checking it at 100 yards.

Paul kindly sent me some loaded rounds a few weeks ago, and the CEB boys have loaded and sent me 50 additional rounds that will be here by Friday. I'm no shooting expert, but I'll take it at 35 yards - off hand. The CEB's seem to shoot just fine, now I can't wait to see what the .600NE does to a Zim elephant next month! Hopefully I shoot this time, better than my last outing with the double (I also hope my PH is not reading this thread Eeker)

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
303-619-2872: Cell
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, where do you get those 6-foot square targets? :-)

Posts: 20106 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Biebs!

That was priceless!

Fact of the matter, I am thinking he is already MOE (Minute of Elephant).

Matt

Posts: 374 | Location: Anchorage AK | Registered: 26 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
He will need to get closer than 35 yards for a brain shot.

Big Grin
465H&H

Posts: 5686 | Location: Nampa, Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Aaron,
Sounds like you had a great outing. tu2

Never mind Biebs, he's just suffering withdrawal from lack of a big bore double. Wink

NRA Lifer; DSC Lifer; SCI member; DRSS; AR member since November 9 2003

Don't Save the best for last, the smile for later or the "Thanks" for tomorow

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Biebs:
Aaron, where do you get those 6-foot square targets? :-)

Same place I get my target holder - Goodwill!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

Posts: 4884 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

And judging by my watching your hunting DVDs, your hunting clothes as well!!!! :-)

Posts: 20106 | Location: Very NW NJ up in the Mountains | Registered: 14 June 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Never mind Biebs, he's just suffering withdrawal from lack of a big bore double. Wink

Hey, seems to me I remember a certain Granite Mountain AHR 600 OK somewhere in my gunroom, no? You know...the one you could actually hit stuff with? :-)

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Hey, seems to me I remember a certain Granite Mountain AHR 600 OK somewhere in my gunroom, no? You know...the one you could actually hit stuff with? :-)

You mean you still own it? That must be a record for duration of ownership for you

Besides, I did say double

Posts: 3460 | Location: In the Shadow of Griffin&Howe | Registered: 24 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

And judging by my watching your hunting DVDs, your hunting clothes as well!!!! :-)

When at Goodwill, never pass up a deal!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Glad you are enjoying your new toy! Shoot it alot and try to use a smaller than 6X6 target. Just because you are going to shoot elephant doesn't mean you need a bigger target for practice. HA HA I like the shoot and see 5.5 inch black bulleye targets for shooting a double. The front sight usually just covers the target at 50 yards.

Sam

Posts: 2830 | Location: NC | Registered: 08 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Sam,

Don't pressure Aaron - he's a hunter, not a shooter. BOOM

He's "on paper" and I'm looking forward to a DVD with a barage of .620 CEBs being flung at large creatures. beer

If he practices too much it'll go down with one shot - makes for poor theater ... rotflmo

BTW - loved those 577s you brewed up for Aaron. They shoot mighty nice as can be seen in the other thread tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc,

OK I'll wait for the DVD.

Glad you liked that ammo, it was the same load that killed the first big game animal with the original BBW#13. My elephant!

Sam

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
CCMDoc,

OK I'll wait for the DVD.

Glad you liked that ammo, it was the same load that killed the first big game animal with the original BBW#13. My elephant!

Sam

I think they chrono'ed at just under 2,000fps out of my 24" barrels and regulated quite nicely.

I guess I'll need to stock up on Rl-15 and get some of those cardboard wads you used.

Oh, and I think I have the case that fired that CEB that took that elephant.

Unfortunately it found its way into the tumbler and the documentation on the case was scrubbed away

One of Us
Picture of DCS Member
posted Hide Post
Please don't clutter up the DR forum before the softball raffle. I plan to do plenty of that soon.

I meant to be DSC Member...bad typing skills.

Marcus Cady

DRSS

Posts: 3434 | Location: Dallas | Registered: 19 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
Aaron,

Did you see any 600's for sale there at Goodwill? I'll take 2 if you do!

One of Us
Picture of Todd Williams
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DCS Member:
Please don't clutter up the DR forum before the softball raffle. I plan to do plenty of that soon.

Hate to tell you Marcus, but that winning ticket sits on my bar as we speak. I will let you shoot it though. Just say when!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Man, you guys are killin me!!

First off, I use big targets cause I can't see worth a darn, and I use a big gun, cause I can't shoot worth a darn! Seems logical to me????

And now you dudes want to talk about practice, I mean we're talking about practice, really???? Practice what?? With that darn guy, all I do is point and pull! Sometimes eyes open, sometimes eyes closed - what's the difference? All practice does is "make perfect", and I am far from that. Besides, like Doc says - if I practice too much, I will become too proficient with the gun, and the next DVD will not be near as dramatic! I prefer all the running across the Zimbabwe savannah, bullets flying in all directions (literally) and the end result of a charging buffalo. Too much practice would eliminate all of that fun, thus I for one - refuse to practice!

I tell every PH I ever hunt with, the exact same thing. I know exactly what I am looking for, and exactly how to kill it (most of the time) your job is to get me there (since I have no idea where we are going) Once we find it, I suggest you get behind me before the shooting starts!!!! shocker

I'm a hunter, not a shooter - and I am sticking to that story boys! BOOM

Todd, Goodwill was out of .600's - but I did manage to get some more safari clothes for Biebs!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
Man, you guys are killin me!!

First off, I use big targets cause I can't see worth a darn, and I use a big gun, cause I can't shoot worth a darn! Seems logical to me????

And now you dudes want to talk about practice, I mean we're talking about practice, really???? Practice what?? With that darn guy, all I do is point and pull! Sometimes eyes open, sometimes eyes closed - what's the difference? All practice does is "make perfect", and I am far from that. Besides, like Doc says - if I practice too much, I will become too proficient with the gun, and the next DVD will not be near as dramatic! I prefer all the running across the Zimbabwe savannah, bullets flying in all directions (literally) and the end result of a charging buffalo. Too much practice would eliminate all of that fun, thus I for one - refuse to practice!

I tell every PH I ever hunt with, the exact same thing. I know exactly what I am looking for, and exactly how to kill it (most of the time) your job is to get me there (since I have no idea where we are going) Once we find it, I suggest you get behind me before the shooting starts!!!! shocker

I'm a hunter, not a shooter - and I am sticking to that story boys! BOOM

Todd, Goodwill was out of .600's - but I did manage to get some more safari clothes for Biebs!

Please tell me not one of Buzz's mankinis ... shocker barf

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'll take the leather Fedora and flip-flops, but I wouldn't be caught dead with that beat-up old Ruger 416!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

Doc, I think they call them THONGS these days :-)

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
Isn't that a question better asked to Larry? Wink

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Isn't that a question better asked to Larry? Wink

No, those are called "Panties" :-)

One of Us
Picture of Mike Brooks
posted Hide Post
And you would know this? How?

NRA Life
ASSRA Life
DRSS

Today's Quote:
Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Give a man a welfare check, a free cell phone with free monthly minutes, food stamps, section 8 housing, a forty ounce malt liquor, a crack pipe and some Air Jordan's and he votes Democrat for a lifetime.

Posts: 4096 | Location: Cherkasy Ukraine  | Registered: 19 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Too many hunting trips together followed by years of tormenting nightmares!!!!!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
so that's why Larry smiles like a chimp all the time shocker shocker shocker

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No, I think it's the Chimp genes. His family doesn't have a gene pool, it's more of a cesspool!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i thought it was a puddle not pool

Posts: 3818 | Location: kenya, tanzania,RSA,Uganda or Ethophia depending on day of the week | Registered: 27 May 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
Wading out of this morass and getting back to Aaron and his Verney-Carron 600 Nitro Express ...

I for one would like to be with him while he flings a fistfull of brass CEBs at a charging wall of grey. BOOM

Of course I would be happily doing the same ... tu2

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:
Wading out of this morass and getting back to Aaron and his Verney-Carron 600 Nitro Express ...

I for one would like to be with him while he flings a fistfull of brass CEBs at a charging wall of grey. BOOM

Sounds fun!!!!!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aaron Neilson:
quote:
Originally posted by CCMDoc:

Sounds fun!!!!!

Damn right beer

One of Us
posted Hide Post
CCMDoc, Are you sure you just don't want to pick up all that 600 brass for yourself!

One of Us
Picture of CCMDoc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by srose:
CCMDoc, Are you sure you just don't want to pick up all that 600 brass for yourself!

I plan to borrow the buterfly net you used for Michael - no, not the one the guys in the white jump suits used on him - the one you used to catch the brass from your 500 ...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I used a 12 X 12 seine net! HEH HEH

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sam, If you mean 12 foot x 12 foot, maybe those folks could make targets for when Aaron decides to shoot the 600 at 75 yards! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes 12 ft X 12 ft. You know those VCs throw brass a long way and Michael would let them fly in all directions. You would wear yourself out with a butterfly net.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Sam, If you mean 12 foot x 12 foot, maybe those folks could make targets for when Aaron decides to shoot the 600 at 75 yards! :-)

Why in the world would I do that? I can't even see that far!!! But hey, an elephant is roughly 12' x 12' isn't it? So, I should be ok out to 75 yards - right?

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Aaron, that should work. As you told me, based on your years of DG experience, even a shot in the foot of an Ele should be instantly fatal with your big new shootin' iron! :-)

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Aaron, that should work. As you told me, based on your years of DG experience, even a shot in the foot of an Ele should be instantly fatal with your big new shootin' iron! :-)

Instantly fatal shot to the foot?? Ok, I'll give that a try!

Aaron Neilson
Global Hunting Resources
globalhunts@aol.com
www.huntghr.com

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You da man!